So it's been a LONG time. How have your lives changed?

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: So it's been a LONG time. How have your lives changed?

Post by KALSTER »

KALSTER wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:02
Stuart wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 20:25
KALSTER wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 18:09 Still an atheist, but much less of an anti-religious zealot. :D I do get upset when people blindly follow people like Trump though....
Oi, don't automatically tie religion to Trump fanboism! Trust me, there are a whole lot of us non-atheists who really dislike the man.
Good on you! It is just a strong trend that is difficult to dismiss.

Sorry about your parents as well. :(
One of my Battlefield clan mates was an American Kid named Jordan Marsh. His parents are involved in a church and also regularly do missionary work. He is a Trump supporter and believer, but at the same time the most well adjusted, pleasant and well liked among his gaming peers kids you'll ever meet. So there's that. :D
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

Things that changed: I quit my IT job and became a locksmith. Got married. Gained 40Kg.

Things that didnt change: Still drink and jol as if I'm 19. Still play games. Still not taking life seriously.
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:02
Good on you! It is just a strong trend that is difficult to dismiss.
Yeah, I really struggle with Christians who love Trump. There seems little to commend his character from a Christian perspective.

But maybe that's a discussion for another thread.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:11 One of my Battlefield clan mates was an American Kid named Jordan Marsh. His parents are involved in a church and also regularly do missionary work. He is a Trump supporter and believer, but at the same time the most well adjusted, pleasant and well liked among his gaming peers kids you'll ever meet. So there's that. :D
Yeah, there's a certain stream of fundamentalist Christian groups who love Trump. I don't get it.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

It is wonderful to hear all your stories - and to see you posting again. Seems everyone has had some rough times.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Wow. Seems like it's been a rough few years for everyone.

But glad to hear you've all made it to the other side.

One of our forum members didn't. I believe oom Doo_much passed away a few years back.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 02:18 Wow. Seems like it's been a rough few years for everyone.

Totally self-inflicted in our case, but we both knew what we were getting ourselves in for -- and looking back now, the end result was worth it.
Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 02:18 One of our forum members didn't. I believe oom Doo_much passed away a few years back.
That's really upsetting news. I think a lot of us (myself included) would have wanted to catch up with him again.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Tribble wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:41 It is wonderful to hear all your stories - and to see you posting again. Seems everyone has had some rough times.
Life has been pretty damn good to me I must say, besides this Corona virus nonsense now. We had a trip planned for July to the Australian alps at a ski lodge, and my folks were set to join us from Cape Town, but now it looks like we won't be seeing them for quite some time, which sucks. That's about the only thing I miss from South Africa, friends and family.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 02:37
Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 02:18 Wow. Seems like it's been a rough few years for everyone.

Totally self-inflicted in our case, but we both knew what we were getting ourselves in for -- and looking back now, the end result was worth it.
Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 02:18 One of our forum members didn't. I believe oom Doo_much passed away a few years back.
That's really upsetting news. I think a lot of us (myself included) would have wanted to catch up with him again.

I seem to remember seeing messages on his Facebook. Not sure what happened to his account. :/
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 03:34
Tribble wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 22:41 It is wonderful to hear all your stories - and to see you posting again. Seems everyone has had some rough times.
Life has been pretty damn good to me I must say, besides this Corona virus nonsense now. We had a trip planned for July to the Australian alps at a ski lodge, and my folks were set to join us from Cape Town, but now it looks like we won't be seeing them for quite some time, which sucks. That's about the only thing I miss from South Africa, friends and family.
I know how you feel. I was supposed to fly out on Tuesday to see my friends and family. Had to cancel my flights. :(

Not sure when I'll get to go over now. Hope my friends and family will make it through the next few weeks safely. Worried about my folks. :(
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 05:51
I know how you feel. I was supposed to fly out on Tuesday to see my friends and family. Had to cancel my flights. :(

Not sure when I'll get to go over now. Hope my friends and family will make it through the next few weeks safely. Worried about my folks. :(
Yeah same man, my folks live happily in their golf estate bubble in Cape Town and I fear they’re downplaying this virus way too much. It’s going to have a massive effect on South Africa. I see this 21 day lockdown going on quite a lot longer.

