So, you have a new ADSL line and it's up and running...

Network problem solving and tweaks
Sojourn

So, you have a new ADSL line and it's up and running...

Post by Sojourn »

Your first line of defense agains hackers and people out there with malicious intent is NOT having the latest and greatest firewall... what will save you is, in fact, common sense. Reading this thread is a clear indication that you are on the right track.

Alot of info on the web tells you to do this and/or download that, change this setting and/or update this feature, but most of them don't tell you in layman's terms how to do these things, and also not WHY you should do it. I will to the best of my ability try to address this lack of comprehensiveness. That said, I will be assuming that you are not new to basic PC knowledge.

What is the 1st few things you should do security-wise to ensure ID theft (stealing your cap/bandwidth) does not take place ? The following will also protect against most other threats.

The 10 ADSL "must-do-actions":

1. Change you Router access password.

WHY?
ID's and passwords are used for access control. You won't leave you car or house key in the door after locking it, then why leave the keys to you internet access info available for those willing to obtain it with minimal effort? Minimal effort includes the use of ip-sweeps, port scanners on PC's where replies were received from those sweeps and then the connecting to the Router in much the same way as explained below, using your unchanged default factory password.

Your router stores just about all your ADSL settings, as well as Local Area Network(LAN) settings (if your Router have RJ45 LAN ports) and also all the settings to your Wireless config, should you have a wireless Router. Not only can the person with access view these settings, they can make CHANGES! Making changes will be the least of your worries. In there, freely available, is the account name and password to gain access to your ISP. It just makes sense to protect all this info.

How-to
All Routers come with documentation and some also with a software CD, if you did not receive any documentation with yours, take it up with the person/store/business where you obtained your ADSL Router. Keep your manual and software close as you continue reading. (NOTE: Some Routers allow you to change the user ID as well as the password, this is totally up to you. I will only address the changing of the password, as this will give adequate protection and complicate things less.)

Passwords 101 - a crash course: When selecting a new password, use a mix of numbers, letters and and SHIFT characters like @#$%^&*(... this will stop your neighbour's dweepish son from getting your password because he knows your pet tarantula's name is Fluffypuff. Then continue by NOT forgetting what the password is, without writing it on the pad thats always lying on your desk.

There is up to 3 ways to change your Router access password, and depending on your make and model you may have all 3 available or just one of them. The first is the easiest and also the recommended path to follow, but not always available. Look for a quick-installer app or setup-wizard on your CD, it is a small application that allows you to change the password of the Router, amongst other things. It might even auto-start when you insert the software CD. Running this while you have the modem connected to your PC, will allow you to make the change. This app might also ask you to enter your router ip-address and default password in order to connect to it, read below for that info.

If that’s not possible, open your manual and find the entry where the ip-address of the modem is given. It might be under a heading for advanced users or under an “Access your Router” heading, and contains numeric value’s in the following syntax: 10.1.1.10 or 10.0.0.23 or similar. Now go START > RUN and type the following as-is http://10.10.10.10 - where the 10.10.10.10 is the ip-address as it appears in your manual. Press enter. Your web-browser will open and a log-in box or window will appear. At the same place where you found the Router ip-address in your manual, you will find the default ID and password for your Router. (This is the very password we are now going to change). Enter the ID and password as it appears in your manual.

You are now connected to the web-interface of your Router where all the settings for everything can be changed and configured. DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO ANY SETTING ANYWHERE UNLESS EXPLICITLY TOLD TO DO SO BY THIS GUIDE OR WILEY E. COYOTE (at your own peril).

This brings us to the 2nd way of changing your Router access password. Some Routers give the same setup-wizard option mentioned above, but from inside this web-interface. Look for words like “Quick-Setup”, “Setup-Wizard” or similar. Clicking this will run a scripted event that takes you through the main options you need to configure your Router. Amongst this in most cases is the option to change your Router access password. Do so when prompted, leave the other values, do not change anything else. Save your change if prompted.

The 3rd way is to simply go and change the password manually. As you are already connected to the Router’s web-interface, you need to look for a menu item named “Admin” or “Administration” or “Access Control”. These entries might be under a sub-menu of “Advanced Features” or “Access Management”. Once you found the place, go ahead and change the password. Save your change if prompted, or you might have a “SAVE” button to click. Do so.

