Read this before asking what kit to buy

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
DAE_JA_VOO

Read this before asking what kit to buy

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

We seem to have a lot of thread popping up about watercooling kits, and the answers are almost always the same. This will serve as a quick, simple guide on getting involved in watercooling.

Step one: If you're not willing to spend at LEAST R3000 on watercooling, and stand the chance (however unlikely) of a leak at one point or another, resulting in dead hardware, stop reading NOW. You're wasting your time.

When i first got involved in Watercooling about 5 years ago, the only reason i wanted it was because it just looked SO cool. That's one of the WORST reason you should start watercooling. While it certainly DOES look awesome, that's a rather silly reason to spend so much money on looks. Unfortunately for me, i care more about looks than hardware performance (I'm a case modder), so i will rather cut corners on my hardware and buy a decent cooling system than focus on performance. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE do this unless you really know what you're doing.

So, you just bought a new Top of the line nVidia GTX 280 XXX Ultra XXX Uber Gamer Aplha XXX Ultra edition, and it's running hot. You decide to get some aftermarket cooling. You also notice that your 32 core Intel 20Ghz processor is running pretty hot too. So, what are all the cool kids doing to cool their systems? Many of them are watercooling.

Now, don't think, for one second, that just because it's water, it's colder. While that IS true on proper system, the inverse is more likely on a budget system. If you want to get involved in watercooling, and it's your first setup, stay far, FAR away from anything made by Zalman, Thermaltake, Gigabyte, Vantec, Coolermaster.... have i left anything out?

Those kits are all crap. Some of them aren't THAT bad, but the price/performance ratio is just SO absurd that it's not worth it. Also, those kits will NOT handle your nVidia GTX 280 XXX Ultra XXX Uber Gamer Aplha XXX Ultra edition, or your 32 core 20Ghz processor, let alone both.

This is the main point i'm trying to make - STAY AWAY FROM THESE KITS. Rather buy high end air coolers by the likes of Thermalright and take your girlfriend shopping with the balance.

If you are willing to lay some HEAVY cash on the table though, you're in for a treat. My first high end cooling system set me back almost 5K. Granted, i was cooling HDDs as well, and had more reservoirs than i needed, but that was, again, for looks. If you want to cool more than just your CPU, you wont be all that far off that value anyway.

I can't tell you now exactly what you must buy for your specific system, but you want to buy stuff made by companies like EK, Dangerden, Aquacomputer, Swiftech and D-Tek, to name a few. Stop over at LandmarkPC and have a look at the stuff they've got. LMPC is the only local distributor of top-end cooling components, and if they don't have something you want, i'm sure they can get it for you. You can also have a look at Performance-PCs. They've got a fantastic selection, and pretty much anything you could want in terms of watercooling.

If you've read this, and still have questions, you're welcome to PM me, should you have any, but i recommend you post a topic on the forum instead, there are many more WC gurus here (Not that i'm suggesting that i'm a guru myself, but i know a thing or two ;) ).

Take Care
Ett
Last edited by DAE_JA_VOO on 22 Oct 2008, 22:15, edited 2 times in total.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Re: Read this before asking what kit to buy

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

im in total agreement here Ettiene, Definitely a sticky please mods.....

BTW linkage for LMPC? :P im lazy to look
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Firestrm wrote:im in total agreement here Ettiene, Definitely a sticky please mods.....

BTW linkage for LMPC? :P im lazy to look
Whoops, links added! :D
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Stuck.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Thanks Ron :)
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Sup Dae

I think I made a oops by buying a Zalman Reserator. There was a place selling it for about 800 bucks cheaper than normal and I decided to buy it.

Now I've got the problem of sitting with a ASUS Maximus II Formula board, a EVGA GTX 260 and a Q6600 chip that all needs cooling. There's NO cooling available for the GXT. What can I do? Wait till they decide, maybe one day, bring out cooling for the card?

Do you have any advise for me? Maybe I should get something different. What would you suggest?

It was a bad move as I only decided to read up about cooling after buying this thing :? :? :?

Your help would be appreciated :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

If i were you, i'd sell off the Zalman and buy a proper set up. If you don't have the green for all that cooling, just revert back to stock air until you get some more cash :)
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Thanks alot. I'm looking at something different at the moment, been checking out what there is but can't decide :cry:

What would you say is best? I've read up a bit... There's a dude that's running a EK EK-FC280 GTX water block on 3 x GTX 280's SLi with a Zalman reserator. Take a look at: http://forums.slizone.com/lofiversion/i ... 29671.html

What I want to do is get a northbridge water block and an EK EK-FC280 GTX water block.

Is that adviseable for now?

What's the big problem with Zalman systems :shock: ? I'm willing to take out the bucks and buy something decent and 'worth the cash'. Eg. CPU water block, northbridge, gpu and hdd coolers aswell as ram coolers if those are available.

Thanks Dae :)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm on holiday at the moment. I'll have a look when i'm back :)
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Thanks alot, your advise and help will be appreciated :D
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Expect a post later today. I'm in the middle of nowhere right now, but i'm 100km from jozi, which is what counts :P

I'm so sick of driving... bleh.
Zombie

Post by Zombie »

Cool, I'll be checking. Lol, where'd you go for holiday?

I've got a Q6600 on a ASUS Maximus II Formula, but the problem is I can't get a water block for the area left and above the cpu socket. So I need something that will work with that aswell as support a GTX 260.

I had a look at a guy that has the same board but not sure what cooling system he's running. :?

Link : http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/system ... -malik.htm

I got the card about a week ago and had to bend here and ther for it to fit into my case. Any suggestions on what case to get, cause I want a mean water cooling set up and space for everything :roll: