banking

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tiza

banking

Post by Tiza »

Hey all

I need a credit card ASAP cause I need to buy some good online, I have currently been checking out ABSA and Nedbank as they both have legit student credit cards. I was wondering if you guys have any advise currently at Standard bank not bad service but they don't really have credit card options. I also checked out virgin money and they also seem pretty good. FNB is a no go!!! Any advice

THX
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: banking

Post by KALSTER »

You can get a Debit Mastercard from places like Capitec with their Global One card. I have that one and have been buying from all over the place, including using PayPal. If you go that route, just make sure to specifically ask them to enable online purchases for your card. Very low monthly costs as well.

With the debit card you don't have to worry about spending what you can't really afford.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

It took me a while to get a credit card. I was too clean when it came to debt. First I had to open an account from something like CNA/WW/ect. Then after 3 months only then I got to apply for a credit card. Now I am earning interest on my credit card and they won't stop bugging me to increase my limit.

Anyway, ASAP takes a while. You need a credit record and a positive one.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I get about 5% on the Global One card, I think.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I use an FNB Silver Cheque account. Costs R79 per month, with unlimited online banking and 5 free ATM withdrawals (From FNB ATMs), plus unlimited swipes at checkout counters.

At the same time, I can use it to buy things online and even top-up my PayPal.

Best part (for me) ? No money in the account = no sale. Which means I can't get myself into debt.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Yeah I am a student and only work part time so I need the cheapest option. Nedbank and Absa both have a student credit cards that is about R5 a month so that is really cheap.

Capitec seems like a great option, with theie debit card can I buy anything online like a normal credit card? Mainly Amazon, Steam etc ?

Thx
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Yep, you can use it everywhere. It's the Mastercard bit that makes the difference.
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Thx heading to Capitec today, is it possible to get proof of residence from a bank you are currently at like Standard Bank ?
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

As far as I know proof of residence these days are utility bills only. They have over complicated the process to the point where only the criminal element will find it easy to do anything.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:As far as I know proof of residence these days are utility bills only. They have over complicated the process to the point where only the criminal element will find it easy to do anything.
No, there is a list of things that constitute proof of residence. If you have a statement from your present bank it should work. You can give other things like cell phone bills, etc. too. It does have to be quite recent, but it doesn't have to be a utility bill. I would think it would be hard for a student or renter to provide a utility bill in their name.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Usually use my Telkom bill. I RICA with anything.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

A student usually needs a parent to declare that they are indeed staying in their home.
My Steam Screenshots

Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Yeah finally got my Card and created an Itunes account. Capitec seems legit except fica is a nightmare and they take your picture and fingerprints for security, which is pretty cool but also not ideal. Is it even legal ?

Gona start online shopping today guys have any sites to recommend, been checking out Kalahari and they seem pretty good but also looking for other sites that might have great specials.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tiza wrote:Gona start online shopping today guys have any sites to recommend, been checking out Kalahari and they seem pretty good but also looking for other sites that might have great specials.
Takealot.com over Kalahari any day of the week!
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I've ordered from Kalahari once but I will stick with Takealot although they are moving into the wide audience range. Kinda worried they loose what made them so epic.
My Steam Screenshots

petrivanzyl

Post by petrivanzyl »

"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure"
(Intel i5-3570K; ASRock Z77 Extreme 6; GSkill Ares DDR3-1600 16GB; Gigabyte 670 GTX OC Edition; OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD; 2TB & 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDDs; CM 690 II Advanced USB 3.0; LG E2770 27" LED)
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Hey team

I am in need of advice once again, I am currently at Capitec and satisfied but I also want to open an account at one of the big for security/safety reasons (They can't really fail).

Absa is out but the other 3 all seem like a good bet except for FNB had a bad experience with them in the past and Steve really irritates me. I am starting a new job soon and I am probably going to apply for a home loan in a few years. I am also interested in buying stocks online. Currently Standard Bank seems like a good option I was hoping you guys could give me some advice, considering bank fees etc.

Thx
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Switched from ABSA to FNB 2 or 3 years ago and have never had issues. They have the best deals, personalised interest rates and rewards. My Platinum card also allows me free entry to the SLOW lounges at airports which is pretty useful. :P
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Tiza wrote:Currently Standard Bank seems like a good option I was hoping you guys could give me some advice, considering bank fees etc.
Have been with SB for 7 years. No problems. Great service. My debit card got cloned once and 20K was taken from my account. I had it back from SB in 2 days.
ryanrich wrote:FNB have the best deals, personalised interest rates and rewards. My Platinum card also allows me free entry to the SLOW lounges at airports which is pretty useful. :P
Also this. Just don't belive the BS that you will not need to go into a branch to apply for an account.

I would go for either of these. Just get comparative quotes.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

While I don't like FNB at all, the SLOW lounges are absolutely amazing!!!

Full disclosure: I work for the corporate overlords that own the SLOW lounges.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,