StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Unauthorised access to Gmail account

Post by StarPhoenix »

Google has reported unauthorised access to my mother's gmail account twice within the past week.
Her account has purportedly been accessed from oval.co.za using an IP address beginning with the number 41.

I changed her gmail password for her last Sunday only to see this message pop up again today when she logged in.

I have run Super Antispyware and NOD 32 hoping to catch some nasties, but have only come up with a host of Adware Cookies.

I am going to change her password for her again, but this does not seem to be any guarantee that someone will not go nosing around
in her account again.

How do I bprevent this from happening again?
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Unauthorised access to Gmail account

Post by Tribble »

Is there any physical indication that someone has accessed the account? Like sent emails that your mom did not send? This could actually be a spy or hoax email that records you changing the password and then gives them access. Delete the email - run your antispy programs and then go in on the usual link and change the password. Can't hurt to be careful.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Enable the two-step verification. That essentially only allows authorized devices access to your account, which you need to authorize yourself, obviously.

I haven't enabled this myself, but I read about it after it's release and also heart some chatter about it on a podcast I listened to earlier today.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Thank you for the advice. Where do you find these podcasts?

/Edit. Google says that the two step process isn't available yet
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

I have no idea as to what manner of technical wizardry Google uses. Maybe it spots that you are not logging in via your usual computer and notifies you
that someone is trying to log on from somewhere else?

What are these sessions that I need to log out of?

It gives a table with a list of IP addresses all starting with "41"

I changed the password, then made a mistake while typing it in, forgot what I had typpen in and had to reset it again. :oops:
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I'd also suggest changing the recover password question if there is one.
A lot of people you think is "friendly" that knows your pets names or where you were born or maiden names (you catch my drift)... will change your password just for the heck of it.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Google does not do that. I often log in from strange sites and it never lets me know
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

when two step verification comes into play gmail will be so tank. will need to be decoded on my android device. :P

another great reason to dump other webmail clients and for websites to use google account to verify users.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Funny enough, yesterday I got a sms from google with a verification code.

Quickly log into my recovery mail address and there is a mail from google with a link for me to confirm to change my password.
Deleted, and logged into gmail.

If you look right at the bottom of the page, there is a place where you can click and it will show you the last 10 IP's that had been used to log into the account. Check for irregularities.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

-Prometheus- wrote: I wish I can disable it, it's the most unsecure thing I've seen.
So be creative no one said you should use the actual things
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

or use a password manager.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU