WebAfrica Home Connect

Network problem solving and tweaks
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

WebAfrica Home Connect

Post by Stuart »

So the anticipation has been mounting for a little while now. Today WebAfrica released a new product which was "guaranteed to impress 99%" of its Facebook likers. That product is here.

So let me get this straight. (I'm going to ignore MyBB here because that place just gives me a headache.) Let's take the 25GB option as an example.

You get 5GB peak data, and 20GB off peak data for R239 p/m. So that means if you exceed 5GB during "peak" time you're capped for peak hours?

Further, you get download plus data at R8 per GB. So if I wanted, say, 50GB for the month, I could get the 25GB option (R239) plus another 25GB at download plus rates (R8 x 25 = R200). So for a total of R439 I'd get 50GB, but only 5GB of those usable during peak hours.

Yes?

Given that Afrihost, on the other hand, offers a straight 50GB (unshaped, peak and off peak usage allowed) at R475 p/m, I paint myself mildly intrigued rather than über-impressed. Unless I am missing something big here.
WAJeff

Re: WebAfrica Home Connect

Post by WAJeff »

Hey Stu,

You've got it spot on. If you do end up capping your peak bandwidth you can top-up though, and carry on using your data anytime.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

WAJeff - you sound proud of this admission.

I would suggest in future you guys investigate your opposition's offerings to make a market related consumer offering that will make us "sit up and notice".

This offering is... well, meh. If informed people take you up on this offer, I'd be surprised and would like to see what they deem the value to them. You will probably snare a few of the masses with no IT sense or understanding.

You guys have amazing offerings, and your broadband prices are quite competitive - and for the most part I have only had good service or read about good service from you...

However, this offer is totally uninspired.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You know, I really see the benefit of this for those who potentially cap their accounts consistently with big downloads. The Download Plus part of this deal is pretty sweet. But it really only makes sense up to the 25GB account, and then I'd be seriously worried about 5GB peak data.

I get that it's geared to the home user who really isn't there to use off peak data. In my instance, however, my wife is at home during the day, so she'll browse and email and Youtube, etc. I can see 5GB being chewed quite easily.

But you think about this compared to the Afrihost offering. If you cap your Afrihost offering you're looking at more than R8 per GB to top up.

I'm currently on Mweb uncapped and my usage often exceeds 50GB per month.

Thing is, with the shaping I get from the Mweb account it's often virtually unusable. The Webafrica Titan offering at the office is far better in terms of performance. I'd just have to watch my usage if I switch back to capped. But I suspect I'd be far happier with the speed performance.

Again, this is not exactly a mind-blowing offering, but it does at least offer something to think about.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Stuart, what on on earth do you do that needs 167GB of bandwidth? :shock:
Hell, I'm permanently online (well in the evenings at least), and also do the youtube/video streaming thing and I've not hit 30GB :?
So even if I double my usage...

I'm actually considering going to a 50GB capped unshaped package.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Lol, to be honest I can't tell you what I download each month. As you can see, my usage varies quite a bit from month to month. I just use whatever I need and don't worry about what it looks like at the end. I have no idea what I downloaded in September last year that used that much. :lol:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I can think of one thing, which I won't mention here :P

"Oh look, I downloaded the internet!"
-- Out of disk space"
"Meh..."
-- format c /s/q"
:lol:

As an aside, how would one go about finding out what exactly "50% usage of the average user's usage" is, aside from mailing Afrihost, somehow I don't think they'll give me any hard or fast answers :?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:As an aside, how would one go about finding out what exactly "50% usage of the average user's usage" is, aside from mailing Afrihost, somehow I don't think they'll give me any hard or fast answers :?
Where did you read about that?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

It's in their fair use policy, hang on, lemme get a quote

Edit:
Afrihost wrote:Fair Use Policy

This service is offered up to 4096 Kbps and is supplied by Internet Solutions.

The service allows two simultaneous connections. If used concurrently, the Peak Information Rate (PIR) will be halved between the two connections.

The usage is monitored on a rolling 10 day period and does not reset at the beginning of each month. The service is Unshaped.

Should usage remain less than 50% of the average user for this product, the service will remain unaffected. However should individual usage exceed 50% of the average user, then the first level of moderation will be implemented, moving the service to a Shaped service.

Shaping or moderation is implemented via download throttling and user relative priority control will first be applied to all file sharing protocols. Should usage remain above the 50% average threshold, additional shaping will be managed via manipulation of throttling and priority control.

The 4096 Lite is designed for light users who still require high speed access to the internet.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Interesting.
Fair use is such an open term.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Hardly fair, if I'm only allowed 50% of the average before being throttled :?
Which is why I'm considering 50GB capped unshaped (R100 more than what I'm currently paying). Any comments/suggestions?
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Lol, what an advertisement.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:It's in their fair use policy, hang on, lemme get a quote

Edit:
Afrihost wrote:Fair Use Policy

This service is offered up to 4096 Kbps and is supplied by Internet Solutions.

The service allows two simultaneous connections. If used concurrently, the Peak Information Rate (PIR) will be halved between the two connections.

The usage is monitored on a rolling 10 day period and does not reset at the beginning of each month. The service is Unshaped.

Should usage remain less than 50% of the average user for this product, the service will remain unaffected. However should individual usage exceed 50% of the average user, then the first level of moderation will be implemented, moving the service to a Shaped service.

Shaping or moderation is implemented via download throttling and user relative priority control will first be applied to all file sharing protocols. Should usage remain above the 50% average threshold, additional shaping will be managed via manipulation of throttling and priority control.

The 4096 Lite is designed for light users who still require high speed access to the internet.
Wait, this is on an uncapped account, right? That would make sense, because Afrihost became quickly unpopular when they first launched their uncapped service. This is actually quite specific compared to what their vague policy had back then.

But you're right: I doubt that Afrihost would give you a straight answer unless you actually personally know someone who works there that you can ask. Unfortunately, I think that Afrihost employees are the only people who would have any idea as to how to answer that question.

To be honest, however, if you struggle to hit 30GB a month right now, you're not really going to threaten that 50% benchmark. Perhaps if you start hitting 20-30GB every ten days . . .
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Still, uncapped is widely proven to be less stable than capped, so if you can get by with a capped account (i.e. you're not capping yourself every month) then I seriously suggest staying with capped.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I'll take it under strong consideration, thanks :)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

OMW.... Stu.. can i get your internet connection for like a day please????

na just kidding, i got mweb's low connection and i get between 30 and 60GBs a month (on 384k line)

i assume that stu is on the 4Mb or 10Mb line?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Actually you want my connection:
Temporary Absence
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

:shock:

what do you guys download.....
if i get 50Gbs in a year, that is a lot....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

WebAfrica Home Connect

Post by Stuart »

DeathStrike wrote: i assume that stu is on the 4Mb or 10Mb line?
Ja, 4mbps for me at home. At the office too. But, again, Mwebs shaping can be real prohitive at times.