Log out of your Router (or just close the web-browser) and re-connect as per above using the new access credentials and password as you changed it. Congrats, you are now part of the ADSL users that actually have a first line of defense against kids with too much time on their hands.

2. If you are not using the wireless feature of the router, disable it. If you ARE using it, make it secure.

WHY

As is obviously implied, anyone and everyone can connect to an unsecured network. It's the same as someone bringing a computer to your house, plugging in a network cable and using your Internet connection - only it's easier for a hacker to use wireless as they don't need physical access to your property. All he needs do is sit in the street with a WiFi enabled laptop and blow your cap.

For this reason, wireless should be turned OFF if you're not planning on using it. In fact, rather don't get a modem or router with wireless capability if you won't use it. Besides the increased security that this gives you, it also saves you a few hundred bucks. :P

If you're like me and you have to go wireless (flatmate's laptop, my Desire HD), then you simply MUST secure it. Most decent routers offer you the choice of WPA or WEP. Never choose WEP; it has cryptographic weaknesses and can be cracked in a few minutes. If your router only offers WEP, get a new router. If you can't manage this, then start laying cables instead.

There are two flavours of WPA: standard WPA and WPA-PSK. Standard WPA uses a RADIUS server to authenticate users. This is quite fiddly to set up and it of course requires a dedicated server for that. It's fine for a company, but not for home use (unless you either have experience with this kind of thing or are feeling particularly masochistic), so there's WPA-PSK which uses a private shared key between the client and the router to authenticate clients - which will do just fine for home use.

I can't stress this enough: make your private shared key as difficult to guess as possible. If it's something easy to guess, you're just providing yourself a false sense of security, and having a false sense of security is worse than having no security at all. Here's an example. Back in 2006, a company in the same building as me set up a wireless network. They used WEP (which, as I said earlier, is insecure), and used "12345" as their network key. Guess how long it took us to crack that. On my wireless network, I use an insanely long key, consisting of letters (mixed-case), numbers, and symbols. You should do the same.

There's two encryption algorithms that you can use with WPA: TKIP or AES. AES is the stronger algorithm but requires more processing power and network overhead; however with todays processors as powerful as they are, there's no excuse not to use AES. (I believe that TKIP is easily brute-forced nowadays).

There's other measures that you can take. One of them is to disable the broadcast of your wireless network's name (SSID). A person needs to know what the SSID is in order to connect to the network. Another one is to enable MAC address filtering, where you only allow certain network cards to connect to the network. None of these two methods are foolproof - tools exist to determine hidden SSIDs, and MAC addresses can be spoofed. It does give you a little extra protection, however.

A wireless network can never be 100% secure, but hopefully you can make it secure enough so that J. Random Hacker gives up and moves on to an easier target. (Unless he really doesn't like you.)

HOW-TO

Login to your router with your new username and password (you did read step 1 and change that, didn't you?). Then, look for the wireless configuration page - it's typically called "Wireless Settings", "Wireless" or "802.11g".

Most of the time, the options you need to change will all be on the same page. There may be a few routers however that put core wireless network settings (such as the SSID) on one page and wireless network security on another. Use your head when figuring out where everything is.

The page, when found and loaded, will look similar to the images below (the router in question is the über-expensive and rare as hen's teeth D-Link DGL-4300):

The first thing you need to do is give your network a name, by changing the SSID value. Once that's done, it's a good idea to hide SSID broadcasting. On the DGL-4300, this is set by making the network "invisible", but this is typically called "disable SSID broadcast" or something to that effect.

Next, enable encryption. Find the drop-down list that specifies these options and select WPA-PSK from the list. (The DGL-4300 calls it "WPA-Personal".)

If you have one of the newer routers (or one with new firmware), you may be asked to select between WPA and WPA2. There's not much difference, only that WPA2 supports stronger AES (according to an article that I was reading on SmallNetBuilder this morning). The problem with WPA2 is that not all clients support it, so you may have to leave it on WPA. (A driver update for your wireless network card may help). As you can see, on my network I support both, so that the WPA2 client (my computer) can use WPA2 and the client that doesn't support WPA2 (my sister's laptop) can use WPA.

Next, choose between TKIP and AES. As already mentioned, you should choose AES in almost all cases. The DGL-4300 doesn't have this option; it automatically chooses for you based on your choice of WPA or WPA2.

