Google Nexus related stuff

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Google Nexus related stuff

Post by StarBound »

Yup its been talked about in either the iOS or iphone 5 or android/smart phone thread but the problem is its been talked about in a thread I am having trouble finding. So gonna start this one.

I am looking for info on the google Nexus 7. Pricing, performance, first hand experience and if possible a comparrisson against apples products from forum members.

I have seen the nexus 7 wi-fi going for R3000. Wi-fi won't help if your looking for maps or on the go e-mail alerts ect so I need to find the 3G version. I think either rusty or monty had one (think its monty as rusty doesn't use things that requires less than 5 clicks :P ) so a bit of feedback on how well the device handles?

Then also which shops stock them or should I look online?

*edit*

Also what sim card is used in the 3G version?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Google Nexus related stuff

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:I think either rusty or monty had one
Bwahahahahahahahaha! +1 Internets to you!
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I have the 16GB Wifi only version and I absolutely love it.

It is smooth, fast and a pleasure to read off. Gaming performance is great as well.

Regarding the maps - Google maps allows you to save areas for offline use (but you have to be connected to the internet for it to decide on routes). I do have the Sygic world wide license (and once you have downloaded the maps for the area you want,) you don't need to be connected to the net for it to work.
That said, I would opt for the wifi versions in the future too, as I have a little Mifi 3G hotspot which is much better suited to my needs - I have multiple devices I can share one 3G connection with.

I have read a couple of books on the nexus 7 (both pdf and epub/mobi formats), and while it isn't as nice as a kindle, I was happy enough with the reading experience to give my old kindle to my sister.

It is very easy to root and unroot - which i would suggest as rooting allows you to plug USB drives and memory sticks in to the device.

Comfort wise - it is a device you can hold comfortably in one hand, its substantial enough to feel solid but light enough to hold for extended periods of time.

Oh, and battery life. Wow. I have had 10+ hours of screen on time while reading and looking at documents on a lot of occasions. I can get about 7 whilst watching videos and movies. As for the gaming battery life, I have no idea - haven't gamed extensively

I'd look at all the online retailers, compare prices etc.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I believe the R3000 at Hifi corp is the best price at this moment. My ipad 2 gets around 10 hours of activity time as well. I haven't tried a continuous 10 hour session though so can't confirm it :P

Whats your feeling on the camera pixel quality?

Have you ever bought something off the google play store?

And is Mifi 3G just for home use or slap it somewhere in the car and instantly a connection?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I have numerous apps from the play store - its a very easy process

I havent used the camera for anything yet.

The Mifi travels with me pretty much everywhere (it lives in the side pocket of my bag).
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.