Weather Watch

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Weather Watch

Post by KatrynKat »

With the latest “mix-up” in the weather and the numerous questions that have been asked, I have therefore decided to start a weather thread. Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them in good time and to the best of my ability.

(If you are piloting a plane or a boat, please consult with the SAWS or your nearest regional office… I am not at liberty to give forecasts for high risk activities…)

As you have been noticing, there has been a lot more rain than usual is areas that are dominated by summer rainfalls, while the south western parts of South Africa (winter rainfall areas) are dominated by drier weather.
What’s to follow is a short explanation about the reasons behind these phenomenons and I will try to keep it as simple as possible without leaving out too much detail.

There is a band of clouds over the equator known as the Inter-Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ). This is a relatively narrow and mostly zonal synoptic scale zone of low pressures where wind discontinuity is encountered and where into the surface winds in the tropics converge. Thus the trade winds from the north and south come together and cause strong convective activity to occur. The ITCZ is not stationary and migrates with the seasons, being located more south during southern hemisphere (SH) summers and more north during SH winters. Now with this migration, it also pushes other systems further south or north. The Congo Air Boundary (CAB) is one such system and which is causing the increase in rainfall.

Figure 1 1200 UTC 24 January 2011

There is a strong high pressure cell (Figure 1) located over the interior of Southern Africa that together with the CAB is bringing tropical air from the tropics down to SA. This together with the warm, moist air from the Indian Ocean is mixing and causing a lot of convective systems (thunderstorms) to be formed.
The world is also experiencing La Nina at the moment which means that Southern Africa will have wetter than normal conditions.

Figure 2 0600 UTC 24 January 2011

Figure 3 1200 UTC 24 January 2011

Figures 2 and 3 are satellite photos taken 6 hours apart and are just showing the cloud layers. The light blue clouds are ice crystals and are therefore high clouds and do not produce significant precipitation. The white clouds are water droplets and are therefore low or middle clouds and it is these clouds that produce precipitation. And of course, you can see the dry conditions that the south western areas are experiencing. Blue clouds on top of white clouds are an indication of thunderstorms that have developed to great heights.
Unfortunately for some these wet conditions are here to stay till end of February beginning of March.
lancelot

Re: Weather Watch

Post by lancelot »

I read in the weekend paper that a rain prediction has been made for the Western Cape this winter. They are saying that we will only get two thirds of our normal winter rainfall. :cry:
Do you know what they are basing this on?
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

lancelot wrote:I read in the weekend paper that a rain prediction has been made for the Western Cape this winter. They are saying that we will only get two thirds of our normal winter rainfall. :cry:
Do you know what they are basing this on?
i have not heard about this but will try to find out for you.
i can say that rain has been forecasted for Cape Town this weekend..... albeit only a little....
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Thanks KK, it was made, the prediction that is, by Cape Town International weather office.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

So this isn't global warming?

I'm Derek Van Dam
That was your weather
Have a good one ;)
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

some say that it is a side affect of global warming but the dominant factor is the La Nina and the tropical air....

i haven't met Derek.... tho would luv too.... :love1:
but i have met Candice McKechnie and seen how the weather office at etv operate... :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

/rant

Global Warming. Oh heck.

Why does everyone seem to forget that we've had this kind of extreme weather before?
Most of you are too young (except maybe Lance and Gee) to remember the floods of 1974? The same year Brisbane got flooded and the Americans had their 'super tornados'.

The IPCC is busy milking extreme natural occurrences for financial gain. And our government is squarely ON that bandwagon with taxation. :?

