Facebook to Purchase Whatsapp?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Facebook to Purchase Whatsapp?

Post by Stuart »

Whatsapp, the multiplatform mobile messaging app that has been one of the runaway success stories for ad-free, paid services, has been in talks to be acquired by Facebook, according to sources close to the matter.

We’re still digging around on potential price and other details about how advanced the deal is. But as mobile becomes the latest battleground in the Internet’s game of thrones, you can see how such a deal could make sense.

For starters, it would be another way for Facebook to continue extending its touchpoints with mobile consumers, an area Mark Zuckerberg asserted, on the occasion of reaching 1 billion monthly active users on Facebook, would be crucial to Facebook reaching the “next billion.”

Read more
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Facebook to Purchase Whatsapp?

Post by Tribble »

I do not want ads. :P
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Dammit, as long as they don't find the "loophole" Whatsapp keeps saying it's free for a limited time then I just uninstall and re-install and it's free again. I've never paid for it and I've been using it for years ???
Maybe I'm missing something. But I've never cared or given it thought.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I have never had to uninstall and reinstall - and it is still free. That message going around is spam and it changes your status. Very annoying is what it is.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Tribble wrote:I do not want ads. :P
+1 I am already thinking of dropping Facebook due to the serious amount of unwanted ads. If WhatsApp gets taken over then I will be very sad... :(
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I don't even notice the ads on FB, but ads on Whatsapp would probably prove irritating. Though I somehow suspect that part of any deal would be to keep ads out of Whatsapp. Seems that what the article is suggesting, and it would make sense.