8XXX series benchmarking questions

Post your scores or get advice on how to better them.
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

8XXX series benchmarking questions

Post by wizardofid »

I'm really concerned about the benchmarking preformance I'm getting from my GFX it doesn't seem to be correct yet everthing works fine.

The system
3.0 Pentuim D930
2 Gig ram (fair latency)
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GT 256MB D(600 2D/600 3D/1500 Mem)

The scores
3D mark 01 22067
3D mark 03 14000
3D mark 05 7500
3D mark 06 4500
My previous card was a 6800XT it is a great card gave very close preformance to the 7600GS the main reason I never upgraded to the 7XXX series.

However the scores completely sux.They don't preform at all as I expected infact some games are worse now.It seems the older the game the worse it ran, any game around 2001 upwards to about 2004 ran slow.

The 6800XT scored around 19500 with a little OC it got around 2300 in 3D mark 01.Yet the 8600GT has no preformance gain what so ever and a weird thing the frame rate is extremely jumpy in the benchmarks.

For one in 3Dmark 01 the first bench with the truck it would be running at 324 Frames and just drop to 16 and then back to 144 and continue the rest of the way much the same.....

I can't run Quake 4 it has jumpy frame rate it would stick a 60 frames but the screen jerked so much you can't play the game this is with AA & AF maxed out and disabled.

However tomb raider legend ran perfectly fine with next gen content enabled and never dropped a frame below 70.

latestest drivers latest every thing doesn't seem to help at all even a clean install only helped a few points more.

My main concern is the low benchmarking preformance.What gives.

Has any one else got the same problem.?
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

Dude,

The 8600GTS has roughly the same performance as a 7900GT.

The 8600GT on the other hand, is like half the card.

So your graphics card is the first problem.

Second problem is your CPU. Yes, its dual core. But its a Pentium 4 dual core.
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

If i remember right that pentium is a 775 socket processor! so dude if you want a MUCH better rig, save a bit of cash, sell that pentium and go for a C2D (im considering selling my E6600 BTW!!!!!! :wink: )

Also if you can sell your 8600GT and Get a 8600GTS, i estimate with just those upgrades you will see 2x the performance your getting and up... lol.

my 2cents...
Rob~!
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Stop the bus before right there before you start blaming CPU's and GFX.
I'm well aware what card I got and I'm happy with it.I have no need for a GTS or a 8800 SUPER SUPER DUPER GTS QUADDRIPPLE X EDITION

However listen closely to what I'm asking if you search becnhmarks you would see the 8600GT being able to trash the 6800XT(closely check the XT this card is not a special triple X edition it's a LE card with DDR3 memory)

Yet this 8600GT only getting half the scores it's suppose to be getting?????
What I'm asking is this normal preformance does any one else with the same system have the same 3D mark scores or is some thing driver related or software or hardware causing problems it should not be doing.

Why is it that a 6800"LE" with half the pipes still kicks the 8600GT which I must add is two gens behind the 8600GT.

What I'm asking DX9.0c royally screwing with this card because how in the world would it score only 20 points more than a 6800"LE"

There is no logic behind it
A question you didn't anwser is why is the older games preforming worse now???
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Your benchmark scores are not too bad, the average score for 3dm06 with an E6600 is around 5000 so your card more or less fits into this range. 3dm01 is CPU limited and 05 so no matter what card you use, you'll only get small jumps.

One thing about the 8600GT, it's DX9 performance isn't up to scratch and it gets beaten out by the 7600GT in a few benchmarks. But it will have good, or at least better, performance in shader heavy games like Oblivion than it will with older games that rely more on texturing (relatively speaking when compared with older gen cards).

I can't really comment too much on your jumpy frame rate. Have you tried with a clean install of windows. I had the same problem before with my rig when I went SLI and it turned out that windows was heavily underclocking the memory. The memory speed was being set to half of what it should be and it was being displayed as double. I manually had to set the clock speed to 2.4Ghz to get it to run at DDR1200. The problem persisted when I ran with only one card. Just a suggestion, but I doubt you have the same problem...
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

btw the c2d cpu is also a lga775 cpu rob just like the p4 hahaha :P my 5c hahaha
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Hex_Rated wrote:Your benchmark scores are not too bad, the average score for 3dm06 with an E6600 is around 5000 so your card more or less fits into this range. 3dm01 is CPU limited and 05 so no matter what card you use, you'll only get small jumps.

One thing about the 8600GT, it's DX9 performance isn't up to scratch and it gets beaten out by the 7600GT in a few benchmarks. But it will have good, or at least better, performance in shader heavy games like Oblivion than it will with older games that rely more on texturing (relatively speaking when compared with older gen cards).