/end rant
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I agree with that^^
jee

Post by jee »

Sweetpea.. what is going to happen in Stanger this week?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

global warming/climate change is one debate that i don't and will not get into. my reckoning is that it is happening but there are thousands of other scientists working on it, why must i... why can't i be different and study something that interests me more and that i can hopefully help the people of SA in 2/3 years time... not 50.

many people blame climate change/global warming for many of the latest disasters that have occurred but like Doo said, they fail to realise that the earth has been and still will go through these cycles with or without CC.... CC maybe only enhances the occurrences...

i never really learnt about CC in class as they changed the contents of our one subject to CC the year after i did the subject... i'm busy reading a book about climate change as this knowledge is expected to be known by an agrometeorologist.....
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Thanks KK, very interesting stuff! I agree global warming is taking place, but it would be foolish to blame this rain on it exclusively. We do have a global warming thread though for such discussions.

How are La Nina and the solar cycles lining up at the moment? When will La Nina wind down?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

KALSTER wrote:When will La Nina wind down?
Experts figure it will last another 4 months or so.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

@KALSTER
I watched a program the other day on solar flares, they are predicting a major solar flare some time next year due to the sun's solar maxima, so only time will tell, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen.....just a little extra info :D
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Wiz: Do you remember the name of the program?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

KALSTER wrote:Wiz: Do you remember the name of the program?
Yeah I do earth investigated, was on discovery world :wink:
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

I too won't get caught up in the global warming debate but lets be honest, there is nothing wrong with being reducing our carbon emissions etc.

PS. I am neither for or against the theory of global warming. We have not been on this Earth long enough to have enough information but its better to reduce our carbon emissions and improve the quality of the air if just for the lungs of the future generations.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KillerByte wrote:I too won't get caught up in the global warming debate but lets be honest, there is nothing wrong with being reducing our carbon emissions etc.

PS. I am neither for or against the theory of global warming. We have not been on this Earth long enough to have enough information but its better to reduce our carbon emissions and improve the quality of the air if just for the lungs of the future generations.
I am left (nearly) speechless at the fail in what you stated there. I'm assuming that with 'carbon emmisions' you mean CO2? Horrible is it?

Ever wondered how much of the stuff us humans are emitting as opposed to natural phenomena e.g. volcanos?
The only problem I have with fossil fuels is that it is finite - in the near future.

We are throwing resources down the drain chasing a ghost. If all the money from 'carbon taxes' was ring-fenced into studies into clean power I'd be all for it. But instead it's being spent on carp.

Anthropogenic climate change is a load of bollocks. And Global Warming even more so...

/OT

I have a copy of 'An Inconvenient Truth' for anyone out there that wants it - R50 and postage and it's yours. And a bridge to sell as well - make me an offer.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

/going off the topic for a short CO2 post...

http://preventdisease.com/news/10/07111 ... _co2.shtml
More Evidence CO2 is Not The Problem: Termites Emit Ten Times More CO2 Than Humans
Not only is carbon dioxide's total greenhouse effect puny, mankind's contribution to it is minuscule. The overwhelming majority (97%) of carbon dioxide in the earth's atmosphere comes from nature, not from man. Volcanoes, swamps, rice paddies, fallen leaves, and even insects and bacteria produce carbon dioxide, as well as methane. According to the journal Science (Nov. 5, 1982), termites alone emit ten times more carbon dioxide than all the factories and automobiles in the world. Natural wetlands emit more greenhouse gases than all human activities combined. (If greenhouse warming is such a problem, why are we trying to save all the wetlands?) Geothermal activity in Yellowstone National Park emits ten times the carbon dioxide of a midsized coal-burning power plant, and volcanoes emit hundreds of times more. In fact, our atmosphere's composition is primarily the result of volcanic activity. There are about 100 active volcanoes today, mostly in remote locations, and we're living in a period of relatively low volcanic activity. There have been times when volcanic activity was ten times greater than in modern times. But by far the largest source of carbon dioxide emissions is the equatorial Pacific Ocean. It produces 72% of the earth's emissions of carbon dioxide, and the rest of the Pacific, the Atlantic, the Indian Ocean, and the other oceans also contribute. The human contribution is overshadowed by these far larger sources of carbon dioxide. Combining the factors of water vapor and nature's production of carbon dioxide, we see that 99.8% of any greenhouse effect has nothing to do with carbon dioxide emissions from human activity. So how much effect could regulating the tiny remainder have upon world climate, even if carbon dioxide determined climate?
Has quite a long read, snipped the part I am after out ;).

