iPhone 5 officially announced

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
ADT

Re: iPhone 5 officially announced

Post by ADT »

:lol: i LoL'd - language warning
Spoiler (show)
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

lol
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Bad news for those who ordered an iPhone 5. The couriers have been using iMaps to find your address and are lost.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

A colleague of mine has one.

It's lighter than the old models and thinner with a slightly larger screen - and my colleague claims it's noticeably faster.

Other than that it's exactly the same as he old iPhone. Big whoop.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

iPhone 5 screen quality looking pretty damn good...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57519 ... hone-wins/
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:iPhone 5 screen quality looking pretty damn good...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57519 ... hone-wins/
If there is 1 thing that I cannot fault with Apple products, its that screen.

I do not understand why Samsung doesn't use the same tech on their phones, seeing as they supply the damn things to Apple?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

The iPhone 5 screens are supplied by Sharp AFAIK...
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

D3PART3D wrote:The iPhone 5 screens are supplied by Sharp AFAIK...
Apparently, we are both wrong, they are made by LG?

Are LG phones screens good then?
Last edited by GreyWolf on 25 Sep 2012, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ADT

Post by ADT »

I just do not see the point why they had to use a nano sim for the 5, saw a video last week how to convert A sim to nano sim - what a unnecessary slep
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Do we have a local launch date yet? Or even local pricing?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ADT wrote:I just do not see the point why they had to use a nano sim for the 5, saw a video last week how to convert A sim to nano sim - what a unnecessary slep
Some would have you believe that "Apple is always thinking ahead, and the reason for the nano sim will be revealed at some future point"
I think they do it just to show the operators who's in charge. "Oh you want to make money selling our phones? Well little b****, you need to buy these special sims that only our phones use. You didn't really think we would make thing easy did you?
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:Do we have a local launch date yet? Or even local pricing?
Nothing yet. I'm guessing November sometime, probably around the same price as the 4S was new.
ADT wrote:I just do not see the point why they had to use a nano sim for the 5, saw a video last week how to convert A sim to nano sim - what a unnecessary slep
Probably needed to spare the space to make the phone thinner.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Well I cut my original sim into a micro sim, so now I'll attempt to cut that even smaller into a nano sim... :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Do they have nano SIMs in South Africa yet? I'm just thinking about all those guys that bought iPhone 5s from overseas.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

GreyWolf wrote:Are LG phones screens good then?
They're using a similar screen for the upcoming Optimus G:
AnandTech wrote:It's the LG Optimus G, and is based around a 4.7-inch 1280x768 IPS display with in-cell touch from LG Display
Stuart wrote:Do they have nano SIMs in South Africa yet? I'm just thinking about all those guys that bought iPhone 5s from overseas.
Nope. :lol:

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

So because they want to make sim cards smaller the world must just follow? Sorry I am not a monkey. :P
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

It's called progress and Nokia tried it too :P

- Elon Musk
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

D3PART3D wrote:It's called progress and Nokia tried it too :P
And look what happened to them :P
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

They planned on using the smaller sims for the high-end updated Lumia phones. You know, the phones that brought Nokia back to the fight?

- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

D3PART3D wrote:They planned on using the smaller sims for the high-end updated Lumia phones. You know, the phones that brought Nokia back to the fight?
What fight? :? They are still lagging behind greatly and in my personal opinion if this new launch with WinMo 8 does not take off they will be dead in the water. We will probably see old Elop given the boot... But anyway Apple thread for Apple talk...

So with the 4 is was antenna gate with the 5 its scratch and light leak gate. Makes you wonder why you need to buy the first model when the refresh has all the fixes...

Huge respect for Apple for making their new processor layout by hand.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09/de ... e-by-hand/
Detailed analysis of Apple A6 core reveals layout done by hand
X-ray micrographs also confirm 32nm high K process.

Over the last week, more and more details of Apple's custom A6 processor design have come to light, including a custom armv7s-compatible core design and its triple-core GPU. Detailed analysis by Chipworks and iFixit have revealed that Apple's custom ARM core design appears to have been laid out by hand instead of by computer algorithms—a time-consuming process that can result in optimized high-frequency operation.

Engineers at Chipworks used ion beam etching to remove all the casing material from the A6's die, and then used a variety of high-powered microscopes to peer into its structure. The detailed layout of the dual ARM cores isn't typical of integrated circuits that are increasingly laid out using software, instead suggesting an approach that is becoming more rare in today's microprocessors.

"It looks like the ARM core blocks were laid out manually—as in, by hand," iFixit's Miroslav Djuric said via e-mail. "A manual layout will usually result in faster processing speeds, but it is much more expensive and time-consuming."

"The manual layout of the ARM processors lends much credence to the rumor that Apple designed a custom processor of the same caliber as the all-new Cortex A15," according to Djuric, referring to its compatibility with the more advanced armv7s architecture also used by the Cortex A15. The previous A5 design used a tweaked Cortex A9 core, which is less powerful at the same clock speed than either the A6 or the Cortex A15 and uses the less-capable armv7 architecture.

That time-consuming manual layout process would also certainly help explain why it took Apple over four years from its acquisition of fab-less design firm PA Semi to release its own custom silicon for its mobile devices. Based on our experience with the iPhone 5, the hard work is paying off in spades.

The overall A6 die area is 96.71mm2, compared to approximately 70mm2 for the 32nm variant of the A5 processor. A close look at a cross-section of the A6 confirms that it is also built on Samsung's 32nm high-K process, giving Apple extra area for additional functional blocks, like the dedicated image signal processor and extra GPU core.

iFixit and Chipworks also peeked into a few other chips on the iPhone 5's logic board, including an Apple-branded digital audio amplifier from Cirrus Logic, a Murata Wi-Fi module, and Qualcomm's MDM9615 baseband.
This is where I start liking all new releases when information like this gets reveled.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Anakha56 wrote: What fight? :? They are still lagging behind greatly and in my personal opinion if this new launch with WinMo 8 does not take off they will be dead in the water.
Lagging behind? In which way? Spec wise? Market share? There's only so much you can do on a smartphone before you head into Toys R Us tablet territory :P . Nokia is getting the essentials right.
Anakha56 wrote: But anyway Apple thread for Apple talk...
Yessir :salute: :cya:

- Elon Musk
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

@D3 if you want to chat about Nokia and the lack of speed of them coming to the market, start a new thread ;). I will gladly discuss all things Nokia in that thread but my feelings towards the OS are the same about Apple's and the new BB10, its as boring as watching paint dry... ;)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

No thanks Anakha - I don't think it's an important discussion. It's just the Tireless Rebutter in me that gets into these discussions and it's a hard habit to nuke :lol: I respect that everyone has their own opinion.

- Elon Musk
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:Do they have nano SIMs in South Africa yet? I'm just thinking about all those guys that bought iPhone 5s from overseas.
LIKE ryan said, you can just cut it, but you should know what you're doing :P
Spoiler (show)
DeathStrike

Post by DeathStrike »

And if you screw it up then you have to pay for a new sim and try again.. No thanks. It's crazy that you can by sim at pick n pay for 99c but the service provider charges up to R200 for sim swop.
SIG by HMAN 8)
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me