how can i boot a liveCD from HDD

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
DeeVeeDee

how can i boot a liveCD from HDD

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Hi I have a live ISO which i created in ubuntu with remastersys.

How can i install GRUB from scratch not having windows or linux installed.

Do you get like a grub boot install CD so that i can install grub.?

then create a ext3 partition then copy my remastered Ubuntu disk to the partition, then configure grub2 to load my ISO?
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: how can i boot a liveCD from HDD

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Why don't you just install your remastered Ubuntu? You're making life incredibly complicated for what will essentially give you exactly what an installed Ubuntu will give you, but with hindered performance and the inability to have anything stick.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Why don't you just install your remastered Ubuntu? You're making life incredibly complicated for what will essentially give you exactly what an installed Ubuntu will give you, but with hindered performance and the inability to have anything stick.
If you can tell me how i would appreciate it.

Cus at the moment when i run my remastered Disk it boots into the os like i want it to, but it does not have any option to install , like
the original Ubuntu live CD.

Please tell me you have done this before and you can remaster a cd with the install option available ?
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, of course I have, I was an Ubuntu user for a few years :) You missed an option in the remastering process. Go back and remaster again, and make sure to get the right options. I've never had this problem :)
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Yeah, of course I have, I was an Ubuntu user for a few years :) You missed an option in the remastering process. Go back and remaster again, and make sure to get the right options. I've never had this problem :)
This is awesome news!
Off i am to remaster....., Ive been remastering in a VM it takes looooong.
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

I previously was using remaster for ubuntu 8.x instead of remastersys for 9.10

It now works great!, thanks for the help
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Cool man. Glad you came right :)
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

I thought i came right but, after using the install option.
It installes fine it copies the files to HDD but right at the end is says

The grub-pc package failed to install and your computer will not be able to boot.
Ive searched google and there is quite a few people who gets this.

I managed to manually install grub to HD and configure the Grub menu to boot ubuntu.

on which ver of ubuntu did you get remastersys to work propperly ?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hmmm, I stopped using Ubuntu around 9.10, and I used Ubuntu from about 7.04 until 9.10. I used Remastersys on all of those versions in between (7.04, 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10)
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Hmmm, I stopped using Ubuntu around 9.10, and I used Ubuntu from about 7.04 until 9.10. I used Remastersys on all of those versions in between (7.04, 7.10, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10)
Thanks
Maybe i'm using the wrong remastersys from the wrong repository.
I'm quite happy to fix grub manually after the installation.
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Okay back on this.

Say i want to use this Os on a PC which should operate like an appliance.
No monitor , keyboard or mouse connected.

And say you often switch it on and off. (Hard off as in pulling out the power plug)

Will it not be better to use Grub2 to load an ISO LiveImage instead of a normal boot.
and mount the rest of the space on boot up which ubuntu does anyways.

Reason i ask it, File systems which is not unmounted properly has a risk of becoming corrupt.
So the chances are less cus the image is readonly so the whole image will have to go corrupt before it will not
work anymore, instead of some system file that goes dodgy preventing the system to boot again ?

Edit.

Can remastersys be used on a different Installation which is just mounted and not running.
Cus i can then
Boot and Fix the os in to the state i want it to be then hybernate it.
Once hybernated remastersys it to be a live CD, then then when it boots it will boot, loading its hybernation memory file back into memory
making it boot allot quicker or not ?