Finally, put in your network key. The longer, more complex and more difficult to guess it is, the better.

Save your new settings and reboot the router.

Now, you need to put these settings into your client. You'll have to go to your client's advanced options and enter the SSID manually, since you hid it. You also need to specify in your client's options that you're using WPA/WPA2, the encryption cipher (TKIP/AES), and of course the pre-shared key. You'll need to do this for all clients.

If you configure your clients correctly, they should successfully reconnect to the network. Well done, you're among the 1% of users that has a wireless network with decent security. (According to a statistic that I found this morning, 70% of wireless networks are unsecured, 29% use WEP - which can be cracked within minutes these days - and the remaining 1% use WPA.)

If you find that your clients aren't connecting anymore, then double-check the settings in the client - most of the time you would have made a typo with the pre-shared key. If you're still not having much luck, start a new thread and ask for assistance.

That's pretty much it as far as securing your wireless network goes.

3. Use the firewall if it is a feature on your Router. Install a firewall on your OS. Maintain latest versions / patches of the installed firewall.

WHY

A firewall acts as a kind of filter for TCP/IP traffic. The Wikipedia definition is that it is an "information technology security device which is configured to permit, deny or proxy data connections set and configured by the organization's security policy." Basically, what they're saying is that a firewall controls what comes in to your network, and what goes out.

Obviously, this is incredibly useful from a security point of view, as I'm sure that you don't want J. Random Hacker accessing your shared files and applications on your computer. If J. Random Hacker is really good, he can connect to your computer and take advantage of operating system vulnerabilities, as well as installing all sorts of malware on your computer. A firewall is the first line of defence against this happening.

There are two types of firewall: hardware and software. A software firewall is an application installed on a target computer (like yours), a good example being ZoneAlarm. A hardware firewall is a dedicated piece of hardware that does the same job - typically, your router will be able to do this if you went out and bought a decent one.

In addition, firewalls are also classified by how they operate. Network layer firewalls operate at a relatively low level of the OSI network model, and are IP packet filters. They filter traffic on attibutes such as source IP address, source port, destination IP address, destination port, and that sort of thing. An application layer firewall operates at a higher level and intercepts packets travelling to or from a certain application. ZoneAlarm is, once again, a good example of this, with its feature of controlling access on a per-program basis, while hardware firewalls typically operate at the network layer.

Network layer firewalls typically don't need updating (although it's always a good idea to periodically check for updated firmware for your router); application layer firewalls on the other hand should be updated regularly so that it's database of applications and known application-layer threats are as up to date as possible.

Firewalls will become even more important in future - at the moment, your network receives a single public IP address, and you have to port-forward to desired private IP addresses to allow incoming traffic in. This is Network Address Translation (NAT), in case you're wondering. This was not designed for security though - it was designed to try and squeeze some more life out of the rather small IPv4 address pool (we would have run out of addresses much faster if we had to assign public IPv4 addresses to every network device on every home network). IPv6 won't have those address space limitations, which may mean that we lose NAT when we all migrate over, although at this stage it's too early to say for sure.

(How-to pending.)

4. Install anti-virus software. Keep the virus-definitions database up to date. Maintain latest versions / patches.

(Why? - pending)

(How-to pending.)

5. Don't use an aministrator account as your main account.

(Why? - pending)

(How-to pending.)

6. Enable the feature that asks you to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to log-on.

(Why? - pending)

(How-to pending.)

7. Use a password that is alfa-numeric and more than 6 digits. No real words.

(Why? - pending)

(How-to pending.)

8. Make use of security features offered by your ISP, like limited concurrent connections.

(Why? - pending)

(How-to pending.)

9. As painful as it is, do not disable your software patch auto-downloaders. Keep your OS and Internet Browser patched.

(Why? - pending)

(How-to pending.)

10. Generally speaking, maintain a non-braindead attitude when it comes to opening e-mails, visiting websites and downloading data.

s

INFO IN THIS POST IS FROM OWN KNOWLEDGE, CONTRIBUTIONS IN THIS THREAD AND GOOGLE. UPDATES WILL BE MADE INTERMITTENTLY TO ENSURE THE DATA IS AS CURRENT AS POSSIBLE. SEND ME A PM OR POST IF YOU FIND ANY ERROR OR HAVE ANY CONTRIBUTION TO MAKE.

