Under Da Sea: SEACOM, EASSy and other submarines

Network problem solving and tweaks
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Under Da Sea: SEACOM, EASSy and other submarines

Post by Stuart »

MyBB wrote:SEACOM cable construction finished; end-to-end testing of the services to start soon

SEACOM, the 1.28 Tbps East African undersea fibre-optic cable system, promised South Africans more affordable international bandwidth from mid-2009. Unlike other cable projects which were dogged by delays, SEACOM is running according to schedule.

“SEACOM is in its final stretch! With the rapid progress of SEACOM’s construction, we will soon be providing cheaper and faster bandwidth to our customers. The Site Acceptance Testing was recently completed in Mombasa, and the terminal installation has also been completed in South Africa,” the SEACOM CEO said recently.

According to the SEACOM website the system will be completed in 49 days, but a reliable industry source said that the physical cable system is already completed and that the final preparations are now underway before testing which starts in early June.

Neotel Chief Technology Officer Angus Hay confirmed that they are preparing end-to-end testing on SEACOM from early June. Hay further highlighted that this testing will involve the full system – from the Neotel point-of-presence in Midrand to international destinations.

SEACOM is set to become operational by the end of June.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: SEACOM Construction Finished!

Post by Stuart »

okay, now that i have posted that i await for someone to point out that it's already been posted today.

3 ...

2 ...

1 ...
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

No, hasn't been posted today. Except by you. :wink:

However, I am expecting SEACOM to make no impact whatsoever with regards to broadband pricing.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

not immediately, agreed. you don't think it'll have an eventual impact?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

No. Given the state of telecommunications in this country, the only shift is likely to be upwards, and not downwards.

One needs only look at recent statements from the bigwigs at IS to work out why.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

hmmm ... your pessimism is refreshing. i do think we should be cautious about getting too excited. let's wait and see how it turns out.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Anything that advances a 3rd world emerging economy is deemed a cash cow by the people steering these projects.
If anyone had any hope for actual competition to emerge from this endeavor that passes a benefit to the residential consumer, I am sorry.
You may now have some beans and cabbage (to be obtained in isle 3, discount section) to clear out all that smoke. I need to clear some myself.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Yawn. SSDD.
Wake me when it actually makes a difference to the pricing/speed/anal governments hold on the telecommunications of RSA.

Heard this many times.

Can I haz a reality pill?
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Frozenfireside wrote:Yawn. SSDD.
lol, someone read dreamcatcher :P
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

I actually got a call from an authorized SEACOM bandwith reseller. To try and convince us.

Apparantly there is only a few companies that is allowed to sell SEACOM's bandwith.
I know IS is one of them cant remember the rest including the one that phoned me.

They do offer some pro's over telkom's cons.
But its nothing great imo.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 03 Apr 2011, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
doo_much

Seacom undersea cable goes live, boosts connectivity

Post by doo_much »

Seacom undersea cable goes live, boosts connectivity
The highly-anticipated Seacom undersea fibre-optics network was completed and went live on Thursday – boosting international connectivity on the East Coast of Africa.

“Today, is a historic day for Africa, and marks the dawn of a new era for communications between the continent and the rest of the world. Our tireless efforts of the past 24 months have come to fruition, and we are proud to be the first to provide affordable, high quality broadband capacity and experience to East African economies,” enthused Seacom CEO Brian Herlihy.

“Turning the switch ‘on’ creates a huge anticipation but, ultimately, Seacom will be judged on the changes that take place on the continent over the coming years,” he added.

Terrestrial backhaul linkage networks to Johannesburg, Nairobi and Kampala, with the cable’s coastal landing stations have been established and Seacom said it was working with its national partners to commission the final links to Kigali and Addis Ababa.

More

Oh joy. Now the Nigerians will have even cheaper e-mail and internet. :(
Last edited by doo_much on 24 Jul 2009, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Seacom undersea cable goes live, boosts connectivity

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Oh joy. Now the Nigerians will have even cheaper e-mail and internet. :(
So they can sell cheaper drugs?
doo_much

Re: Seacom undersea cable goes live, boosts connectivity

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
doo_much wrote:Oh joy. Now the Nigerians will have even cheaper e-mail and internet. :(
So they can sell cheaper drugs?
Possibly! :shock:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

One thing that people seem to not realise is that the current SAT-3 cable (used by Telkom) is only 120 Gbit/s.
SEACOM is running at 1.28 Tbit/s (1280 Gbit/s).

Surely that fact alone means something, at least? :?
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DarkStar wrote:One thing that people seem to not realise is that the current SAT-3 cable (used by Telkom) is only 120 Gbit/s.
SEACOM is running at 1.28 Tbit/s (1280 Gbit/s).

Surely that fact alone means something, at least? :?
Someone posted a link the other day claiming that, whilst 1.28 Tbit/s is the CAPABILITY, it won't be running at that initially. Might've been Katie. Will have to see if I can find it.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

i JuST WANT LOTS OF FRee INTeRWeBS. bRING IT ALReADY.

I am tired of being ripped off.
jee

Post by jee »

I am working with a number of suppliers/vendors - some tell me that we will not see a marked difference as they have to recoup their money first (for buying in).

Other tell me that we will get more bandwidth for the same price....

No-one can give me a guarantee.
Problem is that there are so many places that are without - and I believe that the "extra" bandwidth will be uses to give access to rural areas, instead of boosting the existing connectivity. Anyway, thats what government wants..
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Hehehe Hostworx is dropping their bandwidth costs by about 20% in the next 3 months. And all due to Seacom :P
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Mow

Post by Mow »

The first effect mainstream user will see is larger caps for the same cash. think 7Gb for the price of 5. Online gamers will see a lower international latecy and performance of streaming services like YouTube will improve. If you look at how the YouTube sends there multicast data you should be able to watch a video realtime with a 192kbps connection. This has been impossible because protocal shaping and Qos on saix. Now with more BD , this should ease.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Hehehe Hostworx is dropping their bandwidth costs by about 20% in the next 3 months. And all due to Seacom :P
Like I said
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Mow

Post by Mow »

I didn't argue . ? ? ?
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Nope didn't say you were. I'm just making a point. and that is that bandwidth costs are actually going to go doooooowwwwwwnnnn. :P
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Yeah, R299 to R239 is a HUGE drop.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Okay, so noobie here wants to know if this will just relate to ADSL or if 3G will also come down?

Haven't got a clue whether these two technologies are related
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]