The Movie Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Molean

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Molean »

Haha, hopefully is matches the coolness and originality of the first one.

Viewed "The Wolverine" yesterday and it is rather average. A few cool action scenes, otherwise it is just more of the same not to mention there are plot holes a plenty and was quite long...you will probably enjoy it more if you are a Wolverine fan. I guess they needed a filler until the next X-men movie comes out...

6/10
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Okay, so this will probably end up being another seriously lame Expendables, but Arnie and Stallone together always raise the nostalgic geek factor a little.

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

"You hit like a vegetarian!". Haha
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Saw Man of Steel.
Kryptonian industrial design (thought the liquid metal 'screens' were a very nice touch)
Acting (everyone did a good job)

Dislikes:
Dodgy character animation during the fights. This really annoyed me.
Somehow humans can analyse advanced alien technology within hours of first experiencing it.
Hmm, these bullets seem not to be doing anything. KEEP FIRING!!!
Holy MOLEY! there was a lot of destruction in this movie! To the point where it became boring.

Mostly the really bad character animation during the fights is what bothered me and I was immediate taken out of the story. I hate it when animators don't put any acceleration/deceleration into their work. Furthermore if something moving as fast as Faora's fist hit a human torso, the person would either disintegrate or Faora's fist would have gone straight through.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Molean

Post by Molean »

Viewed Pacific Rim over the weekend aaaaand it was cool, with some of the most lush effects I have ever seen, not to mention really epic robot vs monster fight sequences...HOWEVER, I felt the movie was lacking heart...or certain human emotion. You can speech and shout as much as you want, but if you don't have some emotion or drive behind it, you are not gonna have any effect on the viewers. I also thought the lead was incorrectly chosen...he brought nothing to the character and could have basically stepped off the set of "Sons of Anarchy" just with shorter hair...I did like the asian gal though...but with that all said and done, drool drool drool at the SFX...

7/10
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

GreyWolf wrote:Dodgy character animation during the fights.
Saw it n iMax and didnt have a problem with the CG
My biggest problem was what you pointed out as an afterthought...
The destruction of a city and loss of thousands of lives.
WTF Superman, you had ONE job...
Spoiler (show)
Also I think Zod's death in a choke-hold was the most anticlimactic villains death I have ever seen.
Why a choke-hold? Why not the peoples elbow, or a tombstone pile-driver... as long as we are being ridiculous.
These beings can survive in space, but they cannot survive a 30 second choke-hold :?:
Spoiler (show)
Next to the ending of Man of Steel, Pacific Rim might was well be a National Geographic special in terms of accuracy
Richard Attenborough: "And here we observer the Kaiju in it's natural habitat, a transdimensional hole in the ocean floor..."
PR owned MoS. I'd put it right up there with Iron man 3 as movie of the year so far.

Saw the new Wolverine movie on the weekend. Nothing new here. More story that doesn't fit in with the X-Men comic lore.
The teaser trailer at the end was interesting. So was the movie itself, despite my best attempts to hate it. A much better offering than Origins - that's for sure.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Added some spoiler tags for you there big guy...

Man of Steel:
Spoiler (show)
He didn't die of a choke hold, he died from a broken neck. Didn't you see Superbru snap it during the scream?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Why would I need spoiler tags, Man of Steel premièred a month ago :troll:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

hamin_aus wrote:Saw the new Wolverine movie on the weekend. Nothing new here. More story that doesn't fit in with the X-Men comic lore.
The teaser trailer at the end was interesting. So was the movie itself, despite my best attempts to hate it. A much better offering than Origins - that's for sure.
This is good, the way people were talking it seemed I wouldn't enjoy this, but seeing as I did enjoy Origins, I'm now looking forward to seeing this again.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I really liked Pacific Rim but I'll agree with Molean that the story was nothing special. I also thought that the visuals were gob-smackingly awesome.

I saw it at one of the recently upgraded Ster Kinekor cinemas and I've been converted: with the new digital projectors 3D is amazing. It's a new level of immersion and I want to go see all sorts of movies I wouldn't usually bother with now. :D

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

D3PART3D wrote:I saw it at one of the recently upgraded Ster Kinekor cinemas
SPeaking of which, has anyone here been to the new Prestige cinemas? Is it worth it?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

hamin_aus wrote: My biggest problem was what you pointed out as an afterthought...
The destruction of a city and loss of thousands of lives.
WTF Superman, you had ONE job...
Yeah, but I was forewarned about this, so I didn't let it bother me as much.
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I was trying to be adult and keep my composure and all that nonsense but Pacific Rim deserves better. It was AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOMEAWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOMEAWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOMEAWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOMEAWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOMEAWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOMEAWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOMEAWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME

and I need to see it 400 more times.

:wav:
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So it's a worthwhile watch then?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I guess so mousey.

Watched Trance. Loved it. Really skr3w3d with my mind.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Watched Pacific Rim this weekend... was good, a different take on many things...
just wished they ended it differently................................
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Elysium is no District 9

It is an enjoyable enough movie in its own right. Took Blomkamps Sci-Fi metaphorical preaching and applied it to universal healthcare and immigration this time - instead of apartheid and race relations...

One thing tho - if you thought Sharlto Copely over-played Wickus vd Merwe in D9, wait until you see what he does with his character Kruger in Elysium.
Best moment of the movie for me is when he gets all rapey while singing ye olde classic "Jan Pierewiet" :lol:
Molean

Post by Molean »

I have viewed quite a few films recently...

Killing Them Softly - 7/10
Cool Mafia Hitman flick. Was done in a unique manner, though certain viewers will feel some of the stars and dialogue is pointless.

The Ice Man - 8/10
Very dark biopic based on the true life "Ice Man Killer" a mafia hitman, who was said to have killed over 100 people. Michael Shannon's perfomance in this film is absolutely incredible.

Grown Ups 2 - 7/10
If you enjoyed the original, you will like this flick. While it isn't the best comedy ever, it is a better Sandler film to have come out, as of the late. I enjoyed the banter between the cast and random moments.

Despicable Me 2 - 6/10
Same with Grown Ups, if you like the 1st, you should like this. However the story is alot weaker and the minions carry the humour.

Pain and Gain - 7/10
Uniqiue Crime Thriller. I enjoyed it for the most part, however the film does start to wane towards the end...Mark Wahlberg is a sight to see in this flick, as is the Rock...

The Heat - 7.5/10
A fun cop comedy, with some really funny LOL moments. The pairing of two very different characters worked quite well.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

D3PART3D wrote:I was trying to be adult and keep my composure and all that nonsense but Pacific Rim deserves better. It was AWESOME AWESOME ...

Dude. After the movie was over I thought to myself: "I'm gonna need a bigger TV".

12 hours later, the movie is still in my mind. The little girl. The rocket punch. Cherno Alpha. The class 5. The pilots moving in synch.

Definitely gonna need a bigger TV, and I will need to get a proper sound system.
- H. L. Mancken
Molean

Post by Molean »

GreyWolf wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:I was trying to be adult and keep my composure and all that nonsense but Pacific Rim deserves better. It was AWESOME AWESOME ...

Dude. After the movie was over I thought to myself: "I'm gonna need a bigger TV".

12 hours later, the movie is still in my mind. The little girl. The rocket punch. Cherno Alpha. The class 5. The pilots moving in synch.

Definitely gonna need a bigger TV, and I will need to get a proper sound system.
Personally they should release a blu-ray special effects version that has the movie edited down to only the fight scenes...as I feel that is all that is worth watching...
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Molean wrote:Personally they should release a blu-ray special effects version that has the movie edited down to only the fight scenes...as I feel that is all that is worth watching...
And the little girl. I was really amazed by her. She is even more impressive when you realise she was reacting to a green screen.

Also the hot Japanese lady.

Also the 2 geniuses.

Also Edris Elba.

Also the bulldog

Also the quirky clothing (red suspenders baby, yeah!)
- H. L. Mancken
Molean

Post by Molean »

GreyWolf wrote:
Molean wrote:Personally they should release a blu-ray special effects version that has the movie edited down to only the fight scenes...as I feel that is all that is worth watching...
And the little girl. I was really amazed by her. She is even more impressive when you realise she was reacting to a green screen.

Also the hot Japanese lady.

Also the 2 geniuses.

Also Edris Elba.

Also the bulldog

Also the quirky clothing (red suspenders baby, yeah!)
Haha, I liked that dream sequence...Jap gal was hot, the 2 Geniuses were cool, but started to get on my nerves. Edris Elba was ok too, he just asked people to do stuff, they would say no, then he would shout and change their answer to a yes...the bulldog was cute, but meh, nothing I haven't seen before...I like the second suits they got into, when meching up...
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Ii went to watch The Interns this morning. Had a Bambi/Ride of the Rohirrim moment...or three. :oops::-(
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

with Pacific Rim, I just wished they ended it differently as in comemerating those who were struck down... but then that is just me...
still a good movie...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Two movies:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

An original comedy horror/thriller? What? Yes! Very funny, lots of gore, lovable main characters, well acted as much these things go. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Seven Psychopaths

Really enjoyed it as well. Great cast, including Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, and Christopher Walken. Sam Rockwell always has me conflicted between hating him and loving him. He fits his role perfectly though, but so do all the others. Also an original story. Recommended!