Well this is all very inconvenient.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Well this is all very inconvenient.

Post by StarPhoenix »

Well this is all very inconvenient!
I was stopped by two thugs on my way home , who insisted that I hand over my cellphone and empty out my pockets for them.
Naturally, I obliged. Thankfully, they were not at all interested in my debit card, but helped themselves to the contents of the bank bag containing the change from Beatty House Grocery money [R14]. They also took the R10 note and handful of coins I had in my wallet before continuing up the road in search of new prey. I shall be going out with my brother to have my number blacklisted, and of course borrowing money from my family to replace the Beatty House Grocery change.

I guess I am going to have to pay people to give me lifts to work and back in future as well as to Vincent Park when I am on grocery duty, paranoid as it may sound....

Like my mother, I am a prisoner in my own home. A pity. I do so love going for walks.

The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance

:roll:
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Re: Well this is all very inconvenient.

Post by Nuke »

Sorry to hear man.

Since the 7th the crime in our area also shot up. Every day someone in robbed, attacked or killed, some days even 3 incidents. It was very quite before that.

Guess everyone should invest in a weapon, and practice using it. Even a knife in a committed persons hands is worth gold. But yeah, I think its time to upgrade to a gun soon, I have been putting it off for way to long, but its such a shlep.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Inconvenient? Interesting word choice that.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Nuke wrote:S
Guess everyone should invest in a weapon, and practice using it. Even a knife in a committed persons hands is worth gold. But yeah, I think its time to upgrade to a gun soon, I have been putting it off for way to long, but its such a shlep.
I'm afraid I disagree with you on multiple levels.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Elaborate please?
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Nuke wrote:Guess everyone should invest in a weapon, and practice using it. Even a knife in a committed persons hands is worth gold. But yeah, I think its time to upgrade to a gun soon, I have been putting it off for way to long, but its such a shlep.
Are you willing to kill someone?
Are you willing to train many many hours a week with your knife / gun in order to become proficient enough to be able to hit an adrenaline (and possibly drug) fuelled enemy in a place that will drop them, not just enrage them more??

And a gun is only useful if the person you want to shoot is further than 6 meters away when you start unholstering your gun, or already has your gun pointed at them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill
http://www.your-krav-maga-expert.com/gun-vs-knife.html
http://chicagowarrior.blogspot.com/2013 ... -foot.html

The best thing to do in any situation like Star's is to be meek, compliant and non threatening. Follow instructions. Do not confront, or try intimidate them.
Losing your wallet, jewellery and phone is a much better out come to losing your life.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Monty wrote:Are you willing to kill someone?
Yes. The moment he attacks me he has already forfeit his right to life. He will also not be able to hurt anyone afterwards.
Monty wrote:Are you willing to train many many hours a week with your knife / gun in order to become proficient enough to be able to hit an adrenaline (and possibly drug) fuelled enemy in a place that will drop them, not just enrage them more??
Yes training is important, but many, many hours a week is not needed. A few hours a month is all that is needed. You are not training for a SWAT team. Plus, target shooting and run-and-gun is fun. Why not spend time on it. I would really like to do it more often.
More importantly, you need to be in good physical shape.
Monty wrote:And a gun is only useful if the person you want to shoot is further than 6 meters away when you start unholstering your gun, or already has your gun pointed at them.
That is why I prefer a knife, but even that is just a backup. Most likely I will not even have time to draw it if something happens. The most important thing is intent, you are the weapon. A gun/knife/stick is just a tool. But having a gun gives me some more options, and I like options. Btw when I talk about a knife, I talk about something like a Tai-Pan or my Magnum Tanto XII
Monty wrote:The best thing to do in any situation like Star's is to be meek, compliant and non threatening. Follow instructions. Do not confront, or try intimidate them.
Losing your wallet, jewellery and phone is a much better out come to losing your life.
Sorry, that is a victim's attitude. I have a problem with meekness. I also have a problem with following instructions, especially from someone that doesn't deserve giving it.. Its not that I really care that much about my wallet/phone.
Yes, most likely someone is going to loose his life. I fully intent it not to be me.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Thanks peoples.

:hug:

My brother is coming to fetch me to take me to work tomorrow morning. :-)

The people who look after us at Beatty House will make arrangements for me to get lifts to and from work.

Still need to sort out the sim-swip thing.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Glad you came right SP. My one and only sim swop experience with Vodacom was quite painless.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

I'm really glad you're OK Star!
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Sorry to hear about your experience SP.

Some bad news: you will now be more paranoid than before. I would recommend going for some counseling.

Some good news: it will get better if you stay strong.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

+1 on the counselling. And no, not the Jedi kind, the kind that actually helps.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

GreyWolf wrote:Sorry to hear about your experience SP.

Some bad news: you will now be more paranoid than before. I would recommend going for some counseling.

Some good news: it will get better if you stay strong.
Tell me about it! I found myself turning around to see who was following me several times inside a busy shopping centre! :oops:

There has been some anxiety too, but that may be attributable to other sources [work, finances, study-induced unpleasant memories].

Was in a bit of a trance last night, but there again, that can happen at work too. :lol: :oops: :shock:

Beatty House has a psychiatric nurse attached to it, so that should be easily accessible. She comes in on every weekday but Tuesday [as far as I know], and is only an SMS away.

On the plus side, I walked home [using a busier route] yesterday. :-D
Got the sim-swap out of the way too. Nokia 1208 is a fresh air. Responsive, starts up quickly, sips power, refreshing in its simplicity.
[Yay me!]
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Well done!. The mere fact that you walked back again is probably the best counseling you could ever get.
And using a busier route is an extremely prudent thing to do.

:thumbup:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

:thumbup:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

"inconvenient"==captain understatement :|

shocker story but good to know we're on the road to recovery :)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Glad you're ok SP
Hmm I think one needs some cash coted in a skin absorbent toxin in one's wallet for people taking things from there that doesn't belong to them
Last edited by CapNemo on 21 May 2014, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

rustypup wrote:"inconvenient"==captain understatement :|
Levity

Given that I have been encouraged to keep on walking [while being more selective about routes], have not had to
submit myself to trauma counselling, and was not manhandled or killed [in which case I would be writing this as
UndeadPhoenix], I would say that losing an LG Optimus L5 with which I was becoming dissatisfied, and around R30
is an inconvenience. ;-)