Odroid and xubuntu

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Odroid and xubuntu

Post by StarBound »

So recently I started looking at Raspberry Pi but the deeper I looked into it the more problems I came down with. I am not exactly familiar with linux or the process involved with how the RP is setup or run. Other things became issues to like the clock speed not being up to scratch and the memory not entirely where it should be.

My main aim is to get a small emulator box going where I can toss all my old NES/Mega Drive games. The Pi simply started falling short. This morning however I was directed to this site:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
The product is call the Odroid U3, features many of the same features as pi but has multicores processing, ddr2 onboard memory in ample supply for the purpose that it is intended for, and you can order all the components from the supplier.

My question is does anyone have experience with this? Or what was the experience with the RP like?

Then secondly with reguards to ubuntu or xubuntu would it be easy for someone that just understands windows to get into?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Odroid and xubuntu

Post by KALSTER »

Have you ever looked into something like this?

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/NEO-X7-E ... 17282.html
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

In truth I have looked at mini PC options. A windows based system would work but after all has been said and done all I want is something small, connected to my TV, able to play emulators. Android has its ups and downs, Linux has its ups and downs and so does windows.

The things to keep in mind is cost and compatibility. Obviously the fact that these devices take up so little power and are so small is a benefit should you wish to take the things somewhere.
My Steam Screenshots

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

StarBound wrote:In truth I have looked at mini PC options. A windows based system would work but after all has been said and done all I want is something small, connected to my TV, able to play emulators. Android has its ups and downs, Linux has its ups and downs and so does windows.

The things to keep in mind is cost and compatibility. Obviously the fact that these devices take up so little power and are so small is a benefit should you wish to take the things somewhere.
Looking at it I see that Minix device I linked to has basically the same hardware as the U3, i.e. it runs a Rockchip RK3188 SOC. Those things are pretty fast and I was strongly considering getting a tablet running it. Looking at the AnTuTu scores and so, it performs pretty well FOR THE PRICE. Being ARM based though, it won't be able to run Windows AFAIK.

Still, it comes with all the extras you'll have to buy extra for the U3. It has Bluetooth 4 built in instead of having to use a dongle, freeing up a USB port. It also has a large WiFi antenna. It would certainly be something I'd consider for myself.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

The Minix does look like a nice compact package. My only concern might be that it is android.
My Steam Screenshots