Best ADSL ISP in South Africa

Network problem solving and tweaks
jee

Re: Best ADSL ISP in South Africa

Post by jee »

actually I have found out that there is no such thing as unshaped :( no matter what they say, its done somewhere in teh bowels of the ether and then they think we will not notice...
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Well, so far I've only experienced shaping on torrents during daytime, but I rarely use torrents so I don't really care. HTTP downloads are flying doesn't matter the time of day, as does YouTube and general browsing. My speedtest results aren't full 1M, but it's around 0.87 down and 0.35 up, any time of the day.

(Edit: Swapped up and down)
Last edited by WiK1d on 18 Jun 2011, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

And that's the frustrating thing: It's so inconsistent. My speed tests ar perfect, but I have to pause Youtube videos and wait for them to finish loading before I start playing. General browsing is okay. P2P is absolutely dead no matter what time of the day it is.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

I still don't understand how MWeb's throttling policy actually works. I was not once (apart from P2P) throttled on my 384K line and so far I've got no issues on my 1M line. I wonder if high-usage areas have different policies, I know the okes in Jo'burg are really unhappy at the moment. Also Cape Town seems to get more benefits?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

jee wrote:Ja, but there is a difference between a small fortune and a large fortune... 3 mil for the year is too high... it must come down
3 Million? :shock:

Take a look at MWEBs business packages. You have to take out a contract and pay installation fees, but you get 24 hour support, a Cisco router etc. LINK(pdf). Their 1Mbps uncapped, unshaped account plus line rental is R1299 pm. Way short of R3m.

Or am I missing something?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Best ADSL ISP in South Africa

Post by Stuart »

WiK1d wrote:I still don't understand how MWeb's throttling policy actually works. I was not once (apart from P2P) throttled on my 384K line and so far I've got no issues on my 1M line. I wonder if high-usage areas have different policies, I know the okes in Jo'burg are really unhappy at the moment. Also Cape Town seems to get more benefits?
I know what you mean. At one point I thought it was purely case by case, but then I know Mweb users with far higher usage than me who are not shaped nearly as aggressively. I've been switching to Afrihost prepaid far too often in the last six weeks than I would like, so for me it's time to jump ship.
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

since reading this thread i did some research, and i found alot of threads with people complaining about mweb uncapped accounts.... and most of them said thier torrents,P2P and news groups were shaped badly.... then also saw that alot of people look for saix based accounts for thier news group downloads.... now iv heard of this type of downloading before but what exactly is ment by news groups and saix? and why download from newsgroups? whats the benefit?
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
jee

Post by jee »

KALSTER wrote:
jee wrote:Ja, but there is a difference between a small fortune and a large fortune... 3 mil for the year is too high... it must come down
3 Million? :shock:

Take a look at MWEBs business packages. You have to take out a contract and pay installation fees, but you get 24 hour support, a Cisco router etc. LINK(pdf). Their 1Mbps uncapped, unshaped account plus line rental is R1299 pm. Way short of R3m.

Or am I missing something?
Have 52 sites atm (a few are still satellite) and adding 10 more for the one project - and eventually will have 177 sites for the other. Thats why the gaming project will be NO steam. Can't afford more connectivity :(
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Can't each site carry their own weight in terms of internet connectivity?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W