English Spam Thread and General Rubbish

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: English Spam Thread and General Rubbish

Post by Tribble »

D3PART3D wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 08:37 Way to talk me off of the ledge guys :lol:

The Blue Lurker lives in real-life Middle-earth now. *envy* I wonder if Audible has The Silmarillion, it would make all this housework a little more tolerable.
You were on a ledge ? What was the view like ?

That is the one book I have not been able to read to completion. That and Game of Thrones. Much too heavy and too many details for my poor brain.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Tribble wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 08:47You were on a ledge ? What was the view like ?
White shores... and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise.
Tribble wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 08:47That is the one book I have not been able to read to completion. That and Game of Thrones. Much too heavy and too many details for my poor brain.
Same, but I picked it up again recently and I'm finding it more digestible this time around. Maybe reading tens of thousands of reddit posts did actually improve my comprehension skills, lol. Or maybe it's because I'm pacing myself.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

D3PART3D wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 08:37 The Blue Lurker lives in real-life Middle-earth now. *envy*
I suppose this doesn't help much, but this quarry that's around 4 km from home... it was used for the Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith sets. It's an active quarry again (was disused at the time of filming), so the SH 2/SH 58 interchange is the closest one can get to it.

Wellington was the hub for much of the production. The first scene shot (Frodo's "get off the road" scene) was on the slopes of Mount Victoria, on the outskirts of the CBD. Bree was filmed at Fort Dorset in the suburb of Seatoun, Harcourt Park (on the Hutt River just upstream from the Upper Hutt CBD) was the Gardens of Isengard, Rivendell was further upstream, at Kaitoke Regional Park (check the Photography thread for a photo I took there), and the Hutt River itself was used for some of the River Anduin shots. And then, Weta Digital is in Miramar, pretty much down the road from the airport (Peter Jackson himself lives in the area). There's several other filming sites in the area, those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head -- though, I do have a filming location guidebook somewhere around the house.

It gives an entirely different perspective to the films, visiting some of the filming sites.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

The Blue Lurker lives in real-life Middle-earth now. *envy* I wonder if Audible has The Silmarillion, it would make all this housework a little more tolerable.
With a frilly French maid's outfit and a fluffy feather duster?
I'll pay you to clean out flat if you wear that outfit... :P
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Tribble wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:56
Ron2K wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:54
Tribble wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 10:50 :mrgreen: Go gettim !!!
Only managed to get a "lol" out of him. I tried... :P
Tell him I say he needs to pop in and say hi at least once.
Update: the Lurker's Minion claims that he will pop in this evening. :P
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ron2K wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:13
Tribble wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:56
Ron2K wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 20:54
Tribble wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 10:50 :mrgreen: Go gettim !!!
Only managed to get a "lol" out of him. I tried... :P
Tell him I say he needs to pop in and say hi at least once.
Update: the Lurker's Minion claims that he will pop in this evening. :P
I knew you could do it <3 :mrgreen:
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Tribble wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:15 I knew you could do it <3 :mrgreen:
Took a bit of skill and difficulty. Unfortunately, my usual method ("I'm going to fly back and make sure that the Steers in your area won't serve you any more!") doesn't work right now... well, not until flights resume anyway.

(Off-topic, but pre-lockdown, there were two viable flight options. Not sure what will be resumed post-lockdown though...)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ron2K wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:21
Tribble wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:15 I knew you could do it <3 :mrgreen:
Took a bit of skill and difficulty. Unfortunately, my usual method ("I'm going to fly back and make sure that the Steers in your area won't serve you any more!") doesn't work right now... well, not until flights resume anyway.

(Off-topic, but pre-lockdown, there were two viable flight options. Not sure what will be resumed post-lockdown though...)
I could always have a word with them when I go there for work :twisted:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ron2K wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 09:18I suppose this doesn't help much, but this quarry that's around 4 km from home... it was used for the Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith sets. It's an active quarry again (was disused at the time of filming), so the SH 2/SH 58 interchange is the closest one can get to it.

Wellington was the hub for much of the production. The first scene shot (Frodo's "get off the road" scene) was on the slopes of Mount Victoria, on the outskirts of the CBD. Bree was filmed at Fort Dorset in the suburb of Seatoun, Harcourt Park (on the Hutt River just upstream from the Upper Hutt CBD) was the Gardens of Isengard, Rivendell was further upstream, at Kaitoke Regional Park (check the Photography thread for a photo I took there), and the Hutt River itself was used for some of the River Anduin shots. And then, Weta Digital is in Miramar, pretty much down the road from the airport (Peter Jackson himself lives in the area). There's several other filming sites in the area, those are just the ones I know of off the top of my head -- though, I do have a filming location guidebook somewhere around the house.

It gives an entirely different perspective to the films, visiting some of the filming sites.
Woooow that's awesome! Added to the list of places I need to visit before I die. It must be really magical.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

KatrynKat wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 09:50

With a frilly French maid's outfit and a fluffy feather duster?
I'll pay you to clean out flat if you wear that outfit... :P
Anything for you, KK :lol: How have you been?

- Elon Musk
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

D3PART3D wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:44 Anything for you, KK :lol: How have you been?
Awwweee... Suzie (aka dishwasher) will be very grateful... she has been working too much during this lockdown... we usually eat FitChef for supper so it's just a fork or spoon that needs to be cleaned but had to make adjustments and start cooking supper again... and we only use a few mugs and glasses during the week... but now it seems as if the dishes are multiplying faster than the virus...\

Going ok... survived the last few years so will survive the next...
Need to venture out and get food tomorrow... tired of noodles, need meat.

