GPU cooling Q

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
ineedmoney18

GPU cooling Q

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Wasup Guys,

Just wanna ask while overclocking your GPU will a GPU cooler be better(before you jump me)
What I mean is will it take away the artifacts like if I am clocking my card quite high but then reach the point of artifacts will a GPU cooler to it any good beside keep it cool ?

cheers
The_Jelly

Re: GPU cooling Q

Post by The_Jelly »

Hey ineedmoney! can u tell us what card u are overclocking? What clocks are u loooking to achieve? and what clocks have u achieved?
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hmmm, there's some terminology issues here.

Your GPU already HAS a cooler on it.

When you overclock, your card will generate more heat, and if you don't manage that heat, it'll artifact. So, if you cool it better, you can overclock more. Better cooling = better GPU cooler :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

If you are not gona do water cooling I would'nt waste my money on an aftermarket aircooler... Reason iv asked about what card you are trying to clock is cause some cards have more oc potential than other cards.... U might already be near your cards limits... But as said by da ja vu in theory the better the cooling, the better the overclock....
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

It depends on your gpu. If your artifacting then you could raise your voltage (if your card allows it) and then the heat will increase,and you could raise the clocks even more,but eventually you will get to a maximum. Some cards have a rather oc potential,others not so much... But as the_jelly said its not really worth spending money on a gpu cooler
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Ok sorry for the late reply,

Currently have a HIS HD5770 iceQ5.

Stock clock was about 850 Mhz and I got it to 950Mhz no voltage tweaks yet my goal was 1 Ghz core. I forgot the other settings must check at home but like for every bump of 15Mhz on me core I did 30 on my memory. That went fine till i reached 960 but by that time I was moving them tiny bit .

Also the other reason is for a GPU cooler is because when i up this fan speed on me card it sounds like a whirlwind:O lol

Clocking the fan speed to 100% is it bad because it sounds scary... I mean literary terms I can here it if i take a dump in the evening lol
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

why not use msi afterburner to set a fan profile so that it doesnt hit a 100 percent.... and if u worried about the noise just overclock your card to an overclock where your temps are reasonable, and your fan profile can be set to a quieter speed and run it like that untill the new 7 series come out and you can put the R500+ that u would of spent on a cooler, towards a new card early next year....
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Cool man I will do that,

was using MSI afterburner i prefer it over Evga,

Thanks
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Ahem.

Back when I first got my X1900GT it had the stock cooler on and everybody that knows the x19xx series knows that they make quite a bit of heat.

This thing hit 110 degrees once with the stock cooler and the card barely oc'ed, it also showed some memory related artefacts.

I bought a Zalman VF200Cu cooler stuck it on the card and voila, clocked the card further without artefacts, noise levels were way lower and temps were manageable. It never exceeded 85 degrees with that cooler on. With the stock cooler the card idled at 75 degrees.

So, yeah an air cooler can still be worth it.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

mmmm intresting I think i will give it a shot,

Do i have to be careful with what GPU cooler I buy? I am talking about fittings etc I am just worried never took a boxed card apart before.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Just check with the maker of the heatsink if it is compatible with the card before you buy.

Zalman is a good brand to look for.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ineedmoney18

Post by ineedmoney18 »

Cool thanks guys i really appreciate it.

Cheers
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

read this thread if u still keen to get a cooler and u can see what other people have done.... go through the pages tho because the first page has a watercooler on it but shows some air coolers too.....
http://www.overclock.net/ati-cooling/59 ... ing-2.html