/OT

Weather watching is always fun and I love how it is wrong most of the time. Since I am a avid F1 fan it is always fun to hear the news that there will be rain during the race and ... nothing. All the tech they have and they still get it wrong :lol:. Martin Brundle said during one of the races how teams employ locals to go out into the neighboring towns/hills and sit and wait, if they saw rain coming phone home and alert. Also loved how Webber and his race engineer got the jump on the other teams and by "looking out the window" and changing to the correct tires because of that :lol:.

All in all Weather Watching is awesome yet still very inaccurate but still fun to guess what happens next :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

doo_much wrote:
KillerByte wrote:I too won't get caught up in the global warming debate but lets be honest, there is nothing wrong with being reducing our carbon emissions etc.

I am left (nearly) speechless at the fail in what you stated there. I'm assuming that with 'carbon emmisions' you mean CO2? Horrible is it?

Ever wondered how much of the stuff us humans are emitting as opposed to natural phenomena e.g. volcanos?
The only problem I have with fossil fuels is that it is finite - in the near future.

We are throwing resources down the drain chasing a ghost. If all the money from 'carbon taxes' was ring-fenced into studies into clean power I'd be all for it. But instead it's being spent on carp.

Anthropogenic climate change is a load of bollocks. And Global Warming even more so...

/OT

I have a copy of 'An Inconvenient Truth' for anyone out there that wants it - R50 and postage and it's yours. And a bridge to sell as well - make me an offer.

I believe that the global warming debacle is a load of bull and considering the number of scientists that say its bull I am skeptical about it at best.

CO2 is not the problem, nature can take care of that, but its the other gases we pump into the atmosphere. I agree that there are other natural factors that influence our atmosphere but lets not bury our heads in the sand and think that we as a species do not impact the environment. We need to be more concerned about the resources we use.

Again I say that we have not been on this Earth long enough to understand what impact, if any, that we have on the environment. Global climate change is a natural phenomenon that we simply do not understand fully. Are we on the brink of another ice age? Maybe, can we predict it accurately? Probably about as accurately as we can predict the weather a month from now. Understanding the weather requires observation and then analysis. How can we predict something that we have not observed yet. We can predict when it will rain because we understand the forces at work, but predicting if something like an ice age will occur is futile.

What I am trying to say: I love nuclear power, Al Gore is a tool, hippies must shut up, I love big V12 engines but I want them to be more environmentally friendly. Oh, and global warming is still yet to be proven beyond a shadow of reasonable doubt.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

just something to note... all the predictions, whether it be for climate change/global warming, forecasts - now and in a months time (which we don't really want to do as there is a huge area for error there) but all these predictions are done by numerical models....

for CC... the scientists use the data of previous carbon emissions, latest carbon emissions, the global population increase, the increase in technology and how making all the new technology is aiding the cause.... all this data is placed into the model and it calculates the future. of course this is never 100% accurate as the model is man-made and there is much chance of human error (we blame the programmers ;) )

forecasting the weather works in a similar manner where trends in the weather, the current situation, the time of the year, the time of one of earth's many cycles and then the old familiar knowledge of the forecaster is all taken into account when typing up the forecast.... again numerical models are used and they are never 100% accurate...
still today, all forecasters working at SAWS anywhere in SA draw up the synoptic charts by hand as the computer struggles to take certain things into account... :)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Pooor KK, you can not blame a programmer for your inability to provide clear cut and accurate data models. A PC can calculate anything provided that your models are complete and take even the minutiae into account.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

:mrgreen:

only some of the older folks blame the programmers....... i luv all my programmers... ;)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

:hug:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page