Business network vs Home network on Windows 7

Network problem solving and tweaks
Samaya

Business network vs Home network on Windows 7

Post by Samaya »

I need help changing my one annoying PC running Win7 from a business network to a Home network in a more permanent way. I change the setting from business to home in the computer->properties->computer name... and then click change settings. Is there another way of making it more permanent?

Reason I need this change is so the older Win XP machines can access the files on this machine. If its a business network Xp cannot access it. I change it to home network it works fine. I also don't know why its a business network when the PC is at home and actually set it up as home networking.

It is Win 7 ultimate. I cannot get the Media PC to link to the files on this PC for all the movies and such stored in there.

Help please :scratch:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Business network vs Home network on Windows 7

Post by Anakha56 »

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... k-location
To change a network location type

If your computer is part of a domain, you won't be able to change the network location type because it is controlled by your network administrator.

Log on to the network.

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.

Click Customize, and then click either Public (for "Public place" networks) or Private (for "Home" or "Work" networks). If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click Next, and then click Close.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... ows-7.html
How to Change a Network Type in Windows 7
By Woody Leonhard

When you connect to a network, the main question that Windows asks is whether you’re connecting to a home, work, or public network? Windows uses the information to determine how secure your system needs to be. However, Windows 7 gives you the opportunity to go back and change a network type to suit your needs.

Before you can determine the best way to classify your network, you need to understand what Microsoft sees as the difference between home, work, and public:

Public: Windows 7 puts up your PC’s shields. Windows Firewall plugs almost all its openings and protects its internal programs for being connected to potentially hostile network.

Work: Windows 7 opens the Windows Firewall so that you can communicate with other computers on your network and share folders, say, or use printers on the network. Windows also starts services that make your computer visible on the network.

Home: Windows 7 goes out and looks for other Windows 7 computers on the network. If it finds other Win7 computers that have a HomeGroup going, it invites you to join that HomeGroup. If it doesn’t find one, Windows 7 asks whether you want to start one.

The most common reason many people have to change a network type is because they want to create or join a HomeGroup. If you want to use a HomeGroup, every computer needs to be on a home network. You can use the same process for changing any network type.

Choose Start→Control Panel and, under the Network and Internet heading, click the View Network Status and Tasks link.

Windows shows you the Network and Sharing Center.

In the box marked View Your Active Networks, click the link that mentions the network type you now have.

In this case, we’ll click the Public Network link to change a public network to a home network, so we click the Public Network link. Windows shows you the Set Network Location dialog box.

Choose the type of network you want to use. In this case, click Home so we can create a HomeGroup.
Follow the second link for pretty pictures :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Samaya

Re: Business network vs Home network on Windows 7

Post by Samaya »

Thanks I'll try this tonight.