Vodacom 3G National Routing Problem?

Network problem solving and tweaks
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Hi

Been having problems with clients and their 3G since last week. They connect but service is extremely slow.

I phoned Vodacom Data Centre, they claim no problems. Even in the past week or so.

@lantic (One of the clients ISP's), say Vodacom had a national outage on the 22nd of the month. However that was apparently resolved.

One of the Telkom Exchanger's somewhere here went down from 1:00PM to early evening last week aswell. I can confirm this as my line was down, as well as all the clients that called.

Webafrica confirmed this aswell as traffic was zero or so in the area. They have no report on the 3G issue unfortunately.

Hetzer also confirmed latency issues between Vodacom, MTN and SAIX, however they report this has been resolved.

Other I.T firms in my area also confirmed their clients also calling in with similar issues lately.

Vodacom again deny any issues on their network.

Basicly I'm just looking for an answer to tell my clients. Anybody on Vodacom 3G having issues? Any luck on an answer?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Vodacom 3G National Routing Problem?

Post by Tribble »

Not sure if this helps (as it is probably unrelated) but I had 3G issues on Cell C last week in PE
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Koko I have been experiencing very bad signal performance from Vodacom for the last couple of weeks. No idea what the cause is and I really hope Vodacom sorts it out...

/Maybe we should contact Cell C and tell them to take Vodacom to the ASA about their spotty network coverage when they supposedly have the best network in South Africa...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Ah there is the link - thanks Anky. Forgot it rented coverage
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Tribble wrote:Not sure if this helps (as it is probably unrelated) but I had 3G issues on Cell C last week in PE
Doe Cell C piggy back on Vodacom? Or just certain towers? Not sure how it works exactly.

But how is the speed now?
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Anakha56 wrote:Koko I have been experiencing very bad signal performance from Vodacom for the last couple of weeks. No idea what the cause is and I really hope Vodacom sorts it out...
Interesting. Is the speed bad for what the signal is?

My clients connection reads signal strength between 80% to 95% or 4/5 bars. Yet it takes 25min to download a 2.00MB email for example.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Sometimes the browsing on my phone would stall but the majority of the time there is just no signal. Cant phone or do anything.

CellC used to piggy back off of Vodacom and from what I know they have now stopped and are using their own towers.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I've been having spotty signal for the last week or so, but then I've been on a farm on the outskirts of White River so that probably doesn't help. The friend with whom I am staying has welcomed me to use his ADSL because he "has a 5gb cap and never uses it." I've found his ADSL only slightly slower than a dialup connection on a 33k modem.

Speed wise, when my 3G works it's fast enough, but it does seem to have these frequent lapses in concentration where things time out for five minutes or so at a time.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Heard on 5FM today. Vodacom are having problems. Last I heard they haven't found the problem, but admit there is a problem.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Yep without WIFI my phone is a paper weight. Bloody useless Vodacom. I really hope CellC are watching...
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Yea, for sure! And I got about 50 screaming grannies a day who can't send emails

Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

From news24
Johannesburg - Mobile operator Vodacom Group [JSE:VOD] on Thursday denied that its network outage was related to the Regulation of Interception of Communication Act (Rica) deadline.

"The engineers are still working on the network outage - apologies to everyone affected. Just to confirm, this is not related to Rica," the group said on its Twitter account.

Vodacom earlier apologised via Twitter that "certain customers" were having difficulties calling or sending text messages on its network.

The group tweeted: "We're aware that certain customers are experiencing an inability to call or SMS. Sincere apologies, we're working on a fix."

In a the group added: "We are currently experiencing network issues in some areas. Our engineering team is working hard to resolve the problem."

On Wednesday, the group also confirmed that it was having trouble with its network.

"We can confirm that a small percentage of our customers have experienced a delay in using our USSD recharge system. The airtime has been credited but in some cases it is not yet reflecting on the individual's balance. We would like to apologise to any affected customers and assure them that their recharge will be visible on their account shortly," Richard Boorman, Vodacom's Executive Head of Media Relations told I-Net Bridge.

Sim cards not registered ahead of the deadline on Thursday midnight would be cut off, the operators stressed. Operators confirmed that they were expecting a last-minute rush to register as 2.7 million sim cards still need to be registered.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

MTN baby!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

KALSTER wrote:MTN baby!
3 guys in my office were also offline today on MTN. Reports of Cell C also. Vodacom was the worst affected but all 3 were in some way. Who knows WTF happened but it was something big. I work on site at Vodacom so will find out tomorrow.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

No 8ta problems today? Rusty? Because 8ta is like the only mobile operator that had 100% of their clients Rica'd. Just saying. :)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Anyone else having a problem with Vodacom and getting a data connection? I have not been able to get a data connection for some time already...
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

when did this problem start?
had a connection this morning...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Not sure, phoned them and was told to switch the phone off and then to switch it on again. This has resolved the issue... :? Will advise the people in my office to do the same since they were also complaining...