Watercooling Setups

Push it to the max but make sure that you keep it cool!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

OMGoodness, he isn't even online. Or naughty!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

When do you want to order WikiD?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Dunno, soon? I just need to clear up a few things i posted previously. When do you wanna order?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

OK, i need a few things cleared up!
WiKiD wrote:Another Q, i see that CPU Waterblock has 3 holes, shouldn't I be getting a Y splitter?
Is it 2 for income or 2 for outlet?
WiKiD wrote:I see the res also has 3 holes! Thus I must get another Y-splitter, right? And how does this whole setup come to gether starting from the Pump? Where does it go from the pump and so forth! Thanks!
Is this method right
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:@wki1d:

Like this: Pump -> Res -> Rad -> CPU Block -> GPU Block -> Back to pump

or

Like this: Res -> Pump -> Rad -> CPU Block -> GPU Block -> Back to pump

Make sure the rad is the LAST thing the water goes through before it gets to the blocks
WiKiD wrote:All that could be better IMO from Synapsys is the CPU block, I don't know. Because everything brought in from DD is better IMO, the Res, the tubing, the pump. I don't know how the CPU blocks compare!
Is it true?

On DAE's behalf...
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I have a question. I was just browsing the danger den store, and saw that they've got alot of different Maze 4 GPU bloks, but there were two that sood out.

1) The regular Maze 4 block, i want to buy 2 of these.

2) A low profile version of the regular one. A lower profile would be good as i'll be using them in an SLI rig, but will the lower profile hinder performance?
WiKiD wrote: Another Q...isn'y it better to split the water flow from the rad in 2 seperate pipes, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, thus sending the same temperatured water to the CPU and GPU and then Joining them after they went through??
Help??
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

The block has 3 holes, 1 for inlet, 2 for outlet. That's usually the case. I dunno about that res question.

Can you give me an idea specifically when you wanna order so that i can know how to organise my things, please? :)
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I can order now, but it will be better if i do tomorrow. If thats ok with you?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Whoa, i don't think i can order THAT soon. I still need to talk to my buddy in aus. Besides, the DD disributer in Aus only reopens on the 2nd or the 3rd.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

O, then we can wait till then! Its cool!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Here is a basic design, I just want to know if everything it connected properly!

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

The inlet on the CPU block needs to be in the center.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Oh, is the inlet in the centre, didn't know!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

So i need 4 Y splitters
naughty

Post by naughty »

okay - inlet on the cpu block would defo be in the centre - outlets would be in the sides
Another Q...isn'y it better to split the water flow from the rad in 2 seperate pipes, one for the CPU and one for the GPU, thus sending the same temperatured water to the CPU and GPU and then Joining them after they went through??
nope - that becomes very complicated - and then again the gpu would normally have been a lot hotter than the water coming from the cpu anyway - so to have the water going from the cpu to the gpu would be fine - it all quickly settles down to a situation where the water going past the cpu after a very short while would only be around a degree or so warmer than the water coming in and thoat temp is still okay to feed into the chipset and gpu blocks - in a space of one year i never ever shut down the pump - so even when the machine was shut down the water was still circulating - this keeps a smooth flow without adding air bubbles - each time you stop and start the pump - also temps stay cool permanently - so it was an advantage to have a seperate power supply for fans and cold cathodes which was permanently powered up together with the pumpso the rad fans are also still spinning all the time

its far better to just have one circuit going rather than complicating the issues even though it can be done the other way - but it wont change your results too much so the simplest way is the best

im gonna have the inlet in the centre and the outlets in the sides are going to lead to instead of a y-splitter it will feed into each of the gpu blocks since im going to run sli - and then from the two gpu blocks i will go into the y-splitter thus i will also have one circuit only

if it helps this is going to be my config

RAD --> cpu --> 2 graphics blocks --> pump/reservoir --> RAD

the reasoning bewing this the rad is where the water is cooled - from there the most critical aspect is to cool the cpu - and from there the water is still cool enough to cool the gpu's - then it goes into the res and my pump is within the res - so the heat from the pump is transferred to the water and that is cooled when it goes back into the rad

about the low profile blocks - they should be within a degree or two close to the origional blocks so even the low profile blocks would work just as well - and if you dropped around 10 degrees from aircooling - to lose two to have the low profile blocks isnt a train smash

