Help a Linux newbie

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Loc

Help a Linux newbie

Post by Loc »

Hey guys,
I recently joined up here after getting back into the PC scene..so now I'm hoping the Linux people are as friendly and helpful as I've heard :wink:
I have a pc with two hard drives, the primary HDD is running Vista. I recently installed Ubuntu 9.10 on the secondary drive. Now the problem is I don't know how to set it to dualboot. When I start the pc with both drives plugged in, it automatically boots to Vista. If I want to use Ubuntu I have to boot from CD, which is abit of an inconvenience. I've read some how -to's and it sounds like I have to first boot into Ubuntu and then change something that should give me a dualboot option when starting my pc.

Any ideas?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: Help a Linux newbie

Post by Monty »

Did you install Ubuntu with both the HDDs plugged in?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Loc

Post by Loc »

No..I was so scared of accidentally formatting the primary drive or something I unplugged it.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Back up your primary drive and then install linux in the second one while both drives are plugged in.

Or wait for eternally knowledgeable IronOxideDog or other people with linux knowledge to help
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, the reason it's not dual booting is because Linux thought there was no other OS. What you need to do (in future) is install Linux with all your HDDs plugged in, and just be sure not to format the wrong drive.

Now, however, you'll need to install GRUB. I haven't done this in ages, so I can't help, but that's what you need to do, so it's a step in the right direction :P

Alternatively (and this is what I would do, unless my Linux install is NOT brand new), you could just reinstall Linux :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

I just did the newb thing and installed it within windows :lol: .Dont know if it affects peformance

edit:That didnt sound right.Guess it's too early
Loc

Post by Loc »

Thanks everyone. Well I haven't really done anything with it yet so I could just uninstall it and reinstall with both drives. Better hope I don't partition the wrong one then
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

ok... i have a total noob question so noob i didnt want to start a new thread D:

i just installed debian on my nokia n900 ... where do i get software for it ? and what can i do with debian I dont know how to use linux at all so some direction into some noob guides would be nice

Appreciate it :D
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers