Firewalls and antivirus

Viruses, hackers and crackers
JollyJamma

Firewalls and antivirus

Post by JollyJamma »

Hi all
I need to get proper antivirus and a firewall and I'm dealing with teh darksidez of the net.
Lot's of software that could be infected and most of it's clean but just one powerful virus and I'm nailed.

Currently running Windows 7+Fedora 14 on my lappie with a BackTrack 4.0 boot on a flash drive and RTL8187 wireless adapter with a 9Dbi antennae.

Sick stuff but I'm scared of getting nailed.
Any ideas? I'm tempted to get KAV2011 with firewall or Avast pro.

Little behind on antivirus and the last thing I knew Norton 2005 was like having a an expensive bullet you paid for with your name on it.

Serial, it sucked.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
thEnaileDonE

Re: Firewalls and antivirus

Post by thEnaileDonE »

I would ensure that I am in Fedora when I am dealing on the dark side... Not that I would deal there to start with ;)
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Fair point yes and since my memory usage is 300megs it's very fast it just has zero power control and my system starts to heat up and the fans go nuts no matter what work I do. Then the battery dies.

It's good to get back into Liniux actually. I enjoy it and it keeps me busy. Su yum install aircrack-ng etc

I have some windows apps is why I will need a firewall. They only work under windows too which is odd. Firesheep, etc.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

MSE?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Wassat?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

No thanks
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

I run MSE on my Windows machine... it is as free and as good/bad as anything out there... Off course I don't do anything except game on that machine... for everything else I use a more secure operating system (and just enable the default firewall for some added security... sudo ufw enable :p)
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Grr so Bt4.0 won't work unless I run a virtual machine in windows.

Upgrading Fedora with all the Bt4.o tools but there are a lot.
Guess I'll get Kaspersky. Works liek a mudkiep on cocaine...in a good way.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
senile

Post by senile »

What's the best hardware firewall for home use? Anyone have experience with D-Link DSD-150 SecureSpot Internet Security Adapter?
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Good Q senile, Id also like to know.
And I am not interested in running a linux box for a FW, need a compact configurable device.
senile

Post by senile »