iPhone 5 officially announced

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
ADT

Re: iPhone 5 officially announced

Post by ADT »

Yep :)
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/wi ... er-proble/
WiFi connectivity under iOS 6 temporarily broken by server problem
Couldn't get on your WiFi network on Wednesday? Blame Apple.

by Lee Hutchinson - Sept 20 2012, 3:55pm SAST

Hours after the release of iOS 6 on Wednesday, quite a few folks began noticing that their newly upgraded iPhones and iPads were having trouble staying connected to WiFi networks. The behavior was odd, too—after selecting the WiFi network to which you wanted to connect, iOS would spin for a bit and then produce what looked like a WiFi captive portal log-in window, except the actual webpage displayed inside that window contained nothing but an Apple-styled "Page not found" error.

Fixes abounded—one popular one which originated from a MacRumors forum post and was picked up by Gizmodo and others suggested turning on auto HTTP proxy resolution in the iOS WiFi network settings. This appears to have produced middling success, but it didn't help everyone.

The behavior eventually cleared up as quickly and as mysteriously as it started. Was it a stealth iOS update? Can Apple alter your device's settings remotely without your consent? Should we all don tinfoil hats?

The answer is a bit more mundane. As pointed out on Twitter by @tylerc and echoed by our own Senior Apple Editor Jacqui Cheng, the root cause of the problem was a combination of iOS's default behavior of connecting to a WiFi network, coupled with some trouble on Apple's end. When iOS attaches to a WiFi network, it checks to see if that network requires additional credentials by attempting to access this file on Apple's website. If it sees the file, iOS knows it has Internet connectivity and it will remember that WiFi network. If it can't see the file, iOS assumes that the network requires some additional form of authentication (like a user name and password, or a WiFi access code).

To understand what happens next, consider the behavior of most password- or code-protected WiFi networks. When you try to access any webpage at all, you're redirected to a login screen, called a captive portal page. There, you put in some form of credentials, and after that you're passed on to the Internet in general. iOS assumes that if it can't get to its Apple-hosted success.html file that you're being redirected to a captive portal, and so it displays the Web server's response in a special "Log in" window separate from the Web browser.

This is fine, but things kind of fell down yesterday. The success.html file was missing or otherwise unavailable; if you tried to hit its URL directly with a Web browser, you were redirected to Apple's generic "Page not found" 404 error page (which you can see by typing "http://www.apple.com/" into your browser's address bar, adding some nonsense characters after the trailing slash, and hitting enter). iOS was interpreting the Web server's 404 redirect as the same kind of redirect a captive portal would produce when you're redirected to it on a protected WiFi network, and was dutifully displaying Apple's resultant 404 page, nicely wrapped in its standard captive portal "Log in" window. Because no successful "log in" was possible, iOS would interpret the network as an invalid or inaccessible one, and wouldn't remember it and wouldn't connect automatically. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The problem behavior manifested for several hours, it appeared, but Apple eventually addressed whatever issue caused success.html to be missing in the first place, and sanity returned.
Just an update. ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Okay so you wont see me saying this to often but Samsung and everyone else (manufactures): Stop hating on Apple! Focus on getting your build quality & software quality up to scratch and then start fighting with Apple, until then you are inferior. Why am I saying this? Look at Samsung attacking Apple users with their ads, its a childish tactic. Rather focus on getting your hardware up to speed with optimized software and push your software updates out quicker, that will help improve your image in the respective markets not cheap attacks like these ads.

Nokia is also now attacking the iPhone 5 and telling people its an inferior phone to theirs but when I last checked who is launching a week after the announcement? The Lumia 920 is coming out much later than the iPhone 5 and yet they are telling the market to wait for them, the world waits for no-one especially the consumer world. What does not help their case is that their partner Microsoft is denying Windows Phone 7 to be upgraded to 8 while Apple has updates spanning to the 3GS for iOS6 same applies to the Android world.

If I could somehow get over Apple's insane restrictions on the OS and allow me to tinker like Android does I would be more than happy to switch.

Backdrop to my rant:

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/20/ios-6-ado ... -24-hours/
iOS 6 adoption shoots to 15% in just 24 hours
By: Dan Graziano | Sep 20th, 2012 at 03:55PM

The adoption rate of iOS 6 among iPhone, iPad and iPod touch users has surged to 15% in the first 24 hours, according to a new report from online advertising network Chitika. The rate is much higher than it was with iOS 5, which took five days to reach 20% adoption, and Google’s (GOOG) latest Android operating system, which has only been found on 1.5% of devices after two months. Apple’s (AAPL) latest mobile operating system delivers more than 200 improvements and new features such as Facebook (FB) integration, smarter Siri and turn-by-turn navigation. The roll out has been plagued with bad press, however. A number of users reported Wi-Fi issues after updating and inaccurate results when using Apple’s new Maps app. Chitika’s press release follows below.

Versus:
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean Adoption Jumps 1500% in Two Months
18 SEPTEMBER 2012 BY CHITIKA INSIGHTS

– Version Fragmentation within Android Marketplace Remains –

Apple’s iOS continues to dominate the mobile landscape with the iPhone and iPad, as seen in our latest Mobile Manufacturer Market Share report. However, Google’s Android mobile operating system is garnering support and receiving a lot of attention, especially with the release of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, which was released this past July. Chitika Insights looked to measure the rate of adoption for the mobile platform since it began to roll out to a select number of devices.

To quantify this study, Chitika Insights compiled two months’ worth of Android Web traffic, sampling hundreds of millions of mobile ad impressions from within the Chitika Ad network. The Insights team then calculated and compared the percentage of traffic for the platform with overall Android traffic since June 30th, 2012. The graph below compares the percentage of users of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean relative to all Android Web traffic.

Android devices lagging far behind due to slow software development from each Manufacturer. What also does not help is that each Manufacturer gives their phones to little hardware for the OS to run correctly. Case in point the SGS3, they advertise it the International version with 1GB RAM but the OS only has 779MB to use and my phone has already taken 606MB. On JellyBean we get a nice bump to ~834MB but it is still not happy. Apple never has these problems but then their iOS has not had a major overhaul for a very long time.

And then Nokia attacking the iPhone 5

http://www.dailytech.com/Nokia+Explains ... e27750.htm
Nokia Explains Why You Should Get a Lumia 920 Instead of an iPhone 5
Brandon Hill (Blog) - September 20, 2012 2:58 PM

Nokia uses an infographic to tout the Lumia 920's advantages

Samsung has definitely had its time to poke fun at Apple's recently announced (and soon to be released) iPhone 5. Last weekend, Samsung released a print ad that proclaimed "It doesn't take a genius" to select a Galaxy S III over the iPhone 5. Yesterday, Samsung got even bolder by releasing a new TV commercial that not only poked fun at the iPhone 5, but also the rabid fans that camp out for hours (if not days) to be the first to have the latest Apple smartphone.

Now, Nokia is having its fun in the sun with an infographic that touts the advantages of its Windows Phone 8 device -- the Lumia 920 -- over the iPhone 5. Naturally, Nokia points to a number of Lumia 920 highlights including wireless charging and the ability to use the touch screen with gloved hands.

A better attack than Samsung's but still to late to the market.

/end rant...
//ryan & DJV I really need to spend time with you guys to get a better understanding of what you do with iOS maybe I was doing it wrong :P.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

A great time waster if I ever came across one :lol:
http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

:lol: :lol: :lol: Methinks Apple was rushed to release the maps app. It lacks their Apple polish... :lol:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

@Anakha, while I will agree that other manufacturers can learn a thing or two about timely software updates from apple, to expect them to not be competitive and try and set their own products in a better light than the competition, is a rather stupid thing to expect. Also, if you camp out in front of a store for 5 days just to buy a new phone, you deserve whatever is coming your way- that IS retarded. I say go ahead a make fun of the iSheep.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The slow updates are one of my biggest gripes with Android. I only got ICS a full ten months after its release, and then I could oonly get it over Kies, and I had to do that at a friends house because Kies on my PC wouldn't recognise my device.

I got iOS 6 on the day of release OTA.

Regarding the maps, I don't think we get 3D maps in SA, or at least I haven't been able to. I used the Apple maps while driving around a little today and it was pinpoint accurate for where I was, far more so than the TomTom maps app I have installed.

