Lapping is hard work...

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
zimmer-frame

Lapping is hard work...

Post by zimmer-frame »

So, I finally built my new home storage server:

All this (and more) went in to one case. The blue modded case I did a few months ago could not accommodate all the drives, so I had to change it (but the case has a new loving home).

With no real plans to overclock the X4-955, I did bother to buy a new Cooler Master TX3 heatsink, just to keep it cooler than stock. Unfortunately due to stupidity on my side (no surprise) I couldn't fit it. The first build of the machine went with the stock AMD cooler. Prime95 load was 51'C (at night), while idle temps were 33'C..probably going to be a lot hotter in summer.

When I eventually got around to looking at the TX3, the reviews weren't wrong. The base was shockingly uneven.. :shock: :shock: Considering it was R150, I thought I would try lapping it.

First, wife agreed I can use the only glass surface in the house (the coffee table). The kid wants to help:

We're set to start with some 600grit paper:

Even with my crappy Blackberry Curve camera, you can see how terrible the base is..

And the hard work starts...this took a while:

I do have captures of the before and after temperatures, just not with me right now, but I'll post them soon. I only went up to 1200grit, and it seems to have made a difference. Lapped cooler, 29'C idle, 47'C on Prime95 load..

...but I can honestly say, lapping is hard work :mrgreen:

That's 7Tb of space in there, with another 1Tb external connecting to it..movies anyone? :lol:
Intel i-7 950 (4Ghz with HT on) / 3 X 2Gb Kingston Hyper-X (1600MHz) / MSI X58A-GD / 2 x EVGA Nvidia 1Gb 460GTX SuperClocked External Exhaust / 320gb Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD + 2 x Seagate 1TB SATA 6Gb/s/ Corsair H70 Hydro Water Cooling / Corsair TX 850W PSU / CoolerMaster HAF-922 / 2 x 22" Fujitsu LCD Wide
Molean

Re: Lapping is hard work...

Post by Molean »

Cool! I remember lapping one of my old Thermaltake Volcano cpu coolers like 7 years ago. Two of my friends joined me in the task, so it was fun for us. I think we spent 2 or 3 hours lapping, but it came out swimmingly with most of getting a good shine on our bases and temps dropping quite a few degrees. Fun Experience.
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Eish, and I was thinking of buying a TX3 :o .......I think I will rather go for something else now. Btw how can a heatsink with such an uneven surface even pass the QC checks, or does cooler-master not even have QC checks.

Nice server rig btw :D
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I have a TX3 and saw that the bottom was not nice and smooth. I filled the gaps with some heat paste and then stuck it on. Even in summer I don't have an issue. I don't have any figures atm, but I guess lapping might be a good excersize. :D :D

Thanks for the pics. :)

Edit: oh and the gaps are not HUGE. It's just not smooth. :lol:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX