Cell C vs Vodacom - iphone 5

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Cell C vs Vodacom - iphone 5

Post by StarBound »

I'm looking at the Cell C option for the iphone 5. R400 for 200 minutes, 500mb of data. I am happy on cell C atm but my sister has an iphone 4 with MTN and she wants to smash the thing into the ground. I have heard CellC is the bad when it comes to data coverage. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Anyone using an android or iOS that can comment on either CellC or Vodacoms coms would be appreciated.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Cell C vs Vodacom - iphone 5

Post by GreyWolf »

Android on Vodacom. No complaints yet. The only places where I have noticed that 3G signal is weak is my gf's house in Springs, and on certain areas on the highway between JHB and Durban.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I am on Vodacom, and I have one friend in Mondeor at who's house I cannot get 3G (though I can still get EDGE), but other than that I've never had a problem. Went with some friends to Sodwana Bay in August last year, and I was getting awesome 3G speeds, while a friend on Cell C could only get EDGE. Where I am in Alberton, I can't get decent 3G data coverage. I tried when our ADSL was down last year and it was useless.

That said, Vodacom 3G sometimes is painfully slow, depending on where I am. So even if I get 3G coverage, I don't always get 3G speeds.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

GreyWolf wrote:Android on Vodacom. No complaints yet. The only places where I have noticed that 3G signal is weak is my gf's house in Springs, and on certain areas on the highway between JHB and Durban.
Those areas must have had hills right? <_< My problem with Vodacom is all the friggin hills in the areas I drive, live & work. Cant get a decent signal to keep the call...

http://www.gr8signal.co.za/

Visit that sight to get an idea about data coverage. Please keep mind that it relies on people (like me) to be running the app and uploading the data it collects. So your area might not be covered if no-one has been running the app...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well then I have this option:
Take the R400 deal with data bundle and minutes. I have not really had any problems with my cell c yet. If I find for the iphone it is inadequate I could buy a vodacom sim or simply switch my current 3G stick sim for a nano and use that number, load airtime and data as I need it.

iphone 5 costs R8700 once off. For 24 months at R400 is R9600 which still gives me 200 minutes a month for calls on my blackberry. At current though I am using about R100-200 a month for BBM and calls on pre-paid. With the iphone my usage will go up.
My Steam Screenshots

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I live in Pta North, work in Houghton Estate. Vodacom signal is decent where I work, but pathetic at home. Cell C signal is better still at both places (at least where data throughput is concerned). At home on vodacom though I sometimes struggle even with voice calls :x My mother with her Cell C sim has no such issues and even hspa (or whatever it's called these days) coverage.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

StarBound wrote:I'm looking at the Cell C option for the iphone 5. R400 for 200 minutes, 500mb of data. I am happy on cell C atm but my sister has an iphone 4 with MTN and she wants to smash the thing into the ground. I have heard CellC is the bad when it comes to data coverage. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Anyone using an android or iOS that can comment on either CellC or Vodacoms coms would be appreciated.
Is that the iPhone 4 with the signal dropping problems?
Stuart wrote:and I have one friend in Mondeor
:shock: You have a friend in Mordor.... oh.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Yes.

Well I decided to pay cash for the phone so there.
My Steam Screenshots