about the stuff from dangerden - to me it would be just as good as arthurs stuff if not better but i think it is better but wether it is to a degree that its worth buying from overseas i wouldnt like to venture a guess - but beanie would know better than me about that since he has tried out those dangerden blocks and i havent - but if you are determined to have absolute best then yeah go for it

i have looked at your diagram - definitely its too complicated - from the rad - just go into the centre of the cpu and from there the two outlets must go into a y splitter and then that single one can go into the gpu block and then again only a single one all the way through - im quickly gonna have a look a t the res that you want i dont know why it has an inlet and dual outlets - so im just going to have a squizz at that but you only need one inlet and one outlet to keep it simple - in fact only one y-splitter is totally neccesary at the cpu block only due to the twin outlets there

again MrBean may have a better way of looking at it but im certain he will for the most part of it agree with what i say or will have very good reasons for the bits that he doesnt agree with with
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Wow naughty, it must've taken ages to type that, but thanks.

So i should go for the slim Maze 4 blocks? Cool. Same price, so i don't mind at all.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

OK, Here is a new pic

But there is a little mistake! I see the res's 2 pipes are for inlet and the 1 pipe for outlet, just need to swich those around!

And DAE's buddy is gonna send us the stuff so that obstacle is out of the way!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

<-----------
See previous Page
WiKiD wrote:Here is my list DAE....thanks buddy!

1 x Copper RBX for Athlon64 & Opteron 754/939/940 3/8"
1 x Acetal Version MAZE4GPU 3/8"
1 x 12V DD-D5 Pump NEW! 3/8"
1 x Danger Den Bay Reservoir High-Density Polyethylene 3/8"
6ft x Tygon 3603 Tubing 3/8" ID 5/8" OD
2 x Brass Fittings 3/8" 1/4" NPT
2 x Polypropylene "Y" 3/8"
Last edited by WiK1d on 31 Dec 2005, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

DAE's buddy MIGHT send us the stuff. I e-mailed him earlier, he hasn't replied yet, i'll speak to him later. I'm SURE it won;t be a problem.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Remember, he was probably sleeping already!

Does this place you are buying from in AUS have a website?

Is it Chilled PC? They are in Brishbane
naughty

Post by naughty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Wow naughty, it must've taken ages to type that, but thanks.

So i should go for the slim Maze 4 blocks? Cool. Same price, so i don't mind at all.
go for the slim ones only if you need the space - if you have the space the full size ones will be better - but if you are struggling for space thats what the slim ones are there for - you will experience a very small performance hit so if you have the space then avoid that by just getting the full sized - so it depends on the number of pci card you want to add

will check up on the res later wikid - and will reply tomorrow - just a bit busy doing a windows install for a client so im skipping between two pc's now
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Nah, it's cool! I'm off to bed now, for real this time!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

We are getting our stuff from a place in Australia now, but everything is in 1/2"

RBX Lucite Top with 3 1/2" Chrome Fittings
Danger Den DD 12VCD - D5 1/2" OD Water Pump
Danger Den Actel Maze4 Series GPU Cooler with 1/2" Fittings
1/2" Polly Y
1/2" Polly Y

So I must get tygon in 1/2" and the bay Res in 1/2".....corretc?
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Yes. 1/2" all through.

Naughty's advice is excellent, no prob there.

If I were you, I'd just blank the 2nd inlet on the reservoir with a 1/4" plug. Easiest, and would clean up your waterloop.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Where can I find a Plug??

I wanna order the Tubing and Bay Res from DD, but the shipping is more than the tubing and res together! I really like that Tygon, but will ClearFlex be just as good?

How bout that res used in the ORAC mod?

Can you look at this website http://www.chilledpc.com.au/contact.html and give me some recommendations!
MrBean

Post by MrBean »

Tygon is the best. You can use clearflex, but it will go opaque eventually. It is not as flexible as Tygon either, which is my main problem with normal tubing.

But, it can be used. And you can get a reservoir from Arthur. Asetek ones are fine, they will accept standard fittings as well, just unscrew the quick couplers.

Plugs can be purcahsed from local Festo, or any Industrial Instrument Supplier. I think you may even find them at Mica, for example.

Let me check the link...
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Yeah, i'm also very interested in the Reservoirs that G-Gnome used in ORAC. Any idea where we can get them?