Latest Purchases Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Latest Purchases Thread

Post by Tribble »

I am sure that is what hubby said. Must admit - I don't always listen too well.
naughty

Post by naughty »

THE_STIG wrote:mmm, 4k sounds a bit more sane. I saw stuff priced at over 20k the other day :shock:
speakers? ..... many cost over R20k - the ones i pictured ie the Ikon 7's retailed at R20k when they were in the range (even though thats not what i paid for them through my contacts during the importer clearance :wink: )

my entire surround set retailed for around R39999 when it was in the range with the subwoofer being extra (again not what i paid since i get terrific discounts and my situation was that i was in the right place at the right time ie i found a set at the end of its product life cycle so i got it for around half its actual value as they cleared the shelves for the new stuff :wink:

the next pair of speakers i want are Martin Logan - the top of the range in that ie the CL set are around R250k ..... needless to say i cant afford a pair of those - the one i am after (second hand i might add) originally sold for around R70k and im hoping to get them for around R20k to R25k (second hand)

@ tribs i have a Denon 2808 receiver which is similar to your Yamaha even though mine is slightly older - these receivers are great for surround sound - but i prefer to keep stereo and surround reasonably separated - so my stereo amplifier serves as a power amp for the front speakers - which is a technical way of saying that the receiver controls the stereo amp as a pre-amp normally would and im bypassing the controls on the stereo amp for surround sound purposes but i can keep the surround stuff switched off when i listen to stereo

as you can see this is similar to your yamaha even though the layout is a bit different due to being a different brand but it has more-or-less the same features :wink:

heres a pic of my AV rack as i was setting it up - it was still a work in progress at the time so the place is a mess as i took this photo it might be a bit neater now but i still have not completed my new setup yet so still some work going on

anyways sorry for branching off topic since all of this was not a new purchase so no more about my system in this thread :oops:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

You audiophiles are a breed of your own. I am sure hubby would do something similar to what you have - if he didn't have so many kids ;-) To him picture and sound quality have to be perfect - or the program is unwatchable. The downside to this is that he has changed me. I cannot watch a grainy picture any more, I cannot have poor sound either. A hiss or a rattle is one of the most annoying things. And for me the worst thing is when there is a lag between the picture and the audio. Even a fraction of a second annoys me. If the lips are in the wrong position for the sound I am hearing I comment. That then spoils it for him as he didn't notice but now he does.

I still cannot tell the difference between dolby surround and all the other options. As long as the sound comes from the right direction and is clear - I am happy. 5.1 and 7.1 etc just too much for my little brain.

Well we are going trick or treating tonight - so I guess I will be hiring costumes and buying more sweeties. It promises to be an awesome night.
naughty

Post by naughty »

You audiophiles are a breed of your own
it sure seems like it :P
I am sure hubby would do something similar to what you have - if he didn't have so many kids ;-) To him picture and sound quality have to be perfect
well i dont have kids .... should explain why i did it :wink: and theres no reason not to get perfection in your picture and sound
And for me the worst thing is when there is a lag between the picture and the audio. Even a fraction of a second annoys me. If the lips are in the wrong position for the sound I am hearing I comment. That then spoils it for him as he didn't notice but now he does.
makes it seem like those old chinese kung-fu movies where what you hear is a couple of seconds behind what you see - its really funny to see the guys lips moving and then you hear a poor translation lagging behind :lol:

you should actually look in the menu of the receiver when that happens though - maybe its not worth adjusting in real time like when it happens on a TV program but if it happens during a dvd or a blu-ray there is generally a time delay adjustment and its either called time delay or sometimes voice sync (note : its not the same as speaker distance adjustment) - my receiver adjusts it up to 200ms (milliseconds) or -200ms so you can adjust the vocals either backward or forward until its in sync - it helps if the delay is not a matter of a couple of seconds .... which is huge in terms of the context of what you see vs what you hear

my receiver also features an auto function for this and i always leave that option enabled so it adjusts it automatically if the soundtrack was incorrectly recorded onto a disc so i dont really get this problem as much as i could possibly have encountered

