4mb line behaving like dial up. Need help logging speeds.

Network problem solving and tweaks
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

4mb line behaving like dial up. Need help logging speeds.

Post by Anakha56 »

Morning All,

Right so long story short I "upgraded" my 384k Uncapped, Unshaped line to a 4mb Uncapped line. Problem is I am not getting close to reaching those lovely speeds of 400kb/s, it varies wildly and with no pattern. So off I phoned Mweb to complain and they started investigating. After getting Telkom involved they said the route my line takes to the Exchange had two damaged boxes which was causing line degradation, they say they have since fixed this. Well to date I am still struggling to get into the hundreds with download speed sometimes it is quick most of the time it crawls. So I re-opened the ticket and Mweb & I started investigating. From Mwebs side they say there is no shaping or speed limiting on their system for my line. So our next test was to change my router account details to a SAIX account and do speed tests using SAIX speed points. First test (Durban side) I was getting +- 300k on download & 0.45k on upload, so far so good. Next test was to Cape Town and I was getting +- 200k on download & 0.45k on upload, not good but acceptable. Third test was to Rosebank and I was getting +- 400k on download & 0.45k on upload. On a whim I retested Durban and I got 0.30k on download & 0.45 on upload. Any tests after to any other server started slowing down as well.

Armed with this information Mweb went back to Telkom who once again assured us that there is nothing wrong with the Exchange and everything is healthy. However no matter where I try to download from or at what time I am unable to get my line speeds. I have tried downloading a Steam game from Mwebs JHB servers and it crawled, right now Origin is crawling at 12.8 kb/s in trying to download updates for ME3. So far this is what I have tried to get normal service:

1: Uninstalled & reinstalled network drivers, long shot but worth the attempt. Fixed nothing.
2: Disabled any & all power saving features on the network card.
3: Tried using another PC, same result.
4: Leaving my router unplugged for a couple of hours to get a new IP, same result.
5: Disabled wireless on my router just in case something is causing the network to slow down. Same slow speeds.

My only option left is to try and log my speeds for every hour to prove to Telkom (maybe Mweb) that something is not right. Does anyone have any solutions to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/side note I suspect that my Exchange has been flooded with 8ta signals and Telkom is actively shaping my line. They have done it at my work and gave us a long run around before admitting that. Any way I could prove this?
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: 4mb line behaving like dial up. Need help logging speeds

Post by Ron2K »

The ones that I know of are Cacti and PRTG.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Thanks Ron looking at both now. Case in point re download speeds:

Now Orbit is meant to use my full line speed but right now it is going no where :(.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

TL;DR

NetLimiter
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Other than download speed, what other statistics do the above programs log?

My internet connection is dropping frequently AGAIN, so I'd like to gather as much information as possible before sending it to my ISP.

Thanks

//I found RouterStats Lite pretty useful. :-)
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot