StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Am I safe?

Post by StarBound »

I am currently using Avast as my virus scanner. But I received an e-mail saying my gmail account has successfully been linked to yahoo. I was like "WHA? HOW!?". I have a yahoo account and I have a gmail account. On Y it doesnt say anything.

Before you go off and ask about link clicking I do not click on links unless they come from sources that needs activation for accounts and so on. But this has me worried that somewhere I might either have a network security link or I am getting content that isnt safe to use.

I am using a network that is connected via 2 WAPs and set up as a repeater with SSID hidden. No one should detect it. Then my pc, ps3, xbox 360 shares the network and so does a laptop. The ps3/xbox/pc are connected for a media center but nothing else and their wireless has been turned off. They work on a set network in the house.

Is there any recommendations as to what I can do to check that my home security is up to scratch? What can I do to check if anything has been accessed or so on if any?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Am I safe?

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound wrote:I received an e-mail saying my gmail account has successfully been linked to yahoo.
I receive lots of fantastic news like this.

I win lotteries, get awarded Visa's to work in America, Nigerian royalty approach me to help them through financial difficulties, my CV gets the attention of recruiters at very prestigious companies and I am constantly informed of ways to increase my size and stamina...
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Me too - and I even won the BlackBerry awards yesterday - and should receive my new Torch ....well ..... never.

The best thing you could do is get a friend to come around and try and connect to your network but it sounds pretty secure. I can just picture the idiot that wrote that email giggling at the panic he has caused with it. Perhaps I am too jaded but I will never be claiming any prizes or believe anything really that I receive via email that I never signed up for. To make yourself happier - go to a friends secure PC, log into one of those accounts and change your password.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Only if you use a condom.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

U R NOT Image
U R Image
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

Windows up-to-date... a/v up-to-date... firewall active and up-to-date... good and sober surfing habits/general computing habits... then you should be OK...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I'm just worried because it seems all these scam mails are properly directed. Eg fraud nedbank mail to a nedbank enabled pc, fraud absa to a absa accessing pc, fraud yahoo to a account with a gmail account, stuff like that ect.

Just curious as to why I never receive a "your capitec password has expired" or "Microsoft user id change". The stuff are always spot on and makes me wonder if there isnt a communications link somewhere that allows someone to see what your viewing ect.
My Steam Screenshots

thEnaileDonE

Post by thEnaileDonE »

StarBound wrote:I'm just worried because it seems all these scam mails are properly directed. Eg fraud nedbank mail to a nedbank enabled pc, fraud absa to a absa accessing pc, fraud yahoo to a account with a gmail account, stuff like that ect.

Just curious as to why I never receive a "your capitec password has expired" or "Microsoft user id change". The stuff are always spot on and makes me wonder if there isnt a communications link somewhere that allows someone to see what your viewing ect.
... you mean like Google AdSense...
If you are at your Wits End...
Severed Fifth - Changing the way the music industry works, one song at a time!
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I get Nedbank, FNB and STB emails daily - sometimes 3 a day from each - and I do not bank with them. The reply email actually goes to the correct email addy that is advertised on the site - and the link to the site is genuine. There is a Keylogger encoded though to trap account details and passwords.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Google can link to yahoo. i have used it recently to download my delicious bookmarks to google bookmarks in case delicious goes offline...
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
Prime

Post by Prime »

If you give us your banking details, we'll make sure your money is safe and secure :D
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Install Peer block
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I'd actually prefer a program that shows me not just an IP address but the entire routing from where the e-mail originated. But google ads thing is somewhat of a pain. It gets loaded before other vids from the internet and when it doesnt load you dont get access to the rest of the content you asked for. Eg tomshardware charts loads after ads, gametrailer vids after ads, ect.
My Steam Screenshots