Pretoria WUG

Network problem solving and tweaks
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Off-The-Chart wrote:Don't worry WiK... Let me and you also post a map where they are not on... :P

Then we won't feel so out...
haha! I doubt that us two would fit on a seperate map either :(
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Off-The-Chart wrote:Don't worry WiK... Let me and you also post a map where they are not on... :P

Then we won't feel so out...
Dude you just made my day , that was funny!!!!!!!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Okay. I checked the pic in the link. I'm on that one though. There at the top left to center there's 3 guys. Charl and Zhenq and something else. I'm just below those guys. There where that little vertical white streak is (That is Voortrekker Road BTW). Just to right of the top of that streak.
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Maybe this map this is the current PWP setup.

Dunno how correct this map it bit it should give you some indication

http://www.pwp.za.net/index.php/NodeMap\

Edit:

Even though i'm close i cant join. ive bee in contact with them the last 2 days.
But i cant exactly rush them!!! :evil:

I'm the one in need :cry:

Apparently the have +- 1000 users.
Cupersool

Post by Cupersool »

SBSP wrote:....Even though i'm close i cant join.....
Why not, what's the problem?
Cupersool

"You can not say you practice Ubuntu, but then you steal your grandmother’s pension money.” - Pres. Thabo Mbeki: Crime not out of hand 15/01/
Off-The-Chart

Post by Off-The-Chart »

sies WiK, nou is ek so alleen...

I also want someone to hold my hand... :cry:
Intel i5 750 - Asus P7P55D LE - G.Skill Ripjaws 2x 4Gig - Coolermaster HAF932
Club Radeon 5850 - Corsair HX750W - OCZ Vertex 2 120Gig SSD - 2x Seagate 1.5TB
Samsung 2494HS 1920x1080 - Logitech G15 - Logitech G500
BlackBerry Bold 9900 - iPod Touch 8Gig 2G
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Off-The-Chart wrote:sies WiK, nou is ek so alleen...

I also want someone to hold my hand... :cry:
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Cupersool wrote:
SBSP wrote:....Even though i'm close i cant join.....
Why not, what's the problem?
There no problem its i cant detect their tower
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

lol Off-The-Chart it for real Off the chart
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

For those in the east of Pretoria, have a lewk ...

http://wirelessafrica.meraka.org.za/wik ... toria_Mesh

I'm kinda high on a hill, and I've got a (1mW I think) booster.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

GrimStoner wrote:For those in the east of Pretoria, have a lewk ...

You dont want to mess with boosters if you dont have an ICASA license. You are going to mess up the spectrum, and they are going to come looking for you. :)
Port Elizabeth Wireless User Group
www.pewifi.co.za
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

Anyone have any legal knowledge of this? Is there any info anywhere regarding transmitting on the 2.4Ghz band? I've checked the ICASA website, but can't find anything pertaining to boosting WiFi signals.
Chermobil

PTA East

Post by Chermobil »

Last edited by Chermobil on 23 Feb 2007, 20:21, edited 3 times in total.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

GrimStoner wrote:For those in the east of Pretoria, have a lewk ...

Are there any other WISPs or wireless networks in the area?
www.pewifi.co.za
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

Well, apparantly the CSIR is running a test :
This network is a research network for the Wireless Africa Research Group of the Meraka Institute, situated at the CSIR. A number of employees are connected. It is an IPv6 based network that uses mesh network protocols for routing. It is based on Freifunk and FreeBSD firmware and runs on Linksys or Soekris devices with a combination of omni-directional and directional antennas to create the wireless network.
There is also neology...

http://www.neology.co.za/

They do the metropolitan WiFi in Pretoria.
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

GrimStoner wrote:Well, apparantly the CSIR is running a test :
This network is a research network for the Wireless Africa Research Group of the Meraka Institute, situated at the CSIR. A number of employees are connected. It is an IPv6 based network that uses mesh network protocols for routing. It is based on Freifunk and FreeBSD firmware and runs on Linksys or Soekris devices with a combination of omni-directional and directional antennas to create the wireless network.
There is also neology...

http://www.neology.co.za/

They do the metropolitan WiFi in Pretoria.
Then like I say avoid the signal boosting equipment. You are just going to flood the spectrum, other wireless networks in the area are going to loose signal. They will report the problem to ICASA who will pop around with a spectrum analyzer, then you are in the poo.

They will just confiscate your equipment but "in the poo" sounds better. ;)
www.pewifi.co.za
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

The present 2.4 GHz frequency block is presently part of the Primary licensed 2.3 GHz Fixed Services link band, forming the upper "leg" of this band. These links are deployed on a national basis for certain backhaul services for national networks, e.g. PSTN, power utility, railways, safety and security etc.
The 2.4 GHz ISM portion is, however, also utilised or allowed on a licence exempt secondary basis, e.g. Low Power Video(LPVS), LAN's, Bluetooth, etc. and have to abide by certain regulations. These services fall under the category Short Range Devices (SRD's) deployed in buildings, warehouses and certain single properties or campuses. (Please find attached a copy thereof, see page 10.) These services shall not cause any harmfull interference to existing primary users mentioned above.
The maximum EIRP Tx power limit for wireless computer networks in the
2.4 GHz band is 100 mW, and are confined to one single campus or property.
Any transmissions outside these boundaries and power limits constitute an illegal act and are, therefore, unauthorised.
ProtZkroG

Post by ProtZkroG »

guys,

check out www.ptawug.co.za

PTAWUG has been running for 9 months now, got 44 connections to the network at this point, got 8 highsites up (digging the foundation for another tower this weekend in Riveria). Jawug, the network in JHB, has been running for 4 years, they have 80 connections. PTAWUG is linked to Jawug, 22km link.

Any one interested in joining - please plot your location on www.wug.za.net (even if your house is not mapped as having coverage - wifi is not exact, as long as you have line of sight to a highsite). PTAWUG slogan - "if you don't have coverage, you make coverage" - extend the network.

If you have any questions - please post here, or speak to us on IRC - irc.ptawug.co.za #ptawug

here's a coverage map : Image
Mow

Post by Mow »

GrimStoner wrote:
The present 2.4 GHz frequency block is presently part of the Primary licensed 2.3 GHz Fixed Services link band, forming the upper "leg" of this band. These links are deployed on a national basis for certain backhaul services for national networks, e.g. PSTN, power utility, railways, safety and security etc.
The 2.4 GHz ISM portion is, however, also utilised or allowed on a licence exempt secondary basis, e.g. Low Power Video(LPVS), LAN's, Bluetooth, etc. and have to abide by certain regulations. These services fall under the category Short Range Devices (SRD's) deployed in buildings, warehouses and certain single properties or campuses. (Please find attached a copy thereof, see page 10.) These services shall not cause any harmfull interference to existing primary users mentioned above.
The maximum EIRP Tx power limit for wireless computer networks in the
2.4 GHz band is 100 mW, and are confined to one single campus or property.
Any transmissions outside these boundaries and power limits constitute an illegal act and are, therefore, unauthorised.

Yes. the entire wug concept is completely illegal. No transmission over public roads unless telkom not able to provide an alternative solution. But who cares. Also mid 2009 the output limit will be increased to 1watt.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
Just1f1c4t10n

I CAN HAS WUG

Post by Just1f1c4t10n »

Hey guys, firstly on the subject of legality: The frequencies of 2.4Ghz (standard IEEE 802.11b/g or WiFi) as well as the 5.8Ghz frequencies are free for all frequencies, not regulated by ICASA as no regulation has been proposed to the effect, and these fequencies may be used for, well anything, as long as it doesn't cause interference and accepts any interference. So what we are doing is completely legal, think of it as a radio amatures club of sorts, only we use TCP/IP. PTAWUG is a non-profit organisation that strives to promote the use and stretch of the wug, and as we are a community project, there is no "leader" or corporate body. The wug is maintained and built by those who form part of it (the community) and all funds and hardware are recieved in form of donations by the community , where credit is given and mentioned to what use the funds will be given for, on the website.
Just to clarify all the other entities who are also involved in wireless community projects,
PWP is Pretoria Wireless Project, who does the same thing as PTAwug, only in centurion. PWP and PTAwug will most probably connect sometime.
Meraka is a government funded CSIR project who aims to build a wireless mesh by using Linksys WRT routers and omni antennas to cover a wide ares, (very ineffective in my opinion). Although PTAwug and Meraka had discussions, a decision was made that the parties did not have a common goal.
JAwug is Johannesburg's WUG, exactly the same as PTAwug but in joburg. We currently have a link to Jawug through Grand Central in Midrand.

The equipment you require depends on your distance to nearest high site or station, and may vary from a pci wifi card with a dipole antenna (if you live next to the high site), to advanced kit such as a routerboard built into an enclosure with a grid antenna pointing to the nearest high site (theoretically up to 150km). The main principle of wlan's using these frequencies is that there must be LOS (line of sight) or atleast almost LOS between two nodes. Also, the reason the routerboard or routerpc must be placed in an external enclosure outside, is that the cable connecting the antenna with the radio, causes signal loss per meter, and this distance should be kept as short as possible.

The uses for a network such as this is endless, ranging from simple IRC or file transfers, to VOIP and video streaming.

So what should you do to get connected?

1. Register and plot your co-ordinates on www.wug.za.net.
2. Check out www.ptawug.co.za
3. Chat with us on irc.ptawug.za.net #ptawug
As this is a community project the best way to figure out what's going on is to talk to the community.
4. After finding out if you have LOS to anywhere or some sort of coverage, you can buy your equipment, either from anywhere you want or directly from suppliers as we have supllier accounts with all the major SA distributors
5. We'll help you set up your equipment
6. TADA! Your connected!

Please note that we DO NOT PROVIDE INTERNET nor are we a service provider of any sorts. This is a community project and everyone is only so much involved as they need to be.

PTAwug has been an awesome learning experience and great hobby for me for the past 6 months, and I have learned alot, from building the hardware, how wireless frequencies work, to working with a routing OS and tcp/ip routing etc etc.

Feel free to ask any questions or talk to me on:
MSN: just@thenerdcorp.co.za
or on irc: just1f1c4t10n
I AM THE LAW!
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

nevermind...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ProtZkroG

Post by ProtZkroG »

geez justification, lekker wug-opstel daarso getik, hehe :)
Just1f1c4t10n

Post by Just1f1c4t10n »

Haha ja natuurlik. I am empowering the people.
I AM THE LAW!
ProtZkroG

Post by ProtZkroG »

a lot of PCF members have registered on www.wug.za.net already, and not only PTAWUG people, jawug, ctwug and dwc. thanks for the response
ProtZkroG

Post by ProtZkroG »

Digging the foundation and welding the tower for the new Riveria highsite

http://www.wug.za.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6721