Under Da Sea: SEACOM, EASSy and other submarines

Network problem solving and tweaks
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: SEACOM Construction Finished!

Post by Ron2K »

KALSTER wrote:The question is: How and WHY did it fail?
Someone obviously let freelurker go near the cable. 'Nuff said. :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
BeoTeK

Post by BeoTeK »

LOL People go so awol when stuff like this happens. Chill out people, not like it goes down every day and i'm sure they are trying everything in the power to get it fixed asap. Accept it, nothing you can do about it.

It's like "OMFG NO! my torrents won't download!" - End of the world!
Take this time to browse the net and learn something new. Spend some quality time with the wife and kids. :)

*i'll probably get flamed for this, yes?!*
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

My MWEB uncapped account is dead, so is my WA local only IS account. I am posting on my cell. That is not proper browsing.

Edit: Fixed. Still had it on Google's DNS servers.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Axxess 626 is local only
Mweb ...I cant even play CoD4 local because my key cant authenticate
Axxess Unshaped SAIX... Sigh I need to sell another kidney for access to the internet.
Telkom, unplayable internasional lag.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

BeoTeK wrote:Take this time to browse the net and learn something new. Spend some quality time with the wife and kids. :)
Illogical troll is illogical. How does one browse the web when the web is down? Also, we rely heavily on the internet at work, so its not just a matter of torrents not downloading, its a matter of reduced productivity.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

BeoTeK wrote:LOL People go so awol when stuff like this happens. Chill out people, not like it goes down every day and i'm sure they are trying everything in the power to get it fixed asap. Accept it, nothing you can do about it.

It's like "OMFG NO! my torrents won't download!" - End of the world!
Take this time to browse the net and learn something new. Spend some quality time with the wife and kids. :)

*i'll probably get flamed for this, yes?!*
Unfortunately, many people can't even browse. It may not be a daily occurrence, but it's almost monthly for the last seven or eight. The thing is, Seacom was supposed to be bandwidth messiah. It promised so much that it seems several ISPs invested in it without backup plans. All these interruptions are serious letdowns after what it promised.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

SAT3 isnt down half as much as Seacom. Now here we have a hourglass problem: On the one side we have decent, maybe even good pricing with a bad line vs a horrible pricing with a seemingly good line. My guess is after this that most companies will stay with telkom and we will never see proper gaming connections or proper pricing for that matter.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Or everyone will just jump on the next undersea bandwagon that comes along.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

OH YEAAAAHHHH!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Great! Hopefully this will allow for less severe throttling and shaping rules, as well as cheaper pricing and faster speed tiers.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Under Da Sea: SEACOM, EASSy and other submarines

Post by Stuart »

Changed the title to accommodate a broader spectrum of discussion.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

KALSTER wrote:Great! Hopefully this will allow for less severe throttling and shaping rules, as well as cheaper pricing and faster speed tiers.
I personally don't believe that we'll see the same bandwidth revolution with EASSy as we did with SEACOM. If anything, what I'm expecting is for the SEACOM ISPs to use EASSy as a redundant link, particularly given the teething problems that SEACOM has been experiencing. First prize would for the powers that own the cables to set up their own redundancy agreement (something like "hey, we'll let you route over our cable when you go down if you'll do the same for us") which would make any such failover completely transparent to the ISP. (SAT-3 already uses the ancient and venerable SAFE cable in a similar fashion, which is why one seldom hears about the likes of TelkomInternet, Web Africa etc. experiencing loss of international connectivity.)

I may be proved wrong in a few months though. ;)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ron2K wrote:which is why one seldom hears about the likes of TelkomInternet, Web Africa etc. experiencing loss of international connectivity.
Evil advertiser!

Is it sustainable?

:P
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Oh shuddup. :P

But I still think I may be right. Simply put, there's a lot more redundancy on the west coast than there is on the east cost right now... ;)
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Ron2K wrote:Oh shuddup. :P

But I still think I may be right. Simply put, there's a lot more redundancy on the west coast than there is on the east cost right now... ;)
Oi! Just because you ran away to the west coast, that doesn't make it better :P
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Stuart wrote:
Ron2K wrote:which is why one seldom hears about the likes of TelkomInternet, Web Africa etc. experiencing loss of international connectivity.
Evil advertiser!

Is it sustainable?

does ron work for Web Africa or have an agreement with them?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

DeathStrike wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Evil advertiser!

