Routing across multiple Vlans

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Ryan_Cooper

Routing across multiple Vlans

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

ok this is my problem that i have now.

I have a a Centos Linux server with 2 network interfaces, one plugged into the ADSL router and the other interface (eth0) is plugged into the Vlan Switch. the port on the vlan switch has been configured to only one Vlan ID. I need to setup this Centos server to act as a Gateway/Proxy for multiple Vlans across the network (5 Vlans in all).

Can someone please explain to me how this is done or point me to a proper how to.
I have tried creating vlan configs on the eth0 interface but with no luck. not too sure what else to do or if maybe I did the whole setup wrong.
THE GAME........YOU Have JUST LOst It !!!!!!!!!!
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Routing across multiple Vlans

Post by Nuke »

First question, what switch do you use? You will need a switch that supports vlan trunking if you want different vlans.

Here is guide to do the CentOS part http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-con ... -vlan.html
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

I'am using a Switch that can support trunking, but changing the current port on the switch from the currently allocated Vlan ID to a be used as a trunk is not really an option as I have another server running RHL9 (an older server) which has been setup to do this, how I dont know, it was setup by a guy a couple of years ago and we cant get hold of him any more) and its port on the switch is not setup with trunking.

I have Squid installed and working as well as Shorewall installed on the server but i can only access the Centos server from one Vlan when I use the ADSL router as the default Gateway.
Ryan_Cooper

Post by Ryan_Cooper »

OK i finally sorted the problem out.
I found that after changing the port on the switch to a trunk port and adding the different vlans to the trunk port it still didnt work, the problem was that shorewall was running but had not been setup to route for the vlan interfaces, so i s=changed the config files for shorewall and removed eth0 and added my vlan interfaces, when i restarted shorewall after i made the changes everything worked