iPhone 5 officially announced

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Belix

Re: iPhone 5 officially announced

Post by Belix »

Yeah that profit margin ought to be illegal! If there were not so many eager beavers buying them, they would have to drop the price, but now they could probably raise it without to big a drop in sales.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I also think you should wait until it is officially released in SA before you start talking about what it costs here.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Meh. I will wait for the nexus 10 rather I believe it would be more cost effective.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:I also think you should wait until it is officially released in SA before you start talking about what it costs here.
:thumbright:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

well with android and mobile data getting its flatrate...

Obviously my reason for wanting to go iphone 5 was or still is that I have an ipad so cross compatibility is pro. What I want and need is access to my email, map and gps (which my blackberry cannot do for ****) and a messenger like whatsapp (since it will replace BBM). Maybe I should look at another android solution? But what?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

DeathStrike wrote:Meh. I will wait for the nexus 10 rather I believe it would be more cost effective.
16 @ $399 and 32gb @ $499 as reported (rumour) by gsmarena- though it's not a gsm device, wifi only.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

So, having actually been with iOS and iPhone for a month, I can say that this is the most pleased I have been with any phone. So much in fact, that I'm keen on trying out a Mac (gasp). If Apple drops the Safari restriction, I'd be as pleased as punch.

The only competing device IMO is the HTC One X, and it was priced higher than the iPhone 5 when I went looking.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

D3PART3D wrote:The only competing device IMO is the HTC One X, and it was priced higher than the iPhone 5 when I went looking.
How do you define a competing device? "Device" to me entails hardware, in which case there are several competing devices. In fact, the iPhone 5 lags behind several devices in terms of hardware.

If you mean software, how is the One X more competitive than, say, the Galaxy S3? Both run Android. In fact, I would think that a Google phone running vanilla Android would be even more competitive on that score.

I haven't used Jelly Bean a great deal, but up until ICS, I personally don't think that any Android phone competed very well with iOS. My limited experience with Jelly Bean on my wife's phone has been a far more pleasing experience than ICS.

I should add that I haven't actually had my hands on an iPhone 5 yet.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

D3PART3D wrote:If Apple drops the Safari restriction, I'd be as pleased as punch.
iOS does not restrict the usage to safari however looking at toms benchmarks your far better off sticking to it than going for chrome.

The rat is right. The apple hardware itself lags behind. The retina display is superior to others and the shell itself being made of metal now is a higher quality than the plastic casing the other androids showcase. Inside the casing other androids looks far superior which brings us back to that saying, if you go with multiple hardware for a single OS you are bound to loose performance.

I've also looked at something along the line of the S3 and the cheap thing that Tribbs mentioned but end of the day I can't see myself going for something else than a iphone 5 at this point.
My Steam Screenshots

D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Stuart wrote:
D3PART3D wrote:The only competing device IMO is the HTC One X, and it was priced higher than the iPhone 5 when I went looking.
How do you define a competing device?
Perhaps I should not have said "device", but I mean the complete package. With smartphones having limited utility I don't think certain hardware specs matter after a point, maybe they will when we can run a desktop OS on them. All that matters with smart phones is how well basic tasks can be handled and how they suit personal preferences, which is why I put the IMO in there. User experience. IMO.
StarBound wrote:iOS does not restrict the usage to safari however looking at toms benchmarks your far better off sticking to it than going for chrome.
I know that, I have Chrome installed, but I can't set it to be the default browser. It''s sometimes highly annoying.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

D3PART3D wrote:
Stuart wrote:
How do you define a competing device?
Perhaps I should not have said "device", but I mean the complete package. With smartphones having limited utility I don't think certain hardware specs matter after a point, maybe they will when we can run a desktop OS on them. All that matters with smart phones is how well basic tasks can be handled and how they suit personal preferences, which is why I put the IMO in there. User experience. IMO.
Still unless you have used all other high end devices one cannot make a statement like that ;). Based on pure sales alone the S3 is the better option but that is only because Samsung knows how to market their goods whereas HTC know how to give a great device and then leave it...