Is it sustainable?

does ron work for Web Africa or have an agreement with them?
Ron works for webafrica
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

So Ron, when are we going to see an uncapped offering from you guys? I will move back to WebAfrica as soon as they have one that is competitive and acceptably throttled and shaped.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:So Ron, when are we going to see an uncapped offering from you guys? I will move back to WebAfrica as soon as they have one that is competitive and acceptably throttled and shaped.
The affordable uncapped offerings are pretty much all using SEACOM bandwidth right now, which is precisely what WA refuses to do because of all the issues we're having with SEACOM.

Now if WA would release some more Titan data only offerings . . .
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

KALSTER wrote:So Ron, when are we going to see an uncapped offering from you guys? I will move back to WebAfrica as soon as they have one that is competitive and acceptably throttled and shaped.
Heh, not my department, so I wouldn't know (and wouldn't tell you anyway if I did). :P
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

This just in:
MyBroadband wrote:The Main One submarine cable went live recently, and plans to extend the cable to South Africa are under way

Main One recently announced that it's 1.920 Tbps, 7000 kilometres long, submarine fibre optic cable system linking West Africa to Europe has been completed and commissioned.

With landing stations in Nigeria and Ghana and branching units in Morocco, Canary Islands, Senegal and Ivory Coast, the cable will deliver a broadband capacity to West Africa of more than ten times what is currently available.

Plans are already under way to extend the Main One cable system to South Africa. Bernard Logan, Business Development Executive of the Main One Cable Company, said that they are in advanced discussions with SEACOM and other companies to extend the cable to SA.

Logan pointed out that the initial Main One plan was to build a cable which will link South Africa and other West Coast countries to Portugal, but that financial constraints and regulatory issues in SA meant that the cable is being built in two phases: Taking the cable to Nigeria and then bringing it to South Africa and other countries along the way.

With the first phase of Main One complete and many operators currently lighting circuits on the system Logan said that it is far easier to secure finance and hence extend the cable system to South Africa.

One of the biggest challenges facing Main One is the actual West Coast landing point in South Africa. The now outdated SAT-2 landing station in Melkbosstrand will fall away which means that adequate space is available for the modern Main One cable system to place their equipment down.

But the sticking point is that Telkom must agree to this - and hence welcoming a competitor into its landing station - which could be challenging.

Logan however said that they will bypass this problem by extending the cable to the SEACOM landing station in Mtunzini if they need to. The best and cheapest solution will however be to land close to Cape Town and use Dark Fibre Africa or Neotel for their terrestrial backhaul needs within South Africa.

The Main One system is an open access system similar to SEACOM where capacity is sold to any interested party at set bandwidth rates. It is therefore not particularly surprising that Main One is partnering with SEACOM to bring a comprehensive international connectivity solution to South African companies.

"We work together with SEACOM as brothers," said Logan. "We have the same philosophy and with our partner E5 we can definitely make this project happen."

Questions have been raised about the viability of a local Main One presence when the 5.12 Tbps WACS cable is set to land in the country by the end of 2011, but Logan said that he is confident that they have a sound business model.

The WACS cable is run by a consortium - similar to SAT-3/SAFE - raising questions as to whether the shareholders will be keen to sell bandwidth at affordable rates to their competitors. Logan said that Main One will not only provide affordable and abundant bandwidth, but since it is an open access system anyone will be able to buy from them without any vested interest from a shareholder.

Logan added that they are not only interested in South Africa's business through their cable extension, but are looking at other growing markets like Angola and Ghana.

Main One is expected to start building their South African leg in early 2011 with a planned launch date of late 2011.
Source

If they do indeed partner with SEACOM, that's even better for redundancy, as the cables will be in totally separate geographical areas (and in particular, if SEACOM decides not to partner with EASSy, we could be in for another price war - depends how they price themselves in the market). Sucks that it will only be late 2011 though.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Compliments of Craemer's

Fibre-optic cable system operator Seacom expects its faulty undersea cable to be repaired at the end of this week, as the repair schedule remained on track.

However, the company cautioned that a number of external factors including location, water depth, ocean currents and weather made the cable outage "very difficult" to repair
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
jee

Post by jee »

Now we will have the Nigerians steel the bandwidth and the pirates occupy the sea cable.
We lost major productivity with this faulty cable cause our main server was still in Belgium.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »