The Apple Lawsuit Thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Samsung loses to Apple: Google next?

Post by Anakha56 »

Oh and take a look at a non-biased read...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/sams ... windows-8/
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote:/side note there is nothing Apple in my house and nor will there ever be, I refuse to support this company.
I feel the same about Samsung, considering selling my washer/dryer. :o
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

ryanrich wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:/side note there is nothing Apple in my house and nor will there ever be, I refuse to support this company.
I feel the same about Samsung, considering selling my washer/dryer. :o
And what get a Apple? :roll:

http://inventors.about.com/od/wstartinv ... chines.htm
According to this you need to get a "Thor" washing machine if you want the original.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Anakha56 wrote:But what is peeving me off is that every pleb on the street thinks Apple invented crud when in fact they stole the idea from someone else. What makes me even more angry is that Apple (and by extension its legion of its cry baby fanbois) are crying foul when people copy them but refuse to acknowledge that they (Apple) themselves are the greatest technology thieves in the tech world. Its the typical pot calling the kettle black and why am I the only person seeing this? You lot keep on defending them but as soon as it is shown that they stole the idea from someone else you get tight lipped and say "They have a patent." and carry on defending the original criminals it is infuriating. But hey lets keep on supporting the criminals and live our lives with the blinkers on, its helped them "invent" so much already... :roll:

/side note there is nothing Apple in my house and nor will there ever be, I refuse to support this company.
You are not- I feel the same way. But as you're probably seeing right now, you are just wasting your breath. Which is why I no longer really say anything about it.
(I have an iPod classic, but it's an old, 2nd-hand refurbished unit that I bought way back before all this BS started- and that is also where it ended)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Stuart wrote:if it was much of a farce as Groklaw and rustypup think it was then the entire decision will be thrown out. We shall see.
Its not an if. It is a farce :wink:
Anakha56 wrote:But what is peeving me off is that every pleb on the street thinks Apple invented crud when in fact they stole the idea from someone else. What makes me even more angry is that Apple (and by extension its legion of its cry baby fanbois) are crying foul when people copy them but refuse to acknowledge that they (Apple) themselves are the greatest technology thieves in the tech world. Its the typical pot calling the kettle black and why am I the only person seeing this? You lot keep on defending them but as soon as it is shown that they stole the idea from someone else you get tight lipped and say "They have a patent." and carry on defending the original criminals it is infuriating. But hey lets keep on supporting the criminals and live our lives with the blinkers on, its helped them "invent" so much already... :roll:

/side note there is nothing Apple in my house and nor will there ever be, I refuse to support this company.
+10000

I would rather eat my own hand than buy something from them, its both a copy and a ripp off.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote:groklaw post on the joke...
Thanks for that link rusty. Only had time to peruse it now. Good stuff. And the reason trial by jury isn't a good idea.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:why am I the only person seeing this? You lot keep on defending them but as soon as it is shown that they stole the idea from someone else you get tight lipped and say "They have a patent." and carry on defending the original criminals it is infuriating.
Lol, you clearly haven't read this thread properly. Neither Ryan nor I have remotely suggested that Apple has invented everything that they've patented. In fact, quite the opposite, we've openly acknowledged that most of Apple's patents are not their own inventions.

Further, neither of us has defended the granting of those patents. Again, if you read carefully, you'll see that we both think that many of the patents granted to Apple are for obvious features that should never be patentable.

But our opinions on the matter mean nothing in the big scheme. The fact remains that Apple does hold patents, and they have the right (and probably the obligation for their shareholders) to protect those patents. If you seriously think that it's unjust for a company to protect patents it has been granted, you are clearly blinded by some bias against that company.
Anakha56 wrote:Oh and take a look at a non-biased read...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/28/sams ... windows-8/
The article I quoted is simply making the point that Samsung's S Launcher looks suspiciously like Apple's dock. Without even arguing the merits of any patent that Apple may hold on the dock, the question is quite simple: If Samsung is going to make a dock, why in the name of all that is good and holy do they not at least make it look different to Apple's dock? Are they trying to get themselves sued again?
THE_STIG wrote:
Stuart wrote:if it was much of a farce as Groklaw and rustypup think it was then the entire decision will be thrown out. We shall see.
Its not an if. It is a farce :wink:
Well, then, Mr. American Lawyer, I suppose it will certainly be declared a mistrial, in which case there is no need for you to get your panties all in a knot about the decision.
THE_STIG wrote: I would rather eat my own hand than buy something from them, its both a copy and a ripp off.
By all means then, go and buy the completely original, never seen before, 100%-invented-by-ourselves Samsung product instead.
doo_much wrote:And the reason trial by jury isn't a good idea.
Now here we finally have someone talking some sense. I'm not intricately versed in the American legal system, but it does seem to me that this kind of trial is never something that should be put before a jury to begin with.

Alas, it is what it is, and everyone just has to live with the outcome.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

A company does have the right to protect its patents however they should be original patents and not something that has been used before ala Apple style. None of their patents that I have read are original, they are all copies of someone else's hard work.

I do dislike Apple and I do wish Samsung would be a little more original but that dock in question looks nothing like the Mac in fact it carries more resemblance to Rocket Dock.

The whole reason why I am so up in arms over this whole debacle is because Apple is arguing that their work is original and needs to be protected meanwhile none of it carries any originality and is a mere clone of something else and they dont pay royalties to that persons or companies hard work.

Also I am trying to cut off any Apple fan from jumping into this thread and declaring that Apple is the king of all inventions.

Will wait out December 6th to see what the results are:

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/hearing-on-a ... 87-11.html
Hearing on Apple injunction vs Samsung set for December

San Francisco: A US judge on Tuesday set a December 6 court date to hear Apple Inc's request for a permanent injunction against Samsung Electronics' smartphones, which could delay the potential impact of Apple's crushing legal victory.
Apple on Monday identified eight devices it will seek preliminary injunctions against, and said it would file for a permanent sales ban.
A hearing about the preliminary injunctions had been scheduled for September 20 but it is not clear if this issue will be addressed at that hearing or moved to December.

In an order on Tuesday, US District Judge Lucy Koh said that due to the scope of Apple's preliminary injunction request, she believed it was "appropriate" that various post-trial motions be consolidated.
The September 20 hearing will be devoted to Samsung's request to dissolve a sales ban against its Galaxy Tab 10.1. The jury sided with Samsung on that part of the case.
Apple's permanent injunction request will be considered in December - after attorneys file detailed legal arguments. Representatives for Apple and Samsung could not immediately be reached for comment.
Apple was awarded $1.05 billion in damages last week after a US jury found Samsung had copied critical features of the iPhone and iPad.
The verdict sent Samsung's shares tumbling on Monday as investors fretted about the potential impact to its sales with the peak US holiday season just months away. They have since regained some ground to trade 4.6 per cent below their pre-verdict price.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:A company does have the right to protect its patents however they should be original patents and not something that has been used before ala Apple style.
Actually, a company as a right to protect its patents regardless of how original or unoriginal those patents might be. It a patent has been granted, the company has the right to correct them.

Ideally, patents should not be granted on unoriginal, easily-reproducible, obvious features--particularly of a design nature--but if they are granted the the holding company has every right to protect them. Really, all Samsung should do is take the ideas it wants to use and make them its own.
Anakha56 wrote:I do wish Samsung would be a little more original but that dock in question looks nothing like the Mac
You really think so? I dunno, it looks an awful lot like an Mac dock to me. :?

I appreciate what Samsung is trying to do in restoring the Windows Start Menu, but I do think they could make the design a little more unique.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:A company does have the right to protect its patents however they should be original patents and not something that has been used before ala Apple style.
Actually, a company as a right to protect its patents regardless of how original or unoriginal those patents might be. It a patent has been granted, the company has the right to correct them.
You are right. My apologies.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:Actually, a company as a right to protect its patents regardless of how original or unoriginal those patents might be. It a patent has been granted, the company has the right to correct them
"Forget about the foundation made of matchsticks, all we have to worry about is that the walls are strong enough to support the building alterations, cos thats where all the stress is."

