Advice on setting up a website

Network problem solving and tweaks
Prime

Advice on setting up a website

Post by Prime »

So I want to set up a site for my photography and some of my other projects. The photography side needs to link into my Wordpress and Flickr.

How do I go about hosting and linking into a domain. Dae has recommended go daddy for domain names. And how much can I expect to pay per year or month?

This is something I have never done before, so pleaded be patient with me. :oops:

Thanks in advance.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Advice on setting up a website

Post by Nuke »

Its around R150 a year for co.za domains and you can get small hosting solutions for around R50 a month.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Nuke wrote:Its around R150 a year for co.za domains and you can get small hosting solutions for around R50 a month.
So that works out to R1000 a year with Flickr and and everything else :shock: S'pose i can set aside 84 a month.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Alrighty, it's pretty simple. You can go the EASY route, or you can go the cheaper, but slightly less easy route.

The simple way:

You choose a hosting company like EliteHost. With them, you buy hosting space, AND the domain. They set it all up for you, and all you actually have to do to get it up and running is give them your credit card details :P

The less easy, but more cost effective way:

You buy the domain through a site like GoDaddy, but get the hosting from a site like EliteHost. The advantage of this is that you save yourself some cash. A .com domain with Godaddy is $10.69, which, at the current exchange rate of 7.38, is R78. That exact same domain will cost you R125 if you buy it using the easy route. The "difficult" side to this method is having to assign the name servers yourself, which takes a whole 5 seconds :P

I, personally, take the second route. I own three domains, and I'm a student, so any money I can save is money in my pocket, know what I mean? :P

I'd go for Elitehost too, if I were you. They've been sponsoring my for a few years now, and I've never had a single day's trouble until just yesterday, and as it turns out, yesterday's issues were related to Google Apps, not my host, so Elitehost get's two thumbs up from me :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:They've been sponsoring my for a few years now,
Been sponsoring your WHAT? :shock:

Or give weasel a go - he has free websites available. Design included.

Yawn.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

doo_much wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:They've been sponsoring my for a few years now,
Been sponsoring your WHAT? :shock:
Whoops! :P

me*
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

*necro*

I'm looking into this again - for myself and for our varsity project..

I'm a little confused by the Afrihost packages:
http://www.afrihost.com/

What's the difference - besides price :P - between the Linux and Windows Hosting?
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

You wouldn't be looking for hosting overseas would you? My buddy in Sweden hosts my forum/blog. He provides VPSs but he should be able to offer you a cheaper solution with an ftp account, database, etc. He's also set up an interface where you can add your own MX records, for example.

Buy your domains from an overseas company, I'll give you the addy where I buy mine. The control panel is simply so much more powerful than, say, webafrica.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker