OC an AMD 4200+

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
TheModDoctor

OC an AMD 4200+

Post by TheModDoctor »

Hi,
I'm starting to feel real slow when I see all these hot Quad Core 3DMark scores. My AMD 4200+ AM2 Daul core gets....please don't laugh..... 1678 in 3DMark. I tried to OC it myself, but I just don't get realistic results. My stock feq is 2.2 ghz @ 800mhz fsb.
I should probably say that I have an MSI K9N NEO-F mobo.
When I OC in the BIOS or from windows through Core Centre, the max I can stably OC is 9% (2.4GHz). This kinda sucks, or is it just an AMD trademark?
If not, where do I begin to get better OC results?
Thanks! :)
Last edited by TheModDoctor on 17 Apr 2008, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

http://www.rbmods.com/Articles/Msi/K9n_Neo/5.php

Dont know man, looks like this board isnt that great, how far have you pushed the FSB. more or less than the this review
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

The overclock will depend more on the mobo than the CPU. AMD K8s are good overclockers, you can expect 20%-50% with good cooling and a good motherboard. Your 3dmark score is related more to your video card than your CPU at first, only once you have a powerful video card (7950GX2 or 8800GTS 320 and better) will you need to worry about overclocking the CPU to get much better scores.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Yeah Doobs, I've got to agree that my board isn't any good, I tried to pump my FSB up a bit, and here is my results:
My stock fsb is 200mhz, and the ddr voltage is 1.80v (I put the ddr voltage to 2.00v)
I tried to put the fsb to 238mhz, as those other guys did, but my pc didn't even POST.
@ 230mhz: POST successful, but crashes in BIOS
@ 229mhz: BIOS doesn't crash, but crash during the windows XP loadscreen
@ 222mhz: Starts up into windows, but crashes after a few seconds
@ 221mhz: crash when I launched 3DMark
@ 220mhz: No problems that I came upon yet.

@Hex: Yeah i know it is the board that defines how good you can OC. I think I should have defined a bit more about my score, that was my CPU score, not my 3DMark score (Since I have a 8800GT). And I think that I got that score wrong as well, I ran it again on stock a few times, and then my CPU got 1678. When I OCed to 220mhz and 2.00V DDR I got 1823 in 3Dmark. Not really an improvement... :?
And do you think the CoolerMaster Gemini II is any good? Not that I have a problem with heat, (my cpu is @ 33*C right now), but is looks real cool and is kinda cheap...
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Might a BIOS update help to unlock some features?
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

TheModDoctor wrote:Yeah Doobs, I've got to agree that my board isn't any good, I tried to pump my FSB up a bit, and here is my results:
My stock fsb is 200mhz, and the ddr voltage is 1.80v (I put the ddr voltage to 2.00v)
I tried to put the fsb to 238mhz, as those other guys did, but my pc didn't even POST.
@ 230mhz: POST successful, but crashes in BIOS
@ 229mhz: BIOS doesn't crash, but crash during the windows XP loadscreen
@ 222mhz: Starts up into windows, but crashes after a few seconds
@ 221mhz: crash when I launched 3DMark
@ 220mhz: No problems that I came upon yet.

@Hex: Yeah i know it is the board that defines how good you can OC. I think I should have defined a bit more about my score, that was my CPU score, not my 3DMark score (Since I have a 8800GT). And I think that I got that score wrong as well, I ran it again on stock a few times, and then my CPU got 1678. When I OCed to 220mhz and 2.00V DDR I got 1823 in 3Dmark. Not really an improvement... :?
And do you think the CoolerMaster Gemini II is any good? Not that I have a problem with heat, (my cpu is @ 33*C right now), but is looks real cool and is kinda cheap...
Your going to have to increase the Vcore a wee bit...!!!

As for the geminII yeah I have one and is doing very well if the right combo of thermal paste is used.

It runs super on my quad I don't know how hot the 4800 gets but it should keep it cool enough for a fair oc...
However there are better coolers out there you could use....However if you have your heart set on the geminII beware it does not include extra fans it's just the cooler got two cooler master blue led 120mms fans for 160 extra.So it will be a cooler just under 450 bucks...The coollabatory liquid metal pad is what I'm using.Works very well with this cooler....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

About the cooler, get the Ultima90. Far better hsf ;)
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

wizardofid wrote:Your going to have to increase the Vcore a wee bit...!!!
Yeah, it seems like it. But now the problem is, my crappy BIOS doesn't have an option to play with the Vcore settings.
So about 10 minutes ago, I updated my BIOS (phew....it worked! YEAH! I'm still alive.) from v1.2 to v1.9. I thought that maybe, just maybe it might unlock the Vcore, but it still didn't. :( Damn MSI! Is there any other way to get to my Vcore? Or is it just curtains for my OCing?

And a bit off topic, I noticed I now have 1 new setting availible in my BIOS, it has something to do with my memory, and it's called CMD-ADDR Timing. It then have 2 options, 1T and 2T. What the is this for?

And ANOTHER thing I noticed, I can't nearly OC as well now that my BIOS is updated! The max I could have got was 220mhz FSB, but now my PC won't even POST @ 220, and I have problems starting up even @ 215mhz, so I had to set it to 214. :evil:
What is going on with MSI?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

TheModDoctor wrote:What is going on with MSI?
The answer lays in that sentence ;)
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

:lol: Yeah.

PLUS: My audio is also totally screwed now! Reinstalling driver doesn't help. :evil:
neosephiroth
Permanently Banned

Post by neosephiroth »

MOD DOC use a jumper to reset u bios on the mother board..its next to bios chip..and set mhz bak at default rate ...you obviously went too high. remember dont take the lazymans way out and risk ram by overclocking it just aim at cpu...i may overclock my system in the future...but considering my board can take a pheonom chip, why bother...the the fan and heatsink alone will cost as much as the cpu(in time) where as overclocking does shorten the components life span[/img]
TheModDoctor

Post by TheModDoctor »

Hey I forgot about this thread! :lol:
The audio I got fixed, and the answer was actually very logical -- download newest drivers that are compatible with the new BIOS. So my audio is fixed.
Ag, I don't even bother with trying to OC the CPU anymore, I don't think it will make all that of a difference anyway..