The Apple Lawsuit Thread

A place for all tech stuff that doesn't really belong anywhere else.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Samsung loses to Apple: Google next?

Post by Tribble »

It all began with Star Trek - they should sue Apple, Samsung, heck anyone with a smart phone on the market and tablets too. Come to think of it - any cell phone that snaps open should be sued too.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

^^ :)

It started all the way back when Apple first sued Microsoft for stealing their GUI, a case they lost. What happened to case law?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

rustypup wrote:this nonsense has even started rewriting history now?

apple has never produced an original design. they're a marketing company selling over priced knock-offs to mouth-breathers while suing all and sundry over IP they've purloined via the yanks imminently dysfunctional patent system, (hardly a unique business approach.. mickeysoft ahs been playing that game for far longer)...
:notworthy:

Don't think I have ever agreed more
jamin_za wrote: I'm now eagerly waiting for Apple to realise that the i-pod infringed on the i-phones copyright and to file a lawsuit against itself.
One which will hopefully bankrupt the company and thus put the course of consumer electronics back on track so that innovation rather than branding and shiny sparkly packaging is the driving force behind sales
Stranger things have happened.....

Still cant believe that the court actually passed that nonsense, somebody could go and claim they have the patent for the wheel and that court would pass it :roll:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

THE_STIG wrote:
Still cant believe that the court actually passed that nonsense:
Again, the court is not at fault here. The simple fact is that Apple holds patents that are protected by law. Samsung violated some of those patents and was punished.

The problem lies with the patent office granting those patents in the first place. The office seems to have lost the plot, granting patents on obvious features that should never be patentable in the first place.

The real need here is not more lenient litigation but more common sense at the patent office level.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:Samsung violated some of those patents and was punished.
nope. read the groklaw write-up and follow-up. the jury was out of its depth.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Stuart wrote:Again, the court is not at fault here. The simple fact is that Apple holds patents that are protected by law. Samsung violated some of those patents and was punished.

The problem lies with the patent office granting those patents in the first place. The office seems to have lost the plot, granting patents on obvious features that should never be patentable in the first place.

The real need here is not more lenient litigation but more common sense at the patent office level.
But how can the court even enforce such bs. Surely they must have looked at it and said "this is their patent, no way"
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

THE_STIG wrote:But how can the court even enforce such bs. Surely they must have looked at it and said "this is their patent, no way"
The jury wasn't here being asked to decide the validity of the patents, only to decide whether or not Samsung had infringed on patents already granted. Time will tell. If it was much of a farce as Groklaw and rustypup think it was then the entire decision will be thrown out. We shall see.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Holding thumbs here
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

engadget on the debacle...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Enrique Gutirrez from the web development company Digithrive recently wrote about an interesting phenomonon happening at his local Starbucks. As two customers sat down to read the morning paper, they began having a conversation about the biggest news of the day: Apple's victory over Samsung. But the conversation did not proceed the way one might expect:

Guy: “Wait, so what they’re saying is, Samsung is the same as Apple?”

Friend: “I know, right? Makes me think twice about how much I paid for my Mac Book”

Guy: “Seriously”

Read more
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:engadget on the debacle...
Erm . . . you should probably read the second post in this thread. ;)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Who is copying who again?

http://laughedge.com/perfect-proof-to-p ... cottapple/
Yes Apple is the pinnacle of innocence... :/
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I doubt any clear-thinking individual would declare Apple to be the pinnacle of innocence, but I also fail to see how any clear-thinking individual can think it unjustified for Apple to try and protect its granted patents inasmuch as the law permits. Just because Apple copied some of Android's features doesn't mean it now loses all right to protect its patents. Let Google/Samsung sue in return if they want. They have as much right to protect their patents as Apple does.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

@Stu its for the fanbois who profess that everything Apple is gold and that Apple invented everything ;). Onto the last part of your post...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosn ... s-imports/
The Empire Strike Back! Google's Motorola Files Patent Suit To Block Apple's U.S. Imports

While we all wait to see the outcome of the Apple vs. Samsung trial, Google is not sitting around and waiting to get sued next. Yesterday, reports Bloomberg, Google’s newly acquired Motorola unit filed for patent-infringement against Apple with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). The complaint would block Apple’s import of iPhones, iPads, iPod Touchs and some Macintosh models.
The silliness continues!
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:I doubt any clear-thinking individual would declare Apple to be the pinnacle of innocence, but I also fail to see how any clear-thinking individual can think it unjustified for Apple to try and protect its granted patents inasmuch as the law permits. Just because Apple copied some of Android's features doesn't mean it now loses all right to protect its patents. Let Google/Samsung sue in return if they want. They have as much right to protect their patents as Apple does.
+++ yet again.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Now, here's my question in all of this: Will any of these lawsuits ever affect us here in South Africa? Most of them will block sales of products in the US or Europe, so they're obviously country or region specific. To block sales of a product in South Africa, would they have to argue in a South African court? Or could our market potentially be affected by a court case elsewhere?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Samsung just doesn’t get it. They just got brutally dominated in the Apple vs Samsung trial for copying a ton of Apple UI elements, so what do they do? Go out and copy OS X for their Windows 8 machines.

Read more
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

:lol:

KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

:lol:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:
Samsung just doesn’t get it. They just got brutally dominated in the Apple vs Samsung trial for copying a ton of Apple UI elements, so what do they do? Go out and copy OS X for their Windows 8 machines.

Read more
*sigh* Please do yourself a favour and go read this article: http://www.dailytech.com/Analysis+Samsu ... e25544.htm Apple DID NOT "invent" the friggin dock!!! In the words of Steve Jobs ""We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." - Steve Jobs (1996 - Triumph of the nerds - About stealing the idea of a graphic OS from Xerox)" they stole the idea the from Arthur OS and did not credit or pay anything to the original designer. Oh and also bear in mind Stardock has been around since 1991 and also making docks prior to Apple. This BS has to stop Apple has invented virtually nothing and they get all the friggin credit... :(
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

They modify and market - and they are very good at it.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

ryanrich wrote::lol:

So Apple is nothing more than a pretty face?
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote: Apple DID NOT "invent" the friggin dock!!!
I never said they did.

I'd like to think that if this exercise has taught us anything it's that it doesn't matter who invented something, but who patented it. If Samsung is going to copy an idea, they should at least make it look different.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stuart wrote:
Anakha56 wrote: Apple DID NOT "invent" the friggin dock!!!
I never said they did.

I'd like to think that if this exercise has taught us anything it's that it doesn't matter who invented something, but who patented it. If Samsung is going to copy an idea, they should at least make it look different.
And also who takes an idea, does it properly, and markets it brilliantly.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

But what is peeving me off is that every pleb on the street thinks Apple invented crud when in fact they stole the idea from someone else. What makes me even more angry is that Apple (and by extension its legion of its cry baby fanbois) are crying foul when people copy them but refuse to acknowledge that they (Apple) themselves are the greatest technology thieves in the tech world. Its the typical pot calling the kettle black and why am I the only person seeing this? You lot keep on defending them but as soon as it is shown that they stole the idea from someone else you get tight lipped and say "They have a patent." and carry on defending the original criminals it is infuriating. But hey lets keep on supporting the criminals and live our lives with the blinkers on, its helped them "invent" so much already... :roll:

/side note there is nothing Apple in my house and nor will there ever be, I refuse to support this company.