Edit: Sticky - Kronos
Last edited by Sojourn on 08 Jun 2011, 11:20, edited 14 times in total.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Changing the passwords on your router would be a good place to start.
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

10 points for Gromit.
How would you go about doing this for the noobs out there... ?

s
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

What router do you have?
www.pewifi.co.za
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

lol - I am an CCNE. This is to create awareness.
Be resourceful, post links, or give general advice.

s
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

make sure none of your passwords equal these
www.pewifi.co.za
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Temporary Absence
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Thats all nice... but now Mr Noob asks... "but where do I click on my PC to get the password change window for my dsl router?"

s

(READ THE 1ST POST IN THE THREAD FOR THE HOW-TO)
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Mr noob, state your router Brand and model please ?
:?
Temporary Absence
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Sojourn wrote:10 points for Gromit.

s
Easiest way is to RTFM
Y0da
Moderator Emeritus

Re: So, you have a new ADSL line and it's up and running...

Post by Y0da »

Sojourn wrote:What is the 1st few things you should do security-wise to ensure ID theft (stealing your cap/bandwidth) does not take place ?

s
1. Change the default username/password on the router (Admin AND guest accounts)

2. Turn off remote TCP/IP and Telnet. This will make the router inaccessable from outside you local area network.

3. You router should come with a built it firewall. Use it.

4. Change your ISP password once a month. You can do this online in most cases so it's not hard to do.

5. Rather use PPPOE (dail-up mode) if you can.

Let me explain how usernames & passwords are harvested.

First your thief uses a ping scanner to ping all ip's in a specific range (165.x.x.x). Next he will type in the ip adresses in his browser of choice until he gets a login screen from your router. Most routers tell you what kind it is so you just google the default username and password. If our thief is lucky you didn't change the default username and password and he now has your router config screen open in front of him. Now all he does is navigate to the appropriate screen where your ISP detail is and open that page in a text editor such as notepad. This reveals your password and he can now start stealing your bandwidth.

Do I get a prize?

P.S. Don't ask me to explain this on n00b level. ;)
Just when I got the hang of life they changed the rules.
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Another thing you could do is to make your router not respond to unsolicited ICMP traffic which basically makes it invisible to the above mentioned ping scanner attack
Sojourn

Re: So, you have a new ADSL line and it's up and running...

Post by Sojourn »

Y0da wrote:
Sojourn wrote:What is the 1st few things you should do security-wise to ensure ID theft (stealing your cap/bandwidth) does not take place ?

s
1. Change the default username/password on the router (Admin AND guest accounts)

2. Turn off remote TCP/IP and Telnet. This will make the router inaccessable from outside you local area network.

3. You router should come with a built it firewall. Use it.

4. Change your ISP password once a month. You can do this online in most cases so it's not hard to do.

5. Rather use PPPOE (dail-up mode) if you can.

Let me explain how usernames & passwords are harvested.

First your thief uses a ping scanner to ping all ip's in a specific range (165.x.x.x). Next he will type in the ip adresses in his browser of choice until he gets a login screen from your router. Most routers tell you what kind it is so you just google the default username and password. If our thief is lucky you didn't change the default username and password and he now has your router config screen open in front of him. Now all he does is navigate to the appropriate screen where your ISP detail is and open that page in a text editor such as notepad. This reveals your password and he can now start stealing your bandwidth.

Do I get a prize?

P.S. Don't ask me to explain this on n00b level. ;)
Nice post Yoda...
I will do the mind-numbing slogg and translate it into noob-speak on the 1st post in the thread, have already started.

s
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

viceroy wrote:Another thing you could do is to make your router not respond to unsolicited ICMP traffic which basically makes it invisible to the above mentioned ping scanner attack
TYVM viceroy, I will add all contributions to the 1st post in the thread. You just added the firewall. :-)

s
Last edited by Sojourn on 15 Feb 2007, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

viceroy wrote:

s
Easiest way is to RTFM
No manual is noob-proof. I am going to try the unthinkable and try to make this one just that.

s
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Sojourn wrote:
viceroy wrote:

s
Easiest way is to RTFM
No manual is noob-proof. I am going to try the unthinkable and try to make this one just that.

s
Quite a test you've set yourself there.

Oh, another thing which I do which isn't totally hack proof (but what is?) is to only allow mac addresses which I've specified. This is only really needed if you are using a wireless router.