Good news in AUS is it seems we’re starting to “flatten the curve”, but way too many people are just doing as they please. The biggest cure or at least way to slow this virus is the community and their actions.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 05:51 Not sure when I'll get to go over now. Hope my friends and family will make it through the next few weeks safely. Worried about my folks. :(
If this at all helps: I'm only a 3.5 hour flight away from you, Amy and I would both love to see you again (read: free accommodation), and if you have permanent residence in Australia, you have freedom of movement over here (thanks to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement).

I have a cousin that's close to me in Melbourne who I'm long overdue to visit: when I pop across the ditch, I will look you up. :)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

oh, that's so sad.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 03:34 the Australian alps at a ski lodge
australia has ski lodges. with, like, real snow?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

This makes me really sad. We often met for beers and played Ogame but then when this place closed down and life got busy - we only saw each other once after I think. He didn't want a digital footprint at that stage so wasn't really on anywhere else - pity I missed seeing that he had joined the digital world. He was an awesome guy. I miss him. :cry:
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Tribble wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 11:47 Well my kids are all grown up. Youngest turned 18 in Jan and is in Matric.
Bloody hell, they're growing up way too quickly. Amy and I still remember a cheeky primary school kid who took great pleasure in using the airport trolleys at Lanseria to "park in" a Smart car. (2014, I think that was?)

Can only imagine what would have happened had he encountered Stuart's Prius... :lol:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ron2K wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 09:19
Tribble wrote: 28 Mar 2020, 11:47 Well my kids are all grown up. Youngest turned 18 in Jan and is in Matric.
Bloody hell, they're growing up way too quickly. Amy and I still remember a cheeky primary school kid who took great pleasure in using the airport trolleys at Lanseria to "park in" a Smart car. (2014, I think that was?)

Can only imagine what would have happened had he encountered Stuart's Prius... :lol:
He still feels exactly the same about smart cars :lol: :lol: :lol: I had forgotten that incident - thanks for the reminder :lol:
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Can I pull the plug on 2020? It started horrendously and so far there has been zero upside, it needs a hard reboot... <_<
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 07:21
Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 05:51 Not sure when I'll get to go over now. Hope my friends and family will make it through the next few weeks safely. Worried about my folks. :(
If this at all helps: I'm only a 3.5 hour flight away from you, Amy and I would both love to see you again (read: free accommodation), and if you have permanent residence in Australia, you have freedom of movement over here (thanks to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement).

I have a cousin that's close to me in Melbourne who I'm long overdue to visit: when I pop across the ditch, I will look you up. :)
Yeah, I'm keen to visit. Will have to see how my leave works out since some of it is meant for a visit to SA.

You're there, my god mother is there, and one of my varsity mates is now there. So will definitely have a busy visit 🙈🤣
Prime

Post by Prime »

Anakha56 wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 10:17
Can I pull the plug on 2020? It started horrendously and so far there has been zero upside, it needs a hard reboot... <_<
You just want a second birthday :lol:
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 06:12
Prime wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 05:51

Yeah same man, my folks live happily in their golf estate bubble in Cape Town and I fear they’re downplaying this virus way too much. It’s going to have a massive effect on South Africa. I see this 21 day lockdown going on quite a lot longer.

Good news in AUS is it seems we’re starting to “flatten the curve”, but way too many people are just doing as they please. The biggest cure or at least way to slow this virus is the community and their actions.

It doesn't help that we are getting such mixed messages. I was under the impression we'd be closing all the nonessential places but loads of stores and cafes are doing a roaring business and far to many people out.

At least Bunnings has got isle management going. But I fear that people will still do as they like.

My folks are staying home and taking it seriously. My sister will bring them groceries. My mom might have to go check in on her boss since she's effectively his PA and he's become very frail but truthfully, he has three daughters and they should be doing it.

They're paying their domestic staff to stay home so that they don't get exposed unnecessarily either.

But still...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 07:48
Loads. We were also pretty surprised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Alps

We were going to Dinner Plain, Victoria.

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

oooooo ... nice
Prime

Post by Prime »

ryanrich wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 11:07
Stuart wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 07:48
Loads. We were also pretty surprised.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Alps

We were going to Dinner Plain, Victoria.

Ain't much left of Dinner plain after the fires, but I guess the snow will hide that. 😋😂
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I stopped playing games. Started making beer. Got married 5th of March. Everything else is still pretty much the same.

Welcome back everyone and thanks Ron for your effort. :D