My DSTV PVR also has this functionality but sometimes with the PVR if you fiddle with it the whole movie could be over by the time you get it right, so if you are watching real time TV it isnt worth fiddling around so rather try the adjusting if you have the program recorded :wink:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mmmm I wonder if he knows that - will pass that info on. I have got so bad I cannot watch dubbed movies any more - or if I do I make a point of not looking at their mouths. Bet how successful that one is :twisted: (One thing I have noticed - I cannot read and watch at the same time. So subtitles are completely out. I either have to look at the words or the picture - cannot do both. So I never really see who stars in the movie or sometimes even the title is a mystery until I ask someone. And location notes are never seen as they are unexpected.)

I know that if it happens in a digital file - we generally rebuild it or get a new copy ;-) Doesn't happen on many DVDs at all - perhaps he has that auto correct on too.

DSTV used to annoy me terribly because the blacks always used to pixelate - it seems that they have fixed that problem or are using better quality movies.

[on topic] Just bought a power play - the one with 20% juice. Much nicer taste than the guarana one
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

The Sound of Dubstep - Miracle of Sound
iDOS! - Green Day
Two CDs for my daughter I will not mention
Spoiler: (show)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Avengers 3D blu-ray
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Tribble wrote:The Sound of Dubstep - Miracle of Sound
iDOS! - Green Day
Two CDs for my daughter I will not mention
I think that pen is awesome, just needs a voice recorder and flash drive. :smile:
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Tribble wrote:Two CDs for my daughter I will not mention
Tribble, by buying Justin Beiber CDs, you're just reinforcing a bad habit! :P
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Monty wrote:
Tribble wrote:Two CDs for my daughter I will not mention
Tribble, by buying Justin Beiber CDs, you're just reinforcing a bad habit! :P
Not the Biebs - but almost as bad. Taylor Swift and Pink :shock: Though I must admit to liking the odd Pink song. Swift makes me want to commit suicide.

Fan.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Same here tribs. Swift annoys me, and that stupid 'never getting back together(or something like that)' was just awful.

Don't like pink at all but now and then she makes a listenable song
naughty

Post by naughty »

bought a samsung P6200 7" tablet

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p6200_g ... s-4208.php

as well as an incipio case for it as described in this link

http://www.pocketables.com/2012/01/inci ... eview.html

the tablet arrives with android 3.2 (honeycomb) and i rooted it and installed android 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Congratulations and welcome to the family! Now click madly on the Android version. When it changes, wiggle your finger back and forth and behold the easteregg.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Tribble wrote:Congratulations and welcome to the family! Now click madly on the Android version. When it changes, wiggle your finger back and forth and behold the easteregg.
whats supposed to happen?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Depends on your Android version. You get the little Android first and then when you wiggle your finger - you get flying icecream sandwiches on mine. Just some thing cute. Gingerbread gives little Gingerbread men.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Tribble wrote:Depends on your Android version. You get the little Android first and then when you wiggle your finger - you get flying icecream sandwiches on mine. Just some thing cute. Gingerbread gives little Gingerbread men.
ahhh .... got it - you have to keep tapping on the version and then long hold the android when it appears and it expands and then extends into the flying ice cream sandwiches - i got to them .... eventually :lol:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Golden Circle tickets for Metallica.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

1/10th KrugerRand. It's the size of a 10 cent piece but is worth R1 800. :o and back in 1969 or so you could buy the full KrugerRand for R27.
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Tribble wrote:Depends on your Android version. You get the little Android first and then when you wiggle your finger - you get flying icecream sandwiches on mine. Just some thing cute. Gingerbread gives little Gingerbread men.
:lol: I did not know that, tried on mine. I see icecream sandwich things flying round :lol:
Animal

Post by Animal »

Bought myself a Canon Eos 1100D camera on the Incredible Black Friday special for R2999. Comes with a 18-55mm lens. I know absolutely nothing about photography, but looking forward to learn!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Congrats - welcome to the club :)
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

You got a house on that land too - or just the land?

Congrats.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Probably only a cave :dontknow:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Nah just the land... have to find somebody to build a house on it now...
Was thinking maybe this