Another good idea is to get a list of all ports which are known to be used by hackers and not used by anything which the average user would use, for example port 139 and to add an entry in the NAT to point any traffic bound for that port to go to an empty IP address.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Nice thread. I'm still waiting for Telkom to remove their finger out of their @sses.

Can anybody steal my ISP account if no-one can physically access my pc?
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
viceroy

Post by viceroy »

Yes. Telkom ISP staff do it all the time
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

SoulBlade wrote:Can anybody steal my ISP account if no-one can physically access my pc?
That is a very broad question... the quick answer would be yes, considering somebody at your ISP might have access to the subscriber database. Allthough most ISP's dont store accounts and passwords together, and keep that data encrypted, you never know.

If I can translate your Q, you just asked: "If nobody sits right behind my PC, can they still access my ISP account details remotely using apps?"

In that scenario if you did all the steps in the opening post, you should be fine from the main forms of remote attack.

s

(Go to the 1st post in the thread for the HOW-TO)
Last edited by Sojourn on 15 Feb 2007, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Shot, thx, I might remote control my pc from work but thats about it.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Updated the first entry, working on the 2nd. Feedback welcome.

s
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Aren't I secure enough using "Secure ADSL" ?

I mean, SAOL cut me off immediately the moment Telkom changed my NAS port so it does indeed work.

Btw I'm not to clued-up on this, how does someone actually get into my router?

Don't all routers by the same manufacturer have the same setup / password anyway?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Rayne wrote:Aren't I secure enough using "Secure ADSL" ?

I mean, SAOL cut me off immediately the moment Telkom changed my NAS port so it does indeed work.

Need more info on this.

Btw I'm not to clued-up on this, how does someone actually get into my router?

Read Yoda's post.

Don't all routers by the same manufacturer have the same setup / password anyway?

Same brands have in most cases the same default config, yes. The guide I am compiling from posts and info is generic.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Secure ADSL ensures that ONLY your allowed ports can access your username and password.

Benefits Of Secure ADSL
-Secures your ADSL Telkom Port to your SAOL username and password.
-Prevents hijackers from stealing your username, password and bandwidth.
-Ensuring you peace of mind that your bandwidth is used ONLY by YOURSELF.
-Easy Activation.
-No Activation or Monthly Costs.

Features and Activation of Secure ADSL
-E-mail your request to activate Secure ADSL on your account NOW!
-This service is FREE to SAOL.com users.
-Once enabled, your Telkom port is automatically assigned when you connect to SAOL.com.
-You can request additional ports to be added to the same username and password.
-E-mail support@saol.com to activate/enable Secure ADSL on your account NOW!
-Additional Port requests can be emailed to support@saol.com.
-Ports attempting to connect that are not enabled, will generate an "unauthorised port" (error on our logs.)
-This unauthorised port will not gain access to your account.
http://www.saol.com/adsl.asp
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Rayne wrote:
Secure ADSL ensures that ONLY your allowed ports can access your username and password.

Benefits Of Secure ADSL
-Secures your ADSL Telkom Port to your SAOL username and password.
-Prevents hijackers from stealing your username, password and bandwidth.
-Ensuring you peace of mind that your bandwidth is used ONLY by YOURSELF.
-Easy Activation.
-No Activation or Monthly Costs.

Features and Activation of Secure ADSL
-E-mail your request to activate Secure ADSL on your account NOW!
-This service is FREE to SAOL.com users.
-Once enabled, your Telkom port is automatically assigned when you connect to SAOL.com.
-You can request additional ports to be added to the same username and password.
-E-mail support@saol.com to activate/enable Secure ADSL on your account NOW!
-Additional Port requests can be emailed to support@saol.com.
-Ports attempting to connect that are not enabled, will generate an "unauthorised port" (error on our logs.)
-This unauthorised port will not gain access to your account.
http://www.saol.com/adsl.asp
I know what NAT ports & VLan id's/ATM pvc's /LAC's and LNS's is and I understand the tech. If I didn't I should go ask my money back. When I said "need more info" I meant the info on reason why/how your NAS would/could be changed by Telkom when that is controlled by your ISP and your ISP's service provider, in SA's case IS or SAIX.

By the way, tnx for reminding me about secure ADSL as an offering by a service provider, I will add it to the 1st post in some way.

s