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote:Actually, a company as a right to protect its patents regardless of how original or unoriginal those patents might be. It a patent has been granted, the company has the right to correct them
"Forget about the foundation made of matchsticks, all we have to worry about is that the walls are strong enough to support the building alterations, cos thats where all the stress is."

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
So you're suggesting that Apple has no legal right to protect its patents?
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:So you're suggesting that Apple has no legal right to protect its patents?
If the patents themselves are questionable the yes, of course!

It is ludicrous to me that one can defend the right of ownership of somehting that is not theirs to own!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Greywolf - I think the root issue here is the habit of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to allow patents (and trademarks) for just about anything and to anybody.

Do yourself a favour and read Ratso's first post in this thread. First page, second post.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
Stuart wrote:So you're suggesting that Apple has no legal right to protect its patents?
If the patents themselves are questionable the yes, of course!

It is ludicrous to me that one can defend the right of ownership of somehting that is not theirs to own!
It doesn't matter how ludicrous the patents are. If they are legally granted they are legally protected, regardless of how you feel about them.

I reiterate what I have been saying throughout: The problem lies not with the courts or with Apple protecting its legally granted patents, but with the n00bs at the patent office who grant the ludicrous patents to begin with. You cannot seriously complain about someone seeking to protect rights granted to him by law. You can question whether those rights should have been granted to him in the first place.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:The problem lies not with the courts or with Apple protecting its legally granted patents, but with the n00bs at the patent office who grant the ludicrous patents to begin with.
as amusing as it is, perhaps we can drop the apologetics and call it what it is. a patent troll is a patent troll.

not that iVictims will ever equate the almighty fruit to something like uniloc, but the difference is one of personal perception.

i would not for one moment pretend apple is alone in this silliness. they're all playing the game. but apple is pushing the absurd envelope...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote: i would not for one moment pretend apple is alone in this silliness. they're all playing the game. but apple is pushing the absurd envelope...
Agreed 100% but Apple all other companies can only do so because their inane patents are legally protected. Sadly, with a phenomenal verdict like this, I suspect it's only going to drive companies to even more creative patents, and if history is anything to go by, said patents will continue to be granted (at least in the US) and things will just go from bad to worse.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Only good thing about China is they will screw you over on IP as soon as they can
And when patent rights are evaluated the validity of the patent should also be looked at to bad the law is a bit retarded in that regard
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

CapNemo wrote:And when patent rights are evaluated the validity of the patent should also be looked at to bad the law is a bit retarded in that regard
As someone not schooled in American law, I'd actually be interested to know if juries do have that power. I'm acting on the assumption that they don't.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Stuart wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:I would rather eat my own hand than buy something from them, its both a copy and a ripp off.
By all means then, go and buy the completely original, never seen before, 100%-invented-by-ourselves Samsung product instead.
Ah, but you see Samsung don't go around claiming they are the inventors of everything and then filing patents for something which they did not even invent :wink:

//Well maybe they do a bit of that but not to the extent that apple have done
Last edited by THE_STIG on 29 Aug 2012, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Nine jurors in the Federal Court of the Northern District of California, handed Apple a big victory against Samsung, awarding Apple $1.05 billion in damages, finding all seven of Apple’s patents valid, finding Samsung infringed six of Apple’s patents, and finding Apple not to have infringed any of Samsung’s five patents.

The previous biggest intellectual property award of the year was handed down on August 1, 2012 in favor of Monsanto (MON) for $1 billion against DuPont (DD), but the history of big patent awards surviving appeals does not bode well for Apple.

Read more
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

You got my hopes up for nothing... :(

Typical Apple fanboi :P...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Anakha56 wrote:
You got my hopes up for nothing... :(

Typical Apple fanboi :P...
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Does that method strike anyone else as the kind of thing Google would do? Or is it just me?
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.