The Movie Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Molean

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Molean »

KALSTER wrote:Two movies:

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

An original comedy horror/thriller? What? Yes! Very funny, lots of gore, lovable main characters, well acted as much these things go. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Seven Psychopaths

Really enjoyed it as well. Great cast, including Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, and Christopher Walken. Sam Rockwell always has me conflicted between hating him and loving him. He fits his role perfectly though, but so do all the others. Also an original story. Recommended!
+1 To both these films!

I was in tears with the chainsaw scene from Tucker and Dale vs Evil...such a great varience to the usual horror forte.
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Molean

Post by Molean »

I went and viewed Elysium last night, and while it is good, it isn't great. It felt a lil long winded, some of the cast weren't used to their full potential and the "main" villain got on my nerves eventually...however, the effects are incredible (You can feel the whisper of District 9 in a few scenes), storyline is above average per se and it is an interesting film...I won't be viewing it again though.

7/10
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Recently saw Snitch which I thought was very good. More of a drama than Johnson's usual stuff, but the story had me till the end. The lady prosecutor or whatever she was worked on my nerves though

R.I.P.D, which was ok-ish but rather mindless, as was Pain & Gain- too stupid for words, I tell ya. Gives new meaning to the phrase muscle for brains :facepalm:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I heard that Kick bottom 2 went wrong in all the ways I feared it could. :(
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

D3PART3D wrote:I heard that Kick bottom 2 went wrong in all the ways I feared it could. :(
Don't say that! Have you got links?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

This is the review I saw:

Language warning.

I'll go see it anyway!
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Just had a decidedly odd experience. I watched "The Captains" on Youtube, which is William Shatner interviewing the other captains from over the years, but it's more philosophical than I expected.

Avery Brooks (Captain Sisko from DS9) comes across as a lunatic! WS tries to interview him and all he does is talk gibberish, grins like a lunatic and plays piano!

Some quite deep and revealing conversations are had, some ego driven and half pretentious meanderings, but overall I am glad to have seen it.

Patrick Stuart remains my favourite Captain by far. The man is just an intelligent, consummate professional, completely OK with the fact that he will be remembered mostly as Picard or Star Trek.

Was a bit difficult to sit through. A non-Trekkie would hate it.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Molean

Post by Molean »

Yea Kick@ss 2 is cool, but rather absurd at times. I still prefer the original...

I felt Snitch was rather bad...with many a plot hole and a story that just didn't flow properly, or was believable

for that matter...

R.I.P.D is a terrible version of MIB mixed with Ghost busters with very bad CGI in certain scenes. Jeff Bridge's

character eventually got on my nerves, while I felt that Ryan Reynolds, never really felt apart of the feature...

The Heat was brilliant on the other hand and is one of the better comedies I have seen this year!

We're The Millers is a lackluster comedy that has its moments, however will soon be forgotten.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So last night I watched the Lone Ranger. Peter Travers from Rolling Stone wrote, "Your expectations of how bad The Lone Ranger is can't trump the reality," so my expectations were zero. And while there were certainly massive flaws, I actually quite enjoyed it.

I reckon that this flopped for two major reasons.

First, I think that Disney did a bang up job of marketing it. They tried to market it, it seems, to kids and teens, when they should have been marketing it to those of us who grew up watching The Lone Ranger on TV. Travers writes,
Harsh critics insist it's the film's tonal shifts that destroy it. Ha! Can you imagine a group of nine-year-olds bitching about "tonal shifts"?
The thing is, this isn't a movie that nine-year-olds will primarily enjoy. It's a nostalgic film, much in the vein of The A-Team, etc.

Second, you know that a film is going to flop in the US when it is released on Independence Day weekend and they dress up a white guy like an Indian telling the story of how the white man oppressed the Indians. I mean, seriously? It seems like they were trying as hard as possible to make Americans feel bad for being American. Genius!

That said, I have grown weary of Depp recently, but he was refreshingly funny in this role. It was like watching Captain Jack Sparrow for the first time. I have no doubt that I'd quickly get bored if there was a sequel (which there probably won't be), but he roused a few genuine laughs. Silver was quite the riot too, actually.

