iPhone 5 officially announced

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: iPhone 5 officially announced

Post by Stuart »

Apple's new iPhone 5 may have been criticised for its glitch-ridden new maps feature but it may have inadvertently provided a diplomatic solution to China and Japan's ongoing row over disputed islands.

Read more
Molean

Post by Molean »

At the end of the day it is just a bloody phone and people must choose the one that best suits them...it's the exact same with AMD vs Intel or Nvidia vs Radeon\AMD...the end? No, people have to haanaa on and on...I'm glad I know what I like and will go with the phone that will do what I WANT it to do, at the end of the day, nobody is gonna give a rats a$$ what phone you have apart from yourself, so even if the smartphone you own is the fastest by 1 second or whatever...who really gives a F...rant over...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Apple iPhone 5 aluminum shell plagued by chipping issues

It seems to have become a routine now. Every year Apple releases a new iPhone and while most of the customers are delighted a subset of buyers pull the short end of the stick. With the iPhone 4, it was the antennagate issue, with the iPhone 4S it was the battery life problem and now some iPhone 5 buyers are noticing dents on their prized possession.

Read more
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

I'm holding off on iOS 6. Will google has a google maps app out or are they gone?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

There are rumors of Google working on an app, but nothing confirmed yet.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Molean wrote:At the end of the day it is just a bloody phone and people must choose the one that best suits them...it's the exact same with AMD vs Intel or Nvidia vs Radeon\AMD...the end? No, people have to haanaa on and on...I'm glad I know what I like and will go with the phone that will do what I WANT it to do, at the end of the day, nobody is gonna give a rats a$$ what phone you have apart from yourself, so even if the smartphone you own is the fastest by 1 second or whatever...who really gives a F...rant over...

:lol:

Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

StarBound wrote:I'm holding off on iOS 6. Will google has a google maps app out or are they gone?
well from what I've heard from a mate that has updated to iOS 6 on his 4S, he's very satisfied with it, apart from the maps fail
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ADT wrote:
StarBound wrote:I'm holding off on iOS 6. Will google has a google maps app out or are they gone?
well from what I've heard from a mate that has updated to iOS 6 on his 4S, he's very satisfied with it, apart from the maps fail
Has he actually experienced the maps fail, or just read about it? Just wondering. It's obviously a problem, based on the widespread reports, but I haven't actually experienced any weird issues myself. I reckon that it would be more of a problem in the States and Europe where they probably put more effort into placing specific landmarks.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I feel sorry for those people who looked forward to their new phones - only to find them already scuffed and dented. That would really suck.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

But is it dented out of the box? Or after they dropped and kicked it and used it to wax their cars?
My Steam Screenshots

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

And they would do that why? After waiting so long for it? Would they sully the name of Apple - and to what end?
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Same reason as this:

My Steam Screenshots

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh kaaay - so there are nuts out there that will do anything for publicity. I hardly think this is the same thing. Or are you defending Apple and saying that they are incapable of making mistakes like this?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Reviews of Apple's Maps have been mixed at best, but problems with the application may not be as bad as they've been made out to be, according to Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

. . .

Wozniak received his iPhone 5 last week, after lining up at an Apple Store in Brisbane, Australia.

Wozniak said he was loving the iPhone 5, but admitted he was slightly disappointed with Apple Maps.

"I tried to navigate somewhere, and I couldn't get to where I wanted to by voice," he told ZDNet Australia. "So, I was a little disappointed, because I love navigation by voice with my Google [Android] phones, actually, since they always get it and are based on a better database."

Read more
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Tribble wrote:Or are you defending Apple and saying that they are incapable of making mistakes like this?
Hardly defending. There are some instances where something is faulty out of the box. The more of something there is the greater the chance of something being faulty. My question is however are the people who are using the phones abusing them. Let's face it if the thing dents from just holding it it is a problem. If people are drop testing the thing then its user side. If your dragging the thing over a table thats also scuff marks from the user.

If the thing is damaged out of the box then return it and let retailers and apple sort it out.
My Steam Screenshots

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Agreed - but who would drop test a phone. Had mine over a year and never dropped it on purpose.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well apparently these guys would:

I've dropped my blackberry curve once and while its still functioning there is a dent on the side that is really annoying. My concern is that the blackberry network might not function all that long anymore so looking for a replacement in the next year. Since I already own an ipad I might aswell go with a phone that functions nearly the same and have all my apps working across it. But I paid R2000 for my BB which I find to be a murderous price for a phone alone. Then we can assume that iphone 5 will retail for around R7-8k which is just rediculous on itself.

There are just some functionality I've grown use to having on my phone which I'm not willing to part with.

*edit*
btw there is one vid I watched just after this one where they shattered the iphone 5 screen. So different conditions/terrain is killer.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:*edit*
btw there is one vid I watched just after this one where they shattered the iphone 5 screen. So different conditions/terrain is killer.
I haven't seen one yet where an iPhone 5 screen shatters, but it's just a matter of time. (There is one comparing a 4s to a Galaxy S3 and there the iPhone gets shattered.) The terrain thing is key, as you say. The paving in the above video is very smooth. Our paving at the office, for example, is pretty rough, and I cracked my iPhone 4 screen on there twice.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ADT

Post by ADT »

Spoiler (show)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I'm guessing the first few days of buying the phone goes to everyone already owning one ...and people that likes to destroy the things.
My Steam Screenshots

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

A guy over at Carbonite was saying that his friend just bought one while in Dubai and paid R14k for it. :shock:
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:A guy over at Carbonite was saying that his friend just bought one while in Dubai and paid R14k for it. :shock:
wtf :shock:
Spoiler (show)
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

I guess I have a while to go until I can blow off that kind of cash without caring.
My Steam Screenshots

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I like those graphics.