Hard Disk Overclock issue

Post your scores or get advice on how to better them.
Furion
Location: in the last vestiges of sanity that my mind provides

Hard Disk Overclock issue

Post by Furion »

Morning all

I was wondering if there was anyone who knows what to do with this problem. I am overclocking my system and when I try increase it from 3.4ghz to 3.6ghz I get a boot but what happens is that I get an error that says "couldnt load operating system" and what also happens is that it cant load windows at all. I have no loading screen either.

My voltages are fine. In my bios I have tried enabling spread spectrum and also tried setting my memory timings to the least aggressive and set my Dram driving to high. yet I still cant load windows.

Though I get a solid boot. I turn the clock back down and everything runs fine

Specs:

Pentium 4 3.2ghz LGA775 2mb cache
Pcchips P21G Mobo
1024 mb Ram ddr 400
80 gig SATA hard drive
Gainward 6800GS Golden Sample 512mb (481/1401)

Please help :cry:
Give me a place to stand, and i shall move the earth.

Credits:
2567 forum points. (thanks to a special feline Tribble)
Firestrm for being my resident nut (Gracias Senor)
Badguy for the great sig.
_

Post by _ »

Maybe change your title to something like "Hard drive issues when overclocking".. cause it sounds like you are ocing your HDD !!...

After setting up the overclock, make sure that your boot settings are still corect ie first boot HDD.. etc etc
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

i found i also get this issue. it seems windows doesn't like you to get a faster processor. thats whats basically happening when you OC you fool your pc into thinking you have a new chip. Windows considers this a major upgrade and then wants you to reinstall
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

No, what happens is your ide controller runs off the pci bus if this isn't locked to standard spec, your ide controller doesn't work properly, and can give you corruption on your HDD.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

KillerByte wrote:i found i also get this issue. it seems windows doesn't like you to get a faster processor. thats whats basically happening when you OC you fool your pc into thinking you have a new chip. Windows considers this a major upgrade and then wants you to reinstall
ummm. ok. Like windows is that stupid
Belix

Post by Belix »

hehe.

You need to change a number of componants for Windows to have issues, and even then, I think i may be only when you try and reinstall windows, but I'm not certain. The key is linked to a number of computer componanats. Change enough of them, and it looks like a new system.

One of the componants in the system can't handle the overclock. As Hman says, the front side bus affects more than just the CPU, although in some motherboards, you can set various clock speeds independently.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Bobendren

Post by Bobendren »

The sata clock is sensitive to overclocks. You need to look for some sort of lock in he bios. Try a pata hdd to test that it is the sata clock causing the problem.

Also disable anything "spread spectrum"
RevQ

Post by RevQ »

Are you overclocking by changing the bus speed? That could cause issues with certain controllers, rather change the multiple rate setting for the cpu if you can, or go with a lower bus speed increase, try and find a point that it's stable at. And dont stress about windows installs, wtf
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Dude! What a dissapointment. I thought ur were the 1st person in the world to pull off a hdd OC.

_ is right, u might wanna change the title...
Last edited by SoulBlade on 23 Aug 2006, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Welcome to the forums RevQ.

Hope you enjou your stay. Make sure to read the forum rules.
_

Post by _ »

KillerByte wrote:Windows considers this a major upgrade and then wants you to reinstall
So you are telling me that the guys from extreme oc actually re-install XP daily ? :roll:
No offence, but changing your bus speed is not going to warrant a format/reload... Otherwise poor Jim down the road has to format when he upgrades his DDR 266 to DDR 400 ?
Fcon_Vpro

Post by Fcon_Vpro »

Ive had this problem a few times.

Usually happens to me when I push my CPU too high.

And I had it before when using one of my dividers... seems like the motherboard or OS doesnt like that divider.

Also had that problem when you change memory timings. But loosening the timings usually solves the problem.

Ive only ever gotten that problem once and then had to reinstall windows.

Basically if this happens... your system isnt stable and you need to change/lower your oc.
Furion

Post by Furion »

Hello everyone

Thank you very much for all your help thus far. I have looked in my BIOS settings and it seems that I cant find anything that helps. I have tried switching auto detect PCI dimm clock off and also tried adjusting the Hard disc settings and even switching oo the RAID controller just to see. And still No luck. I have loosened timings and also tried locking the RAM to one speed. still no luck.

Voltages are stable.

When I change some settings it now says please insert boot device and press any key or it says unable to load OS and also just shows me a blinking cursor without any activity. Im trying all I can. :evil:

Any Further suggestions?

many thanks, :) you people rock.
Give me a place to stand, and i shall move the earth.

Credits:
2567 forum points. (thanks to a special feline Tribble)
Firestrm for being my resident nut (Gracias Senor)
Badguy for the great sig.
Cupis

Post by Cupis »

im real real noob at overclocking.... but there is two things from what i aundersatnd that could be a problem.... when the overclocking becomes to radical ie cpu no longer stable windows does not boot up... only way to test a stable oc cpu is run a diagnostic tool in windows... so if you can't get in you know its not stable

OR

what i have read SATA is extremely sensative to overclocking... just a little bit and it complains so the best way is just to not oc it att all... so focus on ram and cpu timing over total system timings....

like i said please correct me... i not expecting to be right... since i have never performed a "proper" oc... by myself that is... i am really noob..[/b]
killadoob

Post by killadoob »

i overclocked my hdd from 7200 to 10000 hahaha

o no wait i bought a raptor
_

Post by _ »

You crack me up

naughty

Post by naughty »

Hman wrote:No, what happens is your ide controller runs off the pci bus if this isn't locked to standard spec, your ide controller doesn't work properly, and can give you corruption on your HDD.
heres the answer staring you in the face - you need to make sure that the pci/agp/pci-e/SATA busses are all locked
Furion

Post by Furion »

Hello everyone. Thank you very much for all the help you guys have given me. Its really appreciated. I tried and eventually got windows to boot at 3.6ghz with an fsb of 225mhz. Problem is that it corrupted some parts of windows. I did a repair of windows successfully. My question is if i keep it at 3.6ghz and fully repair windows at that clock speed will it fix the corruption problem?

Post by Guest »

Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

No, if your drive got corrupted, because of the overclock, and you keep it that way it will just corrupt different places on the drive.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
solo

Post by solo »

This used to be a common problem with older motherboard with SATA ports they were not locked and thus increased in speed along with the FSB.

It could also be that you are overclocking your memory too far and thus causing the error as well.

You could try setting your memory to a slower speed than 1:1 with your FSB to rule that out.
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

killadoob wrote:i overclocked my hdd from 7200 to 10000 hahaha

o no wait i bought a raptor
:stupid:

:sleepy:

No, that was actually funny :P
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Papsnoek

Post by Papsnoek »

What if you ope n your HD and replace the motor with a faster one?

Would that be overclocking your HD? (Would that actually work? :idea: )
P5WDH Deluxe 975X
Pentium D 805 2.66Ghz overclocked 3.8Ghz
Corsair DDR2-667 2x512MB XMS2 Twin2X
4-4-4-8 timings@760Mhz
ATI X850XT
250Gb Seagate SATAII HD
Thermaltake PSU 420W
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

1. That is irrelavent.

2. THREAD RESS AHHH!