That said, some of the roadworks that were completed a year ago here in Alberton still aren't reflecting on either TomTom or Apple's maps. But then those changes don't reflect on Google Maps either.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

:lol:

ADT

Post by ADT »

how big was the iOS 6 update btw stu?

lulz only updated to ICS last night on my phone, and yeah it was quite slow the update, even tough my dongle indicated i was DL at 1.5-2Mb/s i maybe only got 50-60 Kbps

But so far i am impressed with ICS, performance wise much better than gingerbread
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

The OTA update is +- 550MB, the full download is 930MB on my iPhone 4.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

You guys just wait another 10 months for jelly bean- it's well worth it :P
Joys of owning a nexus device :mrgreen:

Stu, how would you compare Google maps to the new Apple maps? (Aside from the roadworks you mentioned)
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote: the full download is 930MB on my iPhone 4.

:shock:

Holy ****

Well then i can't complain that much, ICS was only a 220mb update
Spoiler (show)
ADT

Post by ADT »

SykomantiS wrote:You guys just wait another 10 months for jelly bean- it's well worth it :P

Stu, how would you compare Google maps to the new Apple maps? (Aside from the roadworks you mentioned)
:|
Spoiler (show)
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

SykomantiS wrote:You guys just wait another 10 months for jelly bean- it's well worth it :P
My Xperia S should get the JB fairly soon seeing as it was added to the AOSP device tree. :P
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
ADT

Post by ADT »

Spoiler (show)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

ADT wrote:Well this suxs :(
But par for the Android course...
ADT

Post by ADT »

lulz, well it's not like I'm gonna be having me phone for too long still :P
Spoiler (show)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:
I never used Google Maps for navigation, only TomTom. In terms of just using it to find a place the two seem about equal to me, but the absolute universal opinion I have read so far says that the Apple maps suck compared to Google. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that was true, but I'd have to use the two a little more to give a fair comparison.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Apple A6 Die revealed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6323/appl ... gpu-100mm2
Apple A6 Die Revealed: 3-core GPU, < 100mm^2
by Anand Lal Shimpi on 9/21/2012 4:00:00 PM
Posted in SoC , smartphones , Apple , iPhone 5

Our good friends at UBM TechInsights sent over the first diffusion images of Apple's new A6 SoC. It's still too early to tell a lot but we have confirmation of a lot of things. The image above shows two 32-bit LPDDR2 memory channels and three GPU cores. We're likely looking at a PowerVR SGX 543MP3 running at 266MHz.

UBM estimates the die size at 95.04mm2 and the manufacturer as Samsung.
Follow the link for the pics.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

This might be the reason why iMaps is not up to par with GMaps...

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/21/google-ma ... +Report%29
Google has a whopping 7,100 people working on Maps alone
By: Brad Reed | Sep 21st, 2012 at 08:05PM

Yes, it should be easy for Apple (AAPL) to one day match Google’s (GOOG) prowess for creating a top-notch maps application: All it has to do is hire another 7,000 people. Business Insider reports that Google has roughly 7,100 people who are working on its maps application, including 1,100 full-time employees and 6,000 contractors who combine to work as “street view drivers, people flying planes, people drawing maps, people correcting listings, and people building new products.” As BI notes, Apple has only 13,000 non-retail employees in total, so it’s really not fair to compare its maps application with an app that’s designed and maintained by a small army.
I really think Apple underestimated the Maps business. I see Tom Tom are offering Apple assistance in sorting out there problem probably with a nice fee ;).
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Apple will probably accept the offer and then sue TomTom for patent infringement once everything is running smoothly.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:
Stu, how would you compare Google maps to the new Apple maps?

Well i haven't used apple maps obviously , but i can't say anything bad about google maps, used it on my phone while i was in joburg, and it navigated me without any issues, point to point
Spoiler (show)
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:Apple will probably accept the offer and then sue TomTom for patent infringement once everything is running smoothly.
:lol:

another one bites the dust
Spoiler (show)
ADT

Post by ADT »

iPhone 5 Humiliates Galaxy S III in Drop Test [VIDEO]

when people have too much money ~ smh :|
Spoiler (show)
ADT

Post by ADT »

haha :lol: , got this one from fb

Spoiler (show)