Okay, the film was more Tonto's than the Lone Ranger's, and there are a few complaints about the Ranger's character. It was a little long and dragged a bit in the middle, but the action wasn't in my opinion, over the top (like it was, for example, in Man of Steel).

What they did really well, I thought, was to keep the story more or less true to the original. And the return of William Tell's Overture was a genius moment of nostalgia. I watched The A-Team waiting with bated breath for an extended run of the familiar theme music, but it never came. I watched the short-lived reboot of Knight Rider and found myself distinctly bummed that they changed the theme as drastically as they did. The Overture drumming out during the final train scene was epic!

This is by no means a cinematic masterpiece, and rustypup will hate it, but if you go into it with minimal expectations and with a sense of childhood nostalgia, you may come out the other end pleasantly surprised.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:but the action wasn't in my opinion, over the top (like it was, for example, in Man of Steel).
Hahaha, the action in a movie about the most powerful beings in existence (take that, religion threads!!!) was over the top :?:
And you expect anyone to listen to your deluded ramblings about Disney who are now 2/2 for shirtfests that lost tonnes of money (John Carter)

I cant wait for future you to come on here and tell us how the Disney Star Wars movie wasn't that bad and the violence wasnt over the top like in those Home Alone movies...

Stick to watching Hannah Montana with your daughter you bought-and-paid-for Disney shill
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Don't tell me that John Carter wasn't 2012's best film!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

100% honesty - it wasnt that bad.

When I get around to watching Lone Ranger I'm sure I'll enjoy it for what it is as well.

Thor Dark World was yet another action packed Marvel vehicle. Decent all round. Some nice cameo's from Avengers team members who have their own movies coming up and a nice set-up for a possible third movie.

Next on the watch-list... Enders Game. Have heard good things. Very good.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Am I alone in seeing the irony of Paul Walker being killed after his sport car spun out of control?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:Am I alone in seeing the irony of Paul Walker being killed after his sport car spun out of control?
As soon as news of his death broke the internet was full of poor-taste jokes. It was fast - too fast
This made some people furious... perhaps too furious
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Saw the next Hunger Games movie -= pleasantly surprised - better than the first. Now I need to read the last book :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Over the weekend, I watched two films. First, I saw Gravity. Rather enjoyed it, I must say. I think George Clooney may make a cameo appearance in the next Star Wars movie. Just sort of floating in the background.

Then I watched Jobs last night. Definitely over-sentimentalised. I was surprised, however, that Kutcher was not as terrible as I expected he would be.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Philip Seymour Hoffman died yesterday from a heroin overdose. I wonder if he finished his scenes in the new Hunger Games movie?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

KALSTER wrote:Philip Seymour Hoffman died yesterday from a heroin overdose. I wonder if he finished his scenes in the new Hunger Games movie?
I've been reading a lot about this guy over the last 24 hours. Had no idea who he was. :oops:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Stuart wrote:
KALSTER wrote:Philip Seymour Hoffman died yesterday from a heroin overdose. I wonder if he finished his scenes in the new Hunger Games movie?
I've been reading a lot about this guy over the last 24 hours. Had no idea who he was. :oops:
Wow.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I still don't know who he is.
Molean

Post by Molean »

I thought Jobs was painful to watch...Kutcher may have looked the part, but was the incorrect actor to play the role of Steve Jobs...I did like certain scenes in the film, but it fails for me.

Two films I had the pleasure of viewing recently and enjoyed immensely were:

The Wolf of Wall Street (I do hope Leo gets an Oscar for his performance) and Lone Survivor. Amongst others was an Asian film called "Flu" which is quite an experience seeing how fast a viral pandemic can spread.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Molean wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (I do hope Leo gets an Oscar for his performance)
The cerebral palsy scene alone is worthy of a statue
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Molean

Post by Molean »

GreyWolf wrote:
Molean wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street (I do hope Leo gets an Oscar for his performance)
The cerebral palsy scene alone is worthy of a statue
I actually want to watch the film again :)
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

gonna go watch Vampire Academy on friday... :D :D
I have read all the books and although they are for the young youth it is well written and has a good story running through all the books...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

My girl tribblet is reading it now.