Getting a CellC HSPA USB Modem on a Network

Network problem solving and tweaks
J4p13

Getting a CellC HSPA USB Modem on a Network

Post by J4p13 »

Hi guys. I just got the CellC HSPA modem deal, R3000 once off for 5gb p.monthx 12 months.

The only condition was that I share it with my little sister.

This is where my problem comes in. How do I get the Internet connection on the network?
I have searched the forum, but didn't find any results.

Both PC's are running windows 7, and are connected by a Telkom Mega 105WR router (without internet access.)

If you need more info please ask.

Thanx in advance!
Spoiler (show)
CoreI7-860
Biostar T55HD
4Gb DDR3 1066mhz
HIS 5770HD IceQ Turbo
1Tb Western Digital Caviar Green
550W Amacrox PSU
Acer 24" G245H
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Getting a CellC HSPA USB Modem on a Network

Post by Ron2K »

Hi there, welcome to the forum! ;)

You're probably going to want Internet Connection Sharing. Here's a guide on setting it up (it's written for Windows Vista, don't know how different it will be in Windows 7). Alternatively, you do get routers that support 3G, but those were pretty pricey last time I checked...
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

J4p13 wrote:Hi guys. I just got the CellC HSPA modem deal, R3000 once off for 5gb p.monthx 12 months.

The only condition was that I share it with my little sister.

This is where my problem comes in. How do I get the Internet connection on the network?
I have searched the forum, but didn't find any results.

Both PC's are running windows 7, and are connected by a Telkom Mega 105WR router (without internet access.)

If you need more info please ask.

Thanx in advance!
Just right click on the adapter in network settings -> properties -> share this connection.

I've been having trouble sharing it through a router though. If I connect directly between my netbook and PC it works fine.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
J4p13

Post by J4p13 »

Thanks for the help guys. Fists have been flying, seeing as she hasnt been getting alot of net time. Have tried sharing through the router, but no luck. :( A friend is bringing over a 30m crossover cable the weekend, so I'll try that. Thanks for all the help. Will post as soon as I have results.
Spoiler (show)
CoreI7-860
Biostar T55HD
4Gb DDR3 1066mhz
HIS 5770HD IceQ Turbo
550W Amacrox PSU
Acer 24" G245H
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
J4p13

Post by J4p13 »

I finally managed to get the thing shared. A guy at a lan told me that it should work with a crossover cable, and a little figgeting with the IP addresses. The same way he connects his laptop to his XBox for internet. So I got the Cell C DNS settings, set the IP's and default gateway, and Ta DA! It works.
Spoiler (show)
CoreI7-860
Biostar T55HD
4Gb DDR3 1066mhz
HIS 5770HD IceQ Turbo
550W Amacrox PSU
Acer 24" G245H