As for your issue about Safari & Chrome... If you are willing to jailbreak the device guess what? You can set Chrome as your default browser ;). That part really peeves me off with iOS the lack of choice over something so basic, why Apple has not been taken to task in the EU like Microsoft was over IE I dont know...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:Based on pure sales alone the S3 is the better option
Without getting into the debate, I don't think it's fair to say that sales determine the better option.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

But it is the argument that Apple and its fanbois have used many a time in the past so why cant I use it? ;) I agree that it is not the best form of the argument but to say HTC is better based on personal experience without experiencing anything else allows me to say that based on sales the S3 is a far better option since so many people bought it they cant be wrong. Just trying to get some lively debate going thats all...

/Considering firing up that "thread" but since that topic has been discussed to hell and gone and there is nothing new to add into it, it will be a futile exercise...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I'm a fanboi because studies show that widgets decrease productivity and because I prefer the HTC over the S3? The HTC with the better display, camera and body? The HTC that's an Android phone and not (totally) an imitation iPhone? :P

- Elon Musk
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Anakha56 wrote:As for your issue about Safari & Chrome... If you are willing to jailbreak the device guess what? You can set Chrome as your default browser ;). That part really peeves me off with iOS the lack of choice over something so basic, why Apple has not been taken to task in the EU like Microsoft was over IE I dont know...
Not wanting to go too off-topic here, but in the views of myself and a lot of other informed people, Apple is fast becoming the new Evil Empire -- a title originally held by IBM back in ye old days, currently held by Microsoft, although I doubt for much longer as Microsoft is, in my view, going into decline.

However, the overwhelming majority, including the powers that be in the EU, have yet to catch on to that...
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Studies show that? Really? Where? Which studies? I ask you to show me those results please? :)

I have always liked HTC's build quality one thing I do miss about them. Better display? Actually thats much of a much and is purely subjective, every review I read said the S2 had a better display than the S3 but every time I look at my old S2 it does not look as good or lively. Interesting note HTC was using AMOLED displays on the Desire then they dropped it in favour of the SLCD this in turn made the AMOLED HTC Desire a very sought after phone when the SLCD version was released, why? AMOLED is a better more battery friendly display but again is subjective and I bet you would not be able to tell the difference in display when shown side by side ;). Better Camera? Based on what? Pixel count? Sorry iPhone wins that in all corners I am afraid.

"The HTC that's an Android phone and not (totally) an imitation iPhone" yes that argument is going to work for you... :roll: Tell me how many software upgrades has the latest HTC had verse the Samsung or iPhone? From what I know of HTC they upgrade you once to the latest Android version (if you are lucky) and then force you to buy a new phone after that. Yeah thats a "Android phone" for you... :roll: As for your Samsung = iPhone claim that opens up the kettle of fish of iPhone = Android since Apple is copying a whole lot of features directly from Android. Also given the fact that Apple has a patent on rectangle designed handheld devices the HTC = iPhone as well :P.

We should leave this discussion for another thread now... :)

*edit*

Ron we are already off-topic hence my last sentence :). I do agree with that prediction and hope that Tim Cook can change the direction they are going...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

D3PART3D wrote:I'm a fanboi because studies show that widgets decrease productivity and because I prefer the HTC over the S3? The HTC with the better display, camera and body? The HTC that's an Android phone and not (totally) an imitation iPhone? :P
Dude, what are you smoking? How exactly is the S3 an imitation of the iPhone?

In fact, neither one of those is "more Android" than the other. If you want moar androidz, go Nexus.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Lol, that post wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I wanted to take a dig at Anakha for calling me a fanboi.

- Elon Musk
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

:lol: Ok.
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Well I got my iphone 5. Paid cash, didn't want to get stuck into a contract since other people complained about Cell C while my experience with them has mostly been a positive one.

I'm kinda miffed at the 2 day battery life. My ipad is sometimes on for a week but ok granted I use it less. My BB lasted 5-7 days. Whats the battery life on a galaxy s3 or nexus or other smart touch phones?
My Steam Screenshots

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

StarBound wrote: Whats the battery life on a galaxy s3 or nexus or other smart touch phones?
Depending on how I use it 1-2 days. I have got used to it, keep in mind the big touch screen is what drains your battery also your brightness of the screen does not help. The BB's all have tiny little screens that show nothing hence the reason why they last so long ;).
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Yeah figured that, not to mention the phone puts some consoles to shame :P
My Steam Screenshots