WiFi 802.22 - 12,000 square mile range!

Network problem solving and tweaks
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

WiFi 802.22 - 12,000 square mile range!

Post by Ron2K »

TekGoblin wrote:IEEE has just announced a new Wireless standard 802.22 that can cover up to 12,000 square miles. The standard is actually for Wireless Regional Area Networks or WRAN which uses the white spaces left in the TV frequency spectrum.

This new wireless standard is expected to bring internet connectivity to large areas which are less densely populated that did not have coverage previously. The WRAN will be able to deliver up to 22 Mbps without interfering with existing TV broadcast stations.

The network will function with a series of base stations like current wireless networks, the customer will only need a small box installed in their house for internet access. It’s now only a matter of time that you will be able to pick up the same wireless network at work and at home. Check out the press release below for full details.
Full article

OK, we're not going to be replacing our home networks with this, but this tech could be very useful for the folks staying out in the sticks.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Sojourn

Re: WiFi 802.22 - 12,000 square mile range!

Post by Sojourn »

Yea useful, because ultimately those AP's will have to connected via some kind of cable and we all know what happens with cable when the "folks staying out in the sticks" are involved.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Not really. The way I understand it (could be wrong), it would work similarly to mobile phone reception - just dot a few towers over the place, and it should work. Since the tech reuses unused TV broadcast spectrum, it sounds feasible to integrate the APs into the existing television broadcast infrastructure.

My understanding may be wrong, but that's how I see it.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

You could potentially create a network of Wifi zones, covering the whole country, that could eliminate the need for any ground cables (bar power cables). Not so? 22Mbps is fast enough to transmit a whole bunch of services at once.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W