How you doing?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

D3PART3D wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:42
Ron2K wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 09:18I suppose this doesn't help much, but this quarry that's around 4 km from home... it was used for the Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith sets. It's an active quarry again (was disused at the time of filming), so the SH 2/SH 58 interchange is the closest one can get to it.

Woooow that's awesome! Added to the list of places I need to visit before I die. It must be really magical.
Give me a shout if you ever do make the trip... Wellington is full of interesting pubs and burger joints that I feel obliged to take any PCF member to.

The most eclectic (that I've discovered thus far) has to be The Honey Badger Saloon on Featherston Street (which I frequent fairly regularly, as Amy works around the corner from it). Let's just say that it has "The Wall of Badass Motherfuckers" which only contains a picture of Samuel L. Jackson, and the beer fridge has a sign above it proudly proclaiming "The Goodies". 'Nuff said.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Ron2K wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:53Give me a shout if you ever do make the trip... Wellington is full of interesting pubs and burger joints that I feel obliged to take any PCF member to.

The most eclectic (that I've discovered thus far) has to be The Honey Badger Saloon on Featherston Street (which I frequent fairly regularly, as Amy works around the corner from it). Let's just say that it has "The Wall of Badass Motherfuckers" which only contains a picture of Samuel L. Jackson, and the beer fridge has a sign above it proudly proclaiming "The Goodies". 'Nuff said.
'Nuff said indeed. :D Thanks Ron, I would love that.

- Elon Musk
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

KatrynKat wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:53
D3PART3D wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:44 Anything for you, KK :lol: How have you been?
Awwweee... Suzie (aka dishwasher) will be very grateful... she has been working too much during this lockdown... we usually eat FitChef for supper so it's just a fork or spoon that needs to be cleaned but had to make adjustments and start cooking supper again... and we only use a few mugs and glasses during the week... but now it seems as if the dishes are multiplying faster than the virus...\

How you doing?
FitChef, very interesting. I've always wanted to try a service like that, how has it been working out for you? Do you like the food?

Our domestic worker doesn't stay with us so I have to do it all :cry: I am very much enjoying cooking for myself for a change though. Just finished kneading pizza dough for tonight :D

- Elon Musk
Prime

Post by Prime »

Tribble wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 08:21
Prime wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 23:47 As in :lurk:
Well he is The Blue Lurker's friend - he learnt from the best
Touché
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

D3PART3D wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:08
KatrynKat wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:53

How you doing?
FitChef, very interesting. I've always wanted to try a service like that, how has it been working out for you? Do you like the food?

Our domestic worker doesn't stay with us so I have to do it all :cry: I am very much enjoying cooking for myself for a change though. Just finished kneading pizza dough for tonight :D
Am also wondering about the FitChef stuff. Have seen it on occasion and very nearly bought those 21-day keto packs for myself and the wife to try out, but it's expensive, so I decided against it.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I looked at FitChef but with 5 and sometimes 6 people in the house - it becomes hellishly expensive. And I may not be a great cook - but I can. So I do. Kids take a night cooking each - even boyfriend helps. There is only one in the house that doesn't. :lol:
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

The FitChef works wonders for 1/2 people. Yes they are expensive but we save some money as most take-aways are about the same price or more expensive than a FitChef meal... They are tasty, some of them, you just have to find the right ones and on some nights RRF and I eat different meals depending on what we are lus for. This not cooking supper means that there are less arguments about what we are eating that night and do we have to go to the shops, those kind of things. Also, dishes are less during the week and when we cook normally on the weekend, we tend to like cooking again. It is also soooo much quicker and in 10mins both's dishes are warmed up and ready to eat. It helps when you are tired after work and don't have the energy to cook (we're at work between 5h30 and 6h00 until after 15h30) and thus we also don't waste food and money in the sense that although you have planned to cook that evening and then you're not lus anymore after work so you get takeaways and then the other food sometimes goes to waste.

Anyway... we only get a few at a time and although I have had some deliveries we tend to buy from Dischem... will be getting more tomorrow and eating their Babotie tonight...
Prime

Post by Prime »

My gripe with Fitchef was the whole eat clean thing. It's instilling the rubbish and pervasive nothing that our food is somehow dirty or bad.

My friends think I'm just being difficult but I drew a line in the sand a few years ago and decided that anything that plastered itself in misleading advertising like: "Clean Eating", "non-gmo" or organic is encouraging scientific illiteracy and won't get money from me.

Half the bloody time, there isn't even a GMO variant of whatever ingredient they're using. That's the one that makes me most angry. :evil:

Anyway, as for meals, I tend to make a big pot of whatever, and freeze the leftovers. Then I'll raid them over several weeks.

Asian food and pasta work particularly well as reheats. But also made up a bag of Prego steaks (I'm making my own sauce. Can't find it in Australia), pre marinaded chicken breasts, frozen fish.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yeah I just looked at their site again, and I can't justify what they're asking for food.
Will give it a skip, again. I've been managing my diet pretty decently, except for the Honeymoon/vacation period and this lockdown (some things like a box of diddle daddles survived the wedding and honeymoon and as we know the best way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it, and all that). I'm about 10kg from where I want to be.
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

*lurks*
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
freeloader

Post by freeloader »

Tribble wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 08:56 I still have messages that Freeloader and some others haven't received because they never logged on again lol
Just saw that. My inbox was full apparently.
Q9400, 4GB DDR3-1333, 585W PSU, Antec SLK3000B, DP455G, 8800 GT
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

freeloader wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 20:31*lurks*
:slap:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

My wife is a chef and all these food posts by you scavenging troglodytes are absolutely hilarious :lol:
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

How many of you are working from home?

I am reading through advertisements on SA-Tenders.co.za
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot