The Movie Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by Stuart »

ghett0_ghuru wrote:surely none of you expected a run-of-the-mill conversion with Chrisopher Nolan involved? - Seriously????
No, but you should at least be able to expect him to stay more-or-less true to the character.
ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

meh ..... it's different, it creates controversy and discussion and more importantly
... it did not kill the franchise. I'm happy to wait and see where they are going with all the deviations.
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Molean

Post by Molean »

ghett0_ghuru wrote:meh ..... it's different, it creates controversy and discussion and more importantly
... it did not kill the franchise. I'm happy to wait and see where they are going with all the deviations.
I concur with seeing where they take it...as maybe they will improve on their first attempt...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

As a proper example of allowing directors' there artistic freedom, I offer you Ender's Game.
This is a series I know and love by heart. It will be decimated by hollywood; Yet if they pull it off on celluloid and entertain me once more; Hollywood gets an A+ from me.............. In the end it takes me hours to read and imagine a book or comic.......... movies are only that long...... GIVE SOME CREDIT TO THE POOR PRODUCTION TEAM
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ghett0_ghuru wrote:As a proper example of allowing directors' there artistic freedom, I offer you Ender's Game.
This is a series I know and love by heart. It will be decimated by hollywood; Yet if they pull it off on celluloid and entertain me once more; Hollywood gets an A+ from me.............. In the end it takes me hours to read and imagine a book or comic.......... movies are only that long...... GIVE SOME CREDIT TO THE POOR PRODUCTION TEAM
Yes, I get this, but artistic freedom should surely only go so far. If they rebooted the Incredible Hulk as a romantic comedy, would you applaud artistic liberty?
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

agreed................... artistic freedom only goes that far.
Hope we can have a drink or whatever 1 day
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

In other news, my wife is keen to go watch The Long Ranger. I haven't read any reviews of it yet, but I have this sneaky suspicion that I am going to come away disappointed.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Stuart wrote:In other news, my wife is keen to go watch The Long Ranger. I haven't read any reviews of it yet, but I have this sneaky suspicion that I am going to come away disappointed.
Hmm...which movie does she want to view :P ;)

Pacific Rim is at the hight of my want to watch list...nothing else really comes to mind...Oh yes, and World War Z...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Molean wrote:
Stuart wrote:In other news, my wife is keen to go watch The Long Ranger. I haven't read any reviews of it yet, but I have this sneaky suspicion that I am going to come away disappointed.
Hmm...which movie does she want to view :P ;)
Shhhh . . . don't tell her.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Johnny Depp has been venturing into "meh" with his last few movies.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

KALSTER wrote:Johnny Depp has been venturing into "meh" with his last few movies.
Agreed, Jack Sparrow with a bird on his head and a condescending native American accent is still Jack Sparrow. His most interesting role as of late was in 21 Jump Street.

Although, apparently its not a bad movie, but not great either. The biggest criticism is that the 2 main characters have no real chemistry.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Molean

Post by Molean »

Viewed a few films over the weekend

Dead Man Down 7/10 - Interesting film, however there are a few letdowns, like Farrell's acting and the pacing. I did enjoy the scenes of suspense and action.

Odd Thomas 7.5/10 - Another intriguing film that is done in a unique way. A few plot holes let the flick down somewhat and can be predictible. Otherwise a worthly watch. I did enjoy the style of dialogue and cinematography.

Evidence - 6/10 - POV film that tries to be different. Kept me interested for the most part, but isn't very original. I could see the idea they were going for, however I don't think it was executed the way it was first envisioned.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Pacific Rim is the movie of 2013 for me hands down.
It Surpasses Iron man 3 for the sheer awesomeness of giant robots fighting giant monsters for 2 solid hours.

Shut up and take my money.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

hamin_aus wrote:Pacific Rim is the movie of 2013 for me hands down.
It Surpasses Iron man 3 for the sheer awesomeness of giant robots fighting giant monsters for 2 solid hours.

Shut up and take my money.
Man, I want to watch this. I was expecting something slightly better than maybe Battleship, but from reviews like this, I can't wait to see an awesome giant robot/alien movie!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

On the heels of the worldwide success of “Man of Steel,” director Zack Snyder is bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time—Batman and Superman—for the first time on the big screen.

More
This would be so much cooler if Snyder had actually got Superman right in "Man of Steel." Still, hope springs eternal . . .
Last edited by Stuart on 23 Jul 2013, 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I suck today at bbcode!
Molean

Post by Molean »

World War Z - 8/10

The story is OK, but the way it rolled out was pretty cool...almost like a video game one could say. In this film you feel the panic and dread, which is what a Zombie flick needs, coupled with a few varied action scenes and you have quite an entertaining flick on your hands. There are one one or two slow shots, but they don't last long and are needed to keep the story attached.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Molean wrote:World War Z - 8/10

The story is OK, but the way it rolled out was pretty cool...almost like a video game one could say. In this film you feel the panic and dread, which is what a Zombie flick needs, coupled with a few varied action scenes and you have quite an entertaining flick on your hands. There are one one or two slow shots, but they don't last long and are needed to keep the story attached.
I'd score it at 7/10 because "Dawn of the Dead" fast zombies are one thing... but WTF!
That part of the story didn't make sense to me. They tried to blend 28 Days Later with a traditional zombie apocalypse flick and that didn't work for me.
The amount of disbelief you need to suspend in order to believe that an infectious agent can completely take control of a human body in 2 minutes and make the significant changes required to enable the increased speed and strength, as well as the ability to judge at a glance who is a suitable candidate for infection was too much for me.
Then the fact that they kept the traditional zombie trope of only head shots being kills...
You cant have your cake and eat it too! Stick to either they an infected humans or undead.
Either would have worked in this movie. The weird combination didn't.

Also, where in the hell was the battle of Yonkers, New York?????
If I want to see a bunch of Muslims trying to destroy Jerusalem I can fly to Israel and watch that right now...
Molean

Post by Molean »

hamin_aus wrote:
Molean wrote:World War Z - 8/10

I'd score it at 7/10 because "Dawn of the Dead" fast zombies are one thing... but WTF!
That part of the story didn't make sense to me. They tried to blend 28 Days Later with a traditional zombie apocalypse flick and that didn't work for me.
The amount of disbelief you need to suspend in order to believe that an infectious agent can completely take control of a human body in 2 minutes and make the significant changes required to enable the increased speed and strength, as well as the ability to judge at a glance who is a suitable candidate for infection was too much for me.
Then the fact that they kept the traditional zombie trope of only head shots being kills...
You cant have your cake and eat it too! Stick to either they an infected humans or undead.
Either would have worked in this movie. The weird combination didn't.

Also, where in the hell was the battle of Yonkers, New York?????
If I want to see a bunch of Muslims trying to destroy Jerusalem I can fly to Israel and watch that right now...
I see what you mean, but I am glad they mixed the two. It is what made it stand out from the rest. I didn't look to much into how fast they turned in regard to the gaining of super speed and strength, I just imagined it as if the disease made adrenalin pump through their veins constantly (or when they became active). The super speed just made it more terrifying for me...with the less chance of survival. I haven't read the whole book, but perhaps they will include that "Battle" in a sequel, perchance there is one.

I have seen a ton of terrible Zombie films been made and I, for one, am happy this isn't another...especially coming from Hollywood.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Molean wrote:I haven't read the whole book
Tell the truth, you haven't even picked the book up :P
I knew going in that the movie and book share a name and nothing else and I was fine with that.
Molean wrote:It is what made it stand out from the rest.
Thats the thing, it just didn't stand out for me.
The I Am Legend mutated vaccine/virus was more believable than WWZ :shock:

28 Days Later still has for my money the best purely scientifically explainable zombies.
They managed to make them scary with just pure rage. No superhuman strength, no hive-mind, no invulnerability and no extra-sensory perception...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie.
I just don't think it merits an 8/10 because of a few serious plot holes and weak lore.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the first "serious" zombie movie where they actually found a cure :?: (I don't consider I Am Legend a zombie movie)
Doesn't that just scream ****** hollywood ending :?:
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Spoilers people....
Molean

Post by Molean »

hamin_aus wrote:
Molean wrote:I haven't read the whole book
Tell the truth, you haven't even picked the book up :P
I knew going in that the movie and book share a name and nothing else and I was fine with that.
Haha, ok I didn't pick up the book, I double clicked on the ebook ;)

Tbh I didn't find the book compelling enough and lost interest...perhaps another read (or attempt to) is in order...
hamin_aus wrote:
Molean wrote:It is what made it stand out from the rest.
Thats the thing, it just didn't stand out for me.
The I Am Legend mutated vaccine/virus was more believable than WWZ :shock:

28 Days Later still has for my money the best purely scientifically explainable zombies.
They managed to make them scary with just pure rage. No superhuman strength, no hive-mind, no invulnerability and no extra-sensory perception...

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of the movie.
I just don't think it merits an 8/10 because of a few serious plot holes and weak lore.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the first "serious" zombie movie where they actually found a cure :?: (I don't consider I Am Legend a zombie movie)
Doesn't that just scream ****** hollywood ending :?:
Spoiler (show)
I felt it did stand out. "I am Legend" has a tiny breakout in the beginning, then it is just one person with a bunch of those "Vamp creeps" who can't go into the sun. I did enjoy the flick , but the only comparison to "WWZ" is an infection and perhaps trying to find a cure. "28 Days Later" I do prefer over "IAL" (also having a minimal, or next to nothing in regard to an initial infection breakout), however that is also different, as the zombies maybe fast and infect quickly, but they are never portrayed in a mass like the way they are in "WWZ" and the cure for them seems to be starvation (kinda lame). Plot holes for me are almost in every movie, and unless they are really massive and take you out of the feature, I can handle as they are a part of film today, no escaping that.

You are correct in saying that this is the first Zombie film to have a "cure" of the sorts, but then again, doesn't Gerry say at the end of the flick that it doesn't work for all of them and that the war is far from over? So the cure may not be a definite, though it could just be a ploy to keep it open for a sequel. At the end of the day I felt it did stand out as a Zombie feature. It may be remenescent of other similiar films, but still has some great entertaining, tense and terrifying moments.
Sorry for any spoilers...
Molean

Post by Molean »

Viewed "World War Z" last night...

Latest review here:

http://pcbunny.co.za/2013/07/24/world-w ... 13-review/

Really great zombie romp, that I am looking forward to viewing again!
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Saw "Man of Steel" yesterday... I think the Irene Mall made the experience worthwhile... Was good, a different perspective on the while Superman story... I just think that they could have not destroyed so many buildings (especially with the sonic waves) and that some of the fight scenes could have been made shorter, the bad guys just don't wanna die...

all my 2c...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Molean

Post by Molean »

Viewed "The Internship" over the weekend and it has to be one of the most dismal comedies I have seen this year…lame jokes ahoy, lacklustre story, not to mention Vince and Owen are stale as they come…they weren’t kidding when they said it feels like one big ad for Google…I thought it may have been my humour, but I was in a cinema that was about 50% full, and from what I could hear they didn’t find it all that amusing either…
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Image Image
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk