Linux Help Guides

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Linux Help Guides

Post by Thrall »

Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
jee

Post by jee »

"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
axe346

Thanks

Post by axe346 »

Thanks for the Links I found more focust help on them.

//Edited - Jan 18 2006 6:28PM
For networking / Internet info on Linux (If the wizards don`t work)
IW PCs - Isle of Wight computer help
Last edited by axe346 on 18 Jan 2006, 18:28, edited 2 times in total.
Believe is for those who aren`t sure. I know -The Collector. It was my brother who broke it , I just fixed it (and know it will never work) - Personal qoute
Thrall
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrall »

Be polite, professional and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

My Iraq pics
Kiran

Post by Kiran »

Puppy Linux Forum

I cant emphasise how important it is to join a LUG. These organisations are invaluable, since one can learn much more by interacting with other people rather than just reading terse documentation.

You don't have to be in the exact location of the LUG to join, they will always welcome you. If you are close to the LUG's principal location, then you can even get together to discuss FLOSS and make good friends!

Also LUG's are great "swop shops." Everybody exchanges the latest distros and other cool FLOSS related items that are otherwise inaccessable. For example, some members have broadband and download the big DVD stuff. You then just give them a blank and they'll burn you a copy.

Major LUG's (Linux User Groups):

Durban LUG

Gauteng LUG

Cape LUG

Smaller LUG's:

Tuks LUG

East Rand LUG

UCT LUG

And ofcourse there are many more "associations" that are not online. Ask around your local campus and you're almost certain to find a small group of enthusiasts.
What is this "Microsoft" that you speak of? Washing powder? Coffee? Correction fluid? I can't figure it out. Anyone else know?
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

Kernel Newbies:
http://www.kernelnewbies.org :
IRC Server : irc.oftc.net
IRC Channel : #kernelnewbies
Mailing list : http://www.kernelnewbies.org/MailingList

Its for those who are working with the Linux Kernel, beginners -> moderate users, I guess.
Their IRC channel was very supportive and helpful, liked it. I'm not a fan for mailing lists, especially when a question pops in my inbox every 10 minutes.
FrazerFoff

Linux & XP

Post by FrazerFoff »

Hi,

I recently installed Linux on my windows hard drive, since then I cannot see the drive in windows or in Bios, however when I boot I can choose to boot from the Linux drive and this allows me to view all the windows docs.

Know how do I get all the information of this drive as Linux does not give me the option to copy to Flash Drives or burn a CD?
mav3rick

Post by mav3rick »

Ok. Windows can't see Linux partitions ... there's nothing that I know of to do that.

In linux though you can see windows partitions. And when you insert a flash disk it should automount and you should be able to write to it if its formated as FAT.
AMD64 3800+ 939 Venice | Foxconn 6150K8MA-8KRS | 2x512MB Corsair DDR400 | 250GB WD SATA2 | Liteon SHM-165P6S | AOpen 450W PSU | BenQ FP71G+ LCD
Last-Attacker

Post by Last-Attacker »

* Removed because of server problems *
Last edited by Last-Attacker on 11 Feb 2007, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.
Futs

Post by Futs »

mav3rick wrote:Ok. Windows can't see Linux partitions ... there's nothing that I know of to do that.

In linux though you can see windows partitions. And when you insert a flash disk it should automount and you should be able to write to it if its formated as FAT.
There is a Ext2FS driver for Windows which allows you to view that type of file system though.
LPL

Post by LPL »

Hi All..

I need some help. I want to install Linux onto my hard drive with existing installation of window Xp on, but i don't want to lose any data. I want to be able to dual boot both OS's.. Please bear with me. I'm a little slow with Linux.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Well, I'd get partition magic, then create a partition for my ubuntu and then install. :) With partition magic you don't lose your data when resizing your partitions.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Or you can just resize your partition (for free) with the Linux Installation CD ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Or you can just resize your partition (for free) with the Linux Installation CD ;)
You can do that? 8O :!:
Could've saved myself a lot of trouble!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
LPL

Post by LPL »

Perfect Thank you.. I wasn't sure if i would lose any of my data .. I'll give it a try.. thanks all..
1rr3t4t3d

Re: Linux Help Guides

Post by 1rr3t4t3d »

mmm, I was thinking would it not be a good idea to have on the first page of this thread, ( edited regularly) a index and link to guides for the most commonly asked Linus issues. Like Setting up Compiz, Display Driver installation, Installing Linux from scratch, dual booting etc ??

another thread revival brought to you by me
Even Congregate thinks I am 1337
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Linux Help Guides

Post by Ron2K »

I'm sure that any moderator would edit the first post of this thread if you'd PM them with a reasonable request. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.