Which Media Centre?

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Which Media Centre?

Post by DeathStrike »

Hi Guys,

I will be getting married in December and will have a nice full HD tv. YAY ME! :) :lol: That was just a bit of background so you know why i want to do this.

So to the point. I have been using XBMC on my current pc to manage all my media for some time now. Now that i am getting married i want to get a dedicated media centre.

I read about boxee, roku, xbmc and the apple tv.

I want to know which one you guys think is the best?

Thanks.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: Which Media Centre?

Post by Monty »

Build your own pc

XBMC is a nice player.

However, I use Media Browser.

And then use media center master to manage your media (Works with both)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Build your own pc
thats the comparatively expensive way out

i bought an HP Proliant microserver in a group buy at R899 - upgraded the ram to 4gigs for 200bucks and added a graphics card (Sapphire radeon HD6450) for R500 and now all i need to spend on is the harddrives that im adding to it

i have a choice of using windows or linux or even Mountain Lion in the form of a hackintosh (as per TonymacX86 website) for the operating system or i could even use a flash drive and use XBMCbuntu and i can add whatever software i chose

it works brilliantly as a media server as well as a media playback device with all the relevant software installed - and k-lite codec pack works better for me than XBMC does and i really, really want to try out mediaportal

I also have a media player ie a mede8er 500x2 which is way cheaper than building up a PC - that allows me lots of advantages ie my mkv files can actually play HD audio over HDMI (thats dolby true HD and DTS-HD(master audio) which a PC will struggle to play without the relevant software ie its one of the reasons why i want to try media portal since i havent been able to configure XBMC and k-lite codec pack to pass through the HD audio to my AV receiver

so yep there are many ways to do what you want to do it all depends how far you wish to go and how much you want to spend and if you have the required supporting ancillary equipment ie sound systems which can playback HD audio as well as 3D tv's
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

We have a Medi8er - not sure if that is the same thing. We convert and transfer before we watch.

And congratulations on getting hitched! May it be a wonderful union.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm a Mede8er man too. The only one of those you mentioned I've actually seen in the flesh is the Apple TV, which works very nice for the friend who has it, but it must be said that he is a huge Apple fanboi (iPhone for him and wife, several different iPods, iPad, iMac, MacBook and Apple TV all under the same roof).
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

Thanks for the tips guys.

We have an apple tv here at the office. My office is full of apple fanbois. :)

I was hoping for an alternative. it only costs $99 so it probably is the cheapest easiest solution.

@naughty I will be looking out for HP Proliant microserver
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU