StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

How secure is my computer

Post by StarPhoenix »

On the odd ocassion, I use my brother's credit card to buy games on GoG or STEAM, or to buy Amazon Gift Vouchers.
I asked him this weekend whether I might use his details again, and he asked me how secure my computer is, and how I know whether someone hasn't. or couldn't hack into it and take his credit card information. He said that people sometimes drive around and hack into computers from their laptops.

How do I know how safe his information, what loopholes exist on my computer, how I might make my machine more difficult to hack, and what practises I ought to follow to ensure that my computer and internet connection is as safe as possible? [Unfortunately my room has a sliding door, so I cannot lock it to keep other people in the house from entering my room.] He also asked about insurance....but that is a topic for another thread.

Thank you.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: How secure is my computer

Post by Tribble »

I have linked my credit card to a paypal account (overseas one). As far as I know nothing is completely safe - only abstinence. I do believe this is safer than entering your details online on a site. Most places do take paypal but there are a few that don't.

Perhaps there is software that can protect your machine - I don't know. Password protect your internet and don't visit Jamin approved sites. Don't use the same passwords for all the sites you visit either.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Hmmm....so Ideally I would need to have my own card and then link it to Paypal?
Um.... :oops: how would I go about protecting my internet connection with a password?
Last edited by StarPhoenix on 15 Jan 2012, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Or your brother could link his and tell you the password
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

I had no idea that buying goods online could be so fraught with peril. :shock:

I have been buying games from etailers for years. Are e.f.t.s not completely safe either?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

:lol: what century are you from :?:

Buying goods online is far less fraught with danger than handing your physical card to some doos at Edgars...

As suggested, if all you are doing is buying online, Paypal is ideal. You register your card there once, and then never use it again, Paypal acts as intermediary for all transactions. You can even secure it more buy having Paypal SMS your cellphone a security code for every transaction. So even if someone steals your password, without you phone as well, they cant do anything.

Most e-retailers use paypal. A few places don't - Steam being one of them. You'll just have to bite the bullet there, or go buy physical copies of your games for cash, or buy physical copies of the games from e-retailers who accept Paypal.

But as long as you only use your credit card at trusted e-retailers (big names) and have a bit of common sense when it comes to AV and making sure your PC isn't infected by any nasties, using a credit card online is safe.

As for people driving around stealing internet - that is sheer ignorance in this day and age.
Sure they can connect to your wireless network if it's unprotected, they can even see the data you transmit, but since all transactions are now SSL encrypted the data is unreadable to them. So unless your store your credit card numbers somewhere in plain text, you are fine.

Sounds like he just doesn't want you to use his credit card. And rightly so, time to put your big boy pants on, head down to the bank and get one of your own.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

^^ I'm with the hummas on this one... unless you are a complete clot Internet transactions are as safe as actually unplugging your PC from the net.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:Most e-retailers use paypal. A few places don't - Steam being one of them.
this may not be entirely accurate... at least i hope it isn't, given the large number of games i've secured over steam via paypal...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I stand corrected then.
I don't buy many games on Steam, just the ones on special, and then a CC is fine.

Steam Australia is exceptionally crap as they want absurd amounts of money for games... They want $79 (R640) for Anno2070...
I dont think so. Got it from the UK for $40 with shipping.

Now when you are talking about shipping.... THAT is when Paypal is handy.
There are some retailers who dont really do the whole after-sales support thing. They'll post your item. Oh? It didnt arrive or is taking ages? Tough.
Not with Paypal. Just file an item not received complaint. Paypal will immediately take the money back from the seller and hold it until the matter gets resolved. And the matter is usually speedily resolved.

I'm not a d1ck about it tho, I'll give an item 2 weeks to arrive from the date it is sent (that is fair even for intl shipping) after 2 weeks I send an email to the seller asking WTF. If I havent heard back in 2 business days, I tell on them.

Only ever had to do it twice with e-bay sellers. Both times the matter was sorted very quickly after the complaint was made to Paypal.

As a buyer, Paypal rules. As a seller - maybe not so much? but it's so popular you HAVE to deal with it if you sell online
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Thank you.