Blackberry staging a comeback?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Blackberry staging a comeback?

Post by Stuart »

In June 2011, I spent some time with an early version of BlackBerry 10 and commented that things “can only get better.”

I said that because. at the time, things weren’t good. At all.

BlackBerry 10 was a mess and the developer unit I tried it on was so glitchy I felt guilty writing a hands-on piece at all. Yesterday, off-site at CES, I got a full run down of a near-final version of BlackBerry 10 by the folks at Research in Motion. I can’t believe the difference six months can make. BlackBerry 10 is not only fully functional now, but it’s exciting.

RIM’s been talking about things like “flow” and universal inboxes for months, and now that I’ve seen all of BB 10′s parts working together, I have to believe that RIM has a fighting chance. I wouldn’t have said it until today, but BlackBerry 10 could bring the comeback RIM so desperately needs.

Read more
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Blackberry staging a comeback?

Post by StarBound »

Except June 11 and this is Jan 13 would make it 18 months :P

Will still need to see as I am of the notion iOS is the way to go.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Oh man, I sure hope BB does come back.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

StarBound wrote: I am of the notion iOS is the way to go.
we shall take this under advisement...

the next time we have a frontal lobotomy...

BB 10 is a move into the same world of retardation as iOS/android... toys for mouth-breathing self-deluded narcissists..
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Rusty, rusty, rusty... Chill. It's an interface designed to be easy to use. That is all.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote: BB 10 is a move into the same world of retardation as iOS/android... toys for mouth-breathing self-deluded narcissists..
Give it a chance. Did you read the article? The fact that you can chose which notifications to receive is worth the investment alone.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Every. Single. Blackeberry. Owned by friends or family has been defective in some way. Avoid.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

StarBound wrote:It's an interface designed to be easy to use. That is all.
no... it isn't... it's designed around the stupidity that is the app store... which means games, farcical faux-max-life media apps and all the functionality and security of a rotting potato...

<just angry because we're being forced to secure some apple devices - more nonsensical expenditure on over-priced, unproductive, techno-garbage>
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Out of interest rusty, what (if any) is your preferred flavour of cell-phone?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

none... i have no preference other than it should make calls and have a battery life extending beyond 24 hours... maaaybe deliver mail...

everything else is pointless window-dressing for mindless technophiles...
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

SykomantiS wrote:Out of interest rusty, what (if any) is your preferred flavour of cell-phone?
The efficient UI
The purity of function
The smell of Oak
rusty_pup wrote:everything else is pointless window-dressing for mindless technophiles...
Dude... how can you be on a tech forum and not be technophile? :)
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:I am of the notion iOS is the way to go.
I reckon iOS has taken a downturn since the death of Jobs. While I would still take it over Android any day of this week, I'm not absolutely convinced of its longevity if it continues as it has been going. But that's just me.
rustypup wrote:no... it isn't... it's designed around the stupidity that is the app store... which means games, farcical faux-max-life media apps and all the functionality and security of a rotting potato...
You do realise that no one is actually forcing you to buy said apps, games, etc.? The OS will work just fine if you don't load all that stuff.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:You do realise that no one is actually forcing you to buy said apps, games, etc.?
you do realise it's not me i'm worried about?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So the determining factor as to an operating system's wow factor is how other people use it?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Dont mind rusty... He is a old puppy that hates learning new tricks :P.
/going to pay for that comment on Sunday... :P

I for one am looking forward to this launch and I hope it is successful. Lovely thing about Android is that all the features RIM will release for its new BB will be available on Android thanks to the talented dev's.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:So the determining factor as to an operating system's wow factor is how other people use it?
first off, no OS has a wow factor... none of them. never have. never will. the "wow" factor is a marketing brainfart enjoyed by impressionable reality-tv addicts the world over. when i meet an adult going on about "the wow factor" i tune them out. they've displayed the exact amount of inbred stupidity necessary to be culled from the herd.

secondly, i have to support the dimbulbs covering these devices in jam and burger grease, hence my less than salubrious viewpoint. the user these devices are aimed at is predominantly the *worst* user out there. the knuckle-dragging excuse for humanity which installs everything it comes across and then gets all bleaty when the phone freezes, reboots randomly or has a battery life just shy of an hour...

BB is only marginally better than its competitors because it provides a greater degree of control, via policy, over what the idjits can get away with. that and being able to brick units immediately.
Cataclysm_ZA

Post by Cataclysm_ZA »

I watched the launch and commented on it for NAG Online. I must admit, I'm very impressed with the way the whole thing is set out. Reminds me so much of how Meego works and what Nokia had planned for that platform.
NAG Online Hardware Writer
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

www.610wiod.com wrote:Alicia Keys assumes executive position at Blackberry

Alicia Keys really is a girl on fire - she has signed on as the Global Creative Director of smartphone maker BlackBerry.

The singer's job title was announced during the company's BlackBerry 10 launch in New York City on Wednesday, and it appears the Grammy Award winner will have her hands full with a load of new responsibilities for the tech firm.

President Thorsten Heins says, "Alicia Keys has come to BlackBerry because she believes in the product and technology, and subscribes to our overriding philosophy to 'Keep Moving' to empower people through mobile computing and communications.

"We are excited she will be bringing to us her enormous capabilities, as well as a vast network of relationships in the entertainment, social media and business communities, to help shape our brand and grow our business."

And a statement on the star's website reads, "In her new role, Alicia will work closely with app developers, content creators, retailers, carriers and the entertainment community to further shape and enhance the BlackBerry 10 platform, and inspire creative use through its remarkable capabilities and functionality."

Not sure if trolling...
Cataclysm_ZA

Post by Cataclysm_ZA »

hamin_aus wrote:Not sure if trolling...
Well look at it this way: Victoria Beckham was Creative Director at Land Rover and all that came out of it was a regular Evoque that turned into... a blinged-up gangsta's Evoque. Not much was really changed, probably because she could have been a terrible influence on the final product. At least Keys has some wit about her and I think she'll handle the role very well.
NAG Online Hardware Writer
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Alicia Keys talents are playing the piano and writing and performing songs which require her to scream about such important issues as girls being on fire.

I trust her to design a mobile phone about as much as I trust Thorsten Heins to write a commercially successful RnB song.

This is a gimmick, and a tired one at that. I currently own a BB and was happy to stick with them thru their rough patch as they always seemed to be the one company that was dedicated to creating mobile devices which were secure, configurable at the server-level and focused on serious business.

I might look at HTC next.