I can't really comment too much on your jumpy frame rate. Have you tried with a clean install of windows. I had the same problem before with my rig when I went SLI and it turned out that windows was heavily underclocking the memory. The memory speed was being set to half of what it should be and it was being displayed as double. I manually had to set the clock speed to 2.4Ghz to get it to run at DDR1200. The problem persisted when I ran with only one card. Just a suggestion, but I doubt you have the same problem...
As for the jumpy frame rate...Well the first two tests with the truck the tests jumps from 324 frame to 5 frames and shoots back to 300 again at random jumps to 5.Did a clean install last night running drivers 163.71
Mabye is should make a movie of the two tests...

What I can't understand is that all the tests on the 8600Gt is double the frame rate of the 6800XT yet the only 2000 points more.Like you said is CPU limited which a fully understand.The question begs how does the software give you a mark...when clearly the 8600GT is better..

No OC

Image No OC
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

RobThePyro wrote:If i remember right that pentium is a 775 socket processor! so dude if you want a MUCH better rig, save a bit of cash, sell that pentium and go for a C2D (im considering selling my E6600 BTW!!!!!! :wink: )

Also if you can sell your 8600GT and Get a 8600GTS, i estimate with just those upgrades you will see 2x the performance your getting and up... lol.

my 2cents...
Rob~!
Also, please remember that not all LGA775 motherboards support Core2 processors... My Gigabyte one is one of those... There is no Bios update or anything to allow for Core2...

Thus just saying he should buy a Core2 CPU could actually cost him MONEY that would be a waste, seeing as he would then have to buy another MOBO as well...

Careful what you tell people when working with HW - You might just waste someone else's money...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

also you dont wanna be buying a c2d cpu, and find out later you cant buy a entry level c2d motherboard cause one that supports a higher fsb is quite costly.
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I don't trust 3dm01 or Aquamark any more for GPU benching. 3dm01 is very outdated and uses DX8.1. If you increase your CPU speed to 3.4Ghz and redo the tests, I'm sure you'll see the gap between the 2 cards increase. Even the 6800XT is probably CPU bound in that bench. Just to put it into context, I get around 19,000 with a 5900XT on a 2.6 Ghz P4, which is significantly less powerful than your setup.
Last edited by Hex_Rated on 01 Oct 2007, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

ya remember that 3dm01 is very much a cpu benchmark, and also that the others are heavy on your gfx card, and the 8600gt is actually doing quite well for those considering ur cpu.

id say your results are quite good for the bottle necking thats been done.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Slasher wrote:
RobThePyro wrote:If i remember right that pentium is a 775 socket processor! so dude if you want a MUCH better rig, save a bit of cash, sell that pentium and go for a C2D (im considering selling my E6600 BTW!!!!!! :wink: )

my 2cents...
Rob~!
Also, please remember that not all LGA775 motherboards support Core2 processors... My Gigabyte one is one of those... There is no Bios update or anything to allow for Core2...

Thus just saying he should buy a Core2 CPU could actually cost him MONEY that would be a waste, seeing as he would then have to buy another MOBO as well...

Careful what you tell people when working with HW - You might just waste someone else's money...
My mobo does support C2D but there is no reason to upgrade to it yet as most games still rely on single cores and multi core games only really started now showing the benifit of having a muliti core CPU...
RobThePyro

Post by RobThePyro »

Lol, well he didnt specify motherboard so i couldnt check, im just saying atleast the sockects are compatiable and if the motherboard is can do C2D it would be a GREAT upgrade for a small price and chances are his Mobo and Ram will be good enough to keep!!!

lol.... yea just my 69Cents
Rob~!
PCF Dumbass of the Month Award!
"My lungs are in SLI :P"
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Wiz - I thought as much, but I still felt it needed to be said - Other people also read these threads and take advice directly from it...

My D930 also runs perfectly well - I would love a C2D, but by the time I upgrade I will get a C2Q. I got a 7800GT from a friend to loan for free indefinitely, which should be a nice little boost from my 7600GT...

Now I just need the time to test it out...
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Sadly Windows XP drivers sux big time had a go at vista made sure every thing was upto date ect.

And guess what no more jumpy frame rates no poor preformance.

The score 30560 3D mark 2001 points I knew some thing was fishy
and now I know XP can't handle the 8 series well enough....

*edit*
to add to my suprise
DX10 runs perfectly well on this card tested Lost Planet DX10 demo with meduim settings overall and a screen res of 1280 x 960 and got a stable frame rate of 27 just a bit under what I deem playable but very nice.

At every thing maxed out got 8 frames much to my suprise my expected preformance was that it would 1 or 2 frames ....