The non-PCF Fail/Win Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
IcePick88

The non-PCF Fail/Win Thread

Post by IcePick88 »

In an effort to keep threads like this from popping up all over, and in an effort to keep the Official Forum Fail Thread clean, let's keep all non-forum related fails here, please. - The Rat

Ok, so I could not find a thread for retarded people that is "supposed" to know PC components!

I asked for a quote from our supplier for ANY Intel motherboard as long as it has 3 conventional PCI slots. We use two PCI cards (serial and fibre) in the machine.

The first quote I get is a motherboard that only has two PCI slots.
Second quote I get is a motherboard that only has one PCI slot.

I then tell her that initially I asked for a board with 3 PCI slots and this is her response:

"You can make it up with the other pci slots on the board".

I then ask her the explain the above comment and this is the response:

"The pci express slots".
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: You can make it up with the other PCI slots on the board

Post by KALSTER »

WOW
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:WOW
Look, not ALL WoW players are that bad. Nevertheless . . .

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

^^ Thought someone would say something like that. :)
Ok, so I could not find a thread for retarded people that is "supposed" to know PC components!
Is there a thread with stories of retarded and/or naive people? If not, would it be a good idea to rename this thread to something more generic?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Is there a thread with stories of retarded and/or naive people?
There was but powers that be locked the thread....with no apparent reason for doing so either
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

wizardofid wrote:
There was but powers that be locked the thread....with no apparent reason for doing so either
Link?
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Stuart wrote:
wizardofid wrote:
Link?
http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39180
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I guess it would be the Fail Thread for non-PCF members.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

no.... there was another one... i believe it was chock full of IC sales staff quotes...

unless my memory is playing tricks on me...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The non-PCF Fail Thread

Post by Stuart »

Either way, let's just keep it all centralised here, shall we? I can't recall the thread that rusty is thinking of, but then he's been around a good while longer than I have.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

I witnessed some true stupidity at a PC store some time back (Matrix warehouse in Alberton), so I asked for a Core 2 Duo E7500 but I wanted the ones that had Intel VT so I asked to see the part number since only those ending in "ML" support this. in a dazed and confused look she asks "so you want us to print you the cover of the box" :facepalm: so eventually I resorted to asking one of the guys in the technical department and not even they knew this. But I did eventually get the one I wanted after spending about 20 mutinies explaining.

Wow and they are supposed to help people :shock: ......
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

-Prometheus- wrote:So is this thread only pc components related?
Nope. It is like the Epic fail thread, but for non_PCF members.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KALSTER wrote:

I foresee Malema's name popping up regularly...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

What about some epic wins?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Fails are more fun to mention
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

doo_much wrote:
KALSTER wrote:

I foresee Malema's name popping up regularly...
NOOOO.

Don't want to turn this into a political thread! :lol: :lol:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DeathStrike wrote:What about some epic wins?
As you wish.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The non-PCF Fail/Win Thread

Post by Stuart »

I have to give Nashua Mobile a big fail. My wife is on a contract through NM. I vowed two years ago that I would not renew through NM again, but would move her contract directly to Vodacom at upgrade time, but when that time came in December the thought of all the administration and ensuring smooth number portability was just too much for me, so I did what I knew I ought not to have done.

Anywho, we put her on a particular contract, which is meant to have per-second billing. It turns out that per-second billing IS available on said contract, but only after 30 seconds. (That may well be industry standard, but it doesn't strike me as being exactly true per-second billing if it only kicks in after 30 seconds. Nevertheless . . .) Regardless, it turns out that her contract for some obscure reason wasn't on per second billing, so she was having a full minute knocked off her free minutes for all calls lasting part of a minute. So for a 45 second call she was being docked a minute; for a 1m23s call she was being docked two minutes, etc.

The result was that she spent her minutes and hit her call limit above that. Her phone was therefore soft locked. Soft locked in this instance (and again, this may be industry standard, I don't know) means that she can neither make calls nor send text messages, even though she still has a separate SMS bundle which has not yet expired for the month.

But what REALLY irritated me about the whole thing is that I had to call the call centre four times last night. The first three times I was disconnected. Each time I waited patiently for a call back, which never came. When I eventually got through the fourth time (ten minute wait each time) I asked the woman who answered why they don't call a customer back once a call has been dropped. She says that their system doesn't allow that. As soon as a call is disconnected it just picks up the next one. This, she says, is standard fare for call centres.

Which is absolute trash, because I have personally experienced call backs from Vodacom's call centre when calls have been dropped.

/rant
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

yeah i think my mom had similar experiences from NM a few years ago...
While trying to cancel her contract they gave her loads of trouble and excuses about not receiving the email requests and eventually almost blacklisted my mom before finally canceling the contract.

So if i were you i would get out of that contract asap. then again with the new consumer protection act you should have less trouble i hope.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Well the ANC are epic fail and Julius is also FAIL........ the other day I saw some kid riding his bike and doing all sorts of stunts, so I saw a low tree branch just ahead of him and thinking he was very clever he stood up and BAM he smacked his head straight into the tree branch which made him fall of as well.....it was epic Fail and LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

@Stuart
Well stu......Cancel the contract ! You will loose the number, but you will be able to do as you please.Also of note, if you can prove to the Consumer ombudsman, that they breach contract by not billing you as speculated by the signed agreement, you can get the contract annulled without paying a sent more, you would have to return the phone if you got a new one and pay outstanding monies that were correctly billed.

You can also request the number be moved to prepaid, period they may not refuse, there by you regain the number, which allows you to freely move to which ever SP you want and upgrade that number back to contract.
FIXED TERM CONTRACTS ACTS

The Act states that a consumer can cancel a fixed-term agreement at any time by giving 20 business days' notice in writing, and gives the supplier the right to impose a "reasonable" cancellation penalty.

The minister has now specified that no fixed-term contracts - think fitness clubs, cellphone companies, printer/fax machines suppliers and armed response companies - may exceed a period of 24 months.

And the "reasonable" cancellation penalty which a supplier will be entitled to charge "may not exceed 10 percent of the amount which would have been payable by the |consumer for the remainder of the fixed term, excluding interest, if any
I think the new acts will be in place next month or so... :)
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

My old boss called Frontosa for a PS/2 to USb adapter for the servers. They reported that they didn't sell such a thing. I knew they did and had two types available for him to buy.

Often though I hear sales people complaining that the client calls up and says' that they just want an HP laptop. They then give them any laptop and the client tells them that it's the wrong laptop after a long conversation about cost and spec and size and so on.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.