Options for online gaming without an ADSL hardline?

Network problem solving and tweaks
Proud African

Options for online gaming without an ADSL hardline?

Post by Proud African »

Hi Forumites.....

I'm looking for recommendations for a connection to use for gaming that doesn't require an ADSL line. ADSL would be ideal but the house I'm renting doesn't have a phoneline and I may find myself compelled to move on short notice; making the installation fees and line rentals rather discouraging.

Currently, I have a Cell-C USB stick that is occasionally great but mostly unusable for gaming; what with the high latency, constant lagspikes and disconnects.

Anyway, a stable connection that is usable even during peak hours are my priorities.

A little Googling points to Telkom Wimax as my best bet but I read that they aren't doing new installations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Guys
I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led, and bearding every authority which stood in their way.
Thomas Jefferson

"I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs."
— Sam Harris (Letter to a Christian Nation)
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Options for online gaming without an ADSL hardline?

Post by Ron2K »

Unfortunately, the next best option are the Cell C sticks, and I'm sure you've already noticed that mileage on those things varies greatly.

I notice that you're new here; welcome to the madhouse. :P If you want to find out just how mad this house is, pop over here.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Depending on your area, iBurst is also not a too-bad option.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Yeah perhaps find a wireless ISP. Look around in your area. Maybe there is someone small (not like iBurst or Telkom or big boys) doing wireless ISP.

I have a 1024kb/s line and I game on it. Latency is worse then a fixed line, but I play without any probs. And that is on servers in Germany, Netherlands and the UK. Europe basically. :lol:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Yeah, Google for a local WLAN ISP and for opinions on it. Don't get Screepers though from what I have heard.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Have you tried different servers? BF2 has a locals only server, IS has a nice back bone.

My ping on SAIX servers is 10ms but it's my step dads place so I won't have that for much longer.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Proud African

Post by Proud African »

Thanks for all the input guys, looks like I'm going to have to go the ADSL route.

After looking around a bit, the benefits of ADSL outweigh the disadvantages for me.
I was bold in the pursuit of knowledge, never fearing to follow truth and reason to whatever results they led, and bearding every authority which stood in their way.
Thomas Jefferson

"I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs."
— Sam Harris